Thread: ford front coil springs on front of zj

Icon928 ford front coil springs on front of zj

i was told i can use ford factory coil springs on the front of my zj and put my jeep factory springs in the backfor 3.5 inches of lift just needed to know if it would? or if anybody has any info on this i could use. thanks
    95 5.2 limited ZJ lifted 5.5" on 33s

Never heard of using Ford springs before, but you can take your FRONT Factory springs that you have on Now and put them in the back which will give the back about a 3.5" lift and then Buy (2) New 3.5" Coils Springs and put them in the FRONT and get a 3.5" lift that way. Here is a picture of a ZJ with the "Front to Rear Swap" http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7624073518158/ And you could get a set of springs for the Front like these http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ
    Last edited by TX59GRAND; 01-04-2011 at 04:48 AM.
    1998 White 5.9 Grand Cherokee Limited, 3inch Skyjacker Springs, Doetsch Tech Shocks, Kevins Offroad Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconects, Summit Mud Dawg tires 235/85-16, Lincoln Mark VIII 18" radiator fan http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7620884032909/

I think it has to be the front springs off of a V-8 ZJ, if yer gonna swap them to the rear.
    85 CJ-7 Nuttered w/ TeamRush upgrade & 8,000 lb winch
    94 5.2 Grand ZJ 250,000 + On the road again w/242 swap

I think that's what he meant to say...

He wants to move the front springs to the back and put Ford springs on the front.

Charger, are you saying he can't do that with his 4.0 ZJ, that it has to be V8 springs?

We have no idea what Ford springs he's talking about though. F-150, what year? maybe?
    94 5.2 Ltd. Selec Trac
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-Trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

sorry guys im a noob to this stuff im trying to learn lol but yes tcar your right i want to move my factory front springs to the rear and put 87 ford bronco on the front the length is about the same and i was told by some of the guys i wheel with that it would work i just wanted to see if anybody on here had done it before me.
    and its doesn't have to be the 5.9 or the 5.2 springs i do know that the 4.0 springs work just as good

Registered

they talked about this in the JP magazine, but basically as long as the bronco springs are the same diameter so they sit on the plate, (or i suppose take the long route and put new spring plates in) the f150 springs will give you lift as they were designed for a heavier vehicle, same as the front springs lift the rear bc they were designed to hold the weight of the motor.

this used to be the "budget boost" because you could get the springs from a wrecking yard and add a leafs for cheap.
    93 GC laredo, 5.2

4" RC x flex arms
    3/4" IRO isolators
    IRO F/R adj track bars
    8.8 swap w/ IRO bracket kit
    Solid Axle diff cover

do you know what ford springs i need because the bronco spring awas the same lenght as shock i need 305 bigger

85 CJ-7 Nuttered w/ TeamRush upgrade & 8,000 lb winch
    94 5.2 Grand ZJ 250,000 + On the road again w/242 swap

thanks charger that thread help out alot

Quote Originally Posted by Zallison View Post
    you could get the springs from a wrecking yard and add a leafs for cheap.
    What????

You talking about adding LEAF springs????
    94 5.2 Ltd. Selec Trac
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-Trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

In a fit of horrible longing and despicable cheapness, I put bronco springs on the front of my xj with the chevy 350 motor. I do not advise doing this. The spring rate on the bronco coils are so much higher than the jeeps that you will regret the ride. I did wheel with these springs and, despite the banging and scraping on the frame they caused, they worked very well. I removed my sway bars as they were no longer needed due to the super stiff springs. I am about 220#s and was able to stand on my front bumper without the suspension compressing even 1/8 of an inch. I do realized you are talking about a grand and not an xj but I can't imagine they are that much heavier. I did get about 3" of lift out of the deal but eventually had to remove them. It was almost undrivable.
    95 zj, 5.2 v8, completely stock, for now
    87 xj with Chevy TPI 350, 700r4 trans
    Hybrid Chevy/Jeep NP231 case, Megasquirt ECU
    Extra leafs in rear, v8 grand springs up front
    31 x 10.5's, put to shame a pair of H2's in every way.

If you're gonna do it, make it your own!

Registered

No I was refering to vehicles that ran leaf spring rears, the add a leafs are cheap.

So if you had a front coil rear leaf vehicle, you could source the front springs from a wreckin yard out of a vehicle that was a weight class above yours (ie 1/4 ton up to a 1/2 ton) then grab a set of add a leafs and for much cheaper than the cost of buying a new lift you have done a budget boost.

our jeeps are coiled on all four corners, so the add a leafs are obviously out, but the idea of coils from a heavier weight class vehicle still applies.
    93 GC laredo, 5.2

4" RC x flex arms
    3/4" IRO isolators
    IRO F/R adj track bars
    8.8 swap w/ IRO bracket kit
    Solid Axle diff cover

no guys im not stupid i know zj did have leaf springs when i said springs i meant coil spring i thought yall might of got that but i guess not

anyways cs350xj you answered my question