Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TJ locking hubs

Default TJ locking hubs

I was thinking the other night. I would like to put locking hubs on my TJ. I was thinking I could buy a Ford HP d44 and cut it down to TJ size and use my ARB and superior inner axles and use the outers from the Ford with locking hubs. I can drill out my rear bolt pattern to match the Ford. What do you think?
    Last edited by valfam; 12-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.
    Ruben
    01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

07 JK Rubicon | Banks Cold air intake | Banks Monster exhaust | ARB front and rear bumpers | Warn 9/5 Ti | OME 4inch JK lift SOLD :-(

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Valfam

Registered

I wouldn't do all that work JUST for locking hubs. If it were my Jeep, I would check into doing something like you said for the front and instead of re-drilling the rear I would look into a 9" or 60.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

i have the warn small hub kit on mine. when $$ allows i plan on doing the ford hp 44 deal you're thinking of. i have the super 44 kit in the rear so i have dual patterned axles.
    00 sahara 8" skyjacker lift, 8274, 30 locked warn hub conversion, super 44, 38 kevlars, warn bumpers, or-fab trail cage.

Overthinking Underbuilder

Quote Originally Posted by valfam View Post
    I was thinking the other night. I would like to put locking hubs on my TJ. I was thinking I could buy a Ford HP d44 and cut it down to TJ size and use my ARB and superior inner axles and use the outers from the Ford with locking hubs. I can drill out my rear bolt pattern to match the Ford. What do you think?
    The money you would spend narrowing the front to match the rear could be used to build a 9" or D60 or even a 6 lug 14 bolt to match the WMS of the new front. 9" disc brake conversions are pricey but you can get a 4.88 drop in third with a detroit off of ebay for relatively cheap.
    '97 Ol' Iron TJ, 4.0 - SM465- KLUNE Goliath/ Dana 20 -Shaved Eaton Rear - HP60 front w/14" ORIs, 40" Maxxis Sticky Trepadors.
    7/8ths Ton TJ Build Thread - aka Ol' Iron TJ
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=497945
    1 Ton Used to be a Rubicon Build - D60/14B, C/Os, w/ 42"s on 20" Trail readys. Lots of Bling.
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=510398

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
    The money you would spend narrowing the front to match the rear could be used to build a 9" or D60 or even a 6 lug 14 bolt to match the WMS of the new front.
    Unless you can do it yourself. I have only my time and the cost of welding consumables in narrowing mine. Not everyone can do this, but I know when I did mine I had never done it before nor had any of my friends. I researched alot, measured even more, cut and burned it back in. It was pretty straight forward, just intimidating. Obviously you need to understand your welding skills, and know weather you CAN properly do this or not. If I remember correctly the local shop that does this professionally quoted me $250 to narrow the housing. Thats still cheaper than I had thought it would be.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

Registered

you can always try the deadenbear/reid racing conversion nuckles. allows for chevy/jeep outers with locking hubs to be used on a regular tj dana 30/44.
    97 2.5L on 35's

If you're still running the 38" tires listed in your sig, I'd be looking at building a D60. ...but then you would also need new steering, different rims with appropriate bolt pattern, a new rear, etc.

On a side note; are you still running stock brakes with those 38's?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash- '00 TJ View Post
    If you're still running the 38" tires listed in your sig, I'd be looking at building a D60. ...but then you would also need new steering, different rims with appropriate bolt pattern, a new rear, etc.

On a side note; are you still running stock brakes with those 38's?
    I do have sloted rotors and better pads front and rear but its scary everytime I need to stop, thats another reason why I'm would like to add a dana 44 off a for truck and I would hate to keep putting money in what I have now.
    Ruben
    01 Grand Cherokee - inline 6 - Jeep Hitch Receiver - Jeep Fog-Light kit - Jeep Bug Deflector - Jeep Wind Deflector - Jeep Tow Hooks - Jeep Sub-woofer - OME 1 1/2 coils - Dynomax 2 1/2 Cat back - Running 265 75 16 - K&N air Filter and a modified air box

07 JK Rubicon | Banks Cold air intake | Banks Monster exhaust | ARB front and rear bumpers | Warn 9/5 Ti | OME 4inch JK lift SOLD :-(

Quote Originally Posted by lax22 View Post
    you can always try the deadenbear/reid racing conversion nuckles. allows for chevy/jeep outers with locking hubs to be used on a regular tj dana 30/44.
    that looks great but for $500 plus everthing else I would need to buy I know know if it's worth it. thanks I will keep on eye on it, if I find a cheap axle I may buy it for just then ends.

thanks
    Ruben

Quote Originally Posted by 00tjdriver View Post
    i have the warn small hub kit on mine. when $$ allows i plan on doing the ford hp 44 deal you're thinking of. i have the super 44 kit in the rear so i have dual patterned axles.
    I have the same axles in the back so in the rear I'm good, I would just have to make the front match the rear. I was thinking of getting new rims anyway when I get new tires, I really messed them up last time I went wheeling.
    Ruben

I have the same axles in the back so in the rear I'm good, I would just have to make the front match the rear. I was thinking of getting new rims anyway when I get new tires, I really messed them up last time I went wheeling.
    you're halfway there then, lol.

going to tons is way more than i can afford so that is out for me. i think a 44 up front would be plenty strong for me.

any chance you are gonna hit up jeep beach 2011?

i'm gonna try to make it.
    00 sahara 8" skyjacker lift, 8274, 30 locked warn hub conversion, super 44, 38 kevlars, warn bumpers, or-fab trail cage.

Quote Originally Posted by 00tjdriver View Post
    you're halfway there then, lol.

going to tons is way more than i can afford so that is out for me. i think a 44 up front would be plenty strong for me.

any chance you are gonna hit up jeep beach 2011?

i'm gonna try to make it.
    I hope I can make Jeep Beach this year. 44 are OK with my last YJ with 42 and 5:13 I only broke a few OEM front axles over the course of a few years it was not bad and it was locked front and rear. They way I do most upgrades I will fix it a few times if I see that I'm fixing it more than I'm wheeling then it's time for an upgrade.
    Ruben

I just orderd the new Reid Racing knuckles, the search now starts for all the parts then the new Rims.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Ruben

I've done what you're about to do. Get ready to be amazed. The manual hubs are a tiny advantage compared to the massive increase in braking and steering options.
    I got a Corperate 10 bolt from a '86 3/4 ton Suburban off Craigslist with almost everything I needed for $200. The Corperate 10 bolt and D44 came with the same outers before '87 so either will work with the Reid knuckles. They have different bearing options-big and small. They also had different caliper options-big and small. I think the only thing I needed to complete my conversion was the Warn hubs.

Partsmike.com will become your best friend for parts. You can buy all new outer components from him if you like. I just put in new bearings and seals along with having the rotors turned. I chose to put new new calipers and pads. $17 per caliper and $50ish for all new bearings and seals. Warn premium hubs and the required nut kit were $120ish.

The closest thing to a complication was doing a little grinding on the caliper to clear the 15in rims. You may or may not have this problem depending on what rims and donor axel you have.

I'd be happy to offer any info I have. Feel free to ask any questions.
    El Burro
    2000 TJ, Dana 44 front and rear with Rubi lockers, Dual force power plant 9.5 Warn winch, Warn bumper front and rear, 33x12.5-15, Anti-rock sway bar, Tera-flex SYE, 4in long arm Procomp lift, Air Raid intake, 2 x 2.5gal Viar tanks, Currie HD steering system, Poison Spyder rock knockers.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzardjte View Post
    Partsmike.com will become your best friend for parts. .
    You are not kidding. That guy has everything. So I'm guessing you are running 8 lug all the way around. I want to use Ford outer for the 5 bolt and the Chevy brakes. I have dual pattern rear axles I just have to drill the rear rotors. I was hopping to go to the junk yard tomorrow but I have to work and I do not think they are open on Saturday. When I get into it I will be reaching out to you.

Thanks
    Ruben
    Ruben

I did go 8 lug.
    Here's a mini write up I did on the swap.
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...t=Reid+knuckle
    El Burro
    2000 TJ, Dana 44 front and rear with Rubi lockers, Dual force power plant 9.5 Warn winch, Warn bumper front and rear, 33x12.5-15, Anti-rock sway bar, Tera-flex SYE, 4in long arm Procomp lift, Air Raid intake, 2 x 2.5gal Viar tanks, Currie HD steering system, Poison Spyder rock knockers.

I did go 8 lug.
    Very cool. I'm realling looking forward geting into my jeep again. I can not believe I'm going to be to stop with the new front end.
    Ruben

Registered

I did go 8 lug.
    Just curious as to why you went 8 lug, and how did you swap over the rear 44.

Getting an 8 lug in the rear is the relatively cheap and easy part. D60's and 14 bolts are on craigslist for $200 and just need to be narrowed.

Of course I'm doing it the hard way. That project is about to get started in a week or two. Its gonna be a Currie 9 in housing, leaning towards a true hi9 3rd member, and disk brake outers from a full float 8 lug 14 bolt or D60, all welded up with custom axle shafts.

I thought about 8 lugging the D44 with D60 or 14 bolt outers but its too much work to do and still have a low pinion. Keep in mind I only run 33's and have no plans to go bigger.

I'm gonna do the same with the front at the same time; buy a currie 9 in housing with TJ inner knuckles, the Reid knuckles and everything outside of them will swap over.
    El Burro

Registered

Gotcha. I just saw in your thread you had 44s front and rear and thought both of them were 8 lugs already. Thats why I wondered why you went with that pattern.

I already have a D60 rear that has been narrowed and built by my wife for a Christmas present a few years back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast