Thread: Vari Lok/Hydra Lok differentials questions.

Registered

Icon922 Vari Lok/Hydra Lok differentials questions.

I posted this in JF earlier today, but no responses, so I thought I'd try here too. Sorry to be redundant:

Ok, so I've been on this kick to replace my open D44A axles and differential with the Quadradrive setup (Dana Hydra Lok or Jeep Vari Lok differential). Rear only, as I have a Detroit True Trac in front which is awesome. Anyways, I don't want a locker for various reasons, but seems like most opinions on QD are positive. New the units are about $900, used cheaper but hard to find as I don't have an JY around. I've found some cheaper Hydra Lok diffs for the D44A made by Crown and by Omix-Ada. It seems unlikely to me that these companies could/would actually manufacture this complex limited slip device.

My questions are:
    1. Are these Dana Spicer units just rebranded for Omix and Crown? If so, then I'd get one.

2. If they are actually made by these aftermarket companies, does anyone have an opinion on whether they're as good as the original Dana ones?

I really don't want to go to all the trouble to buy new axles shafts and install if it's a POS. Thanks in advance. 2004 WJ 4.7L Laredo
    2004 WJ Laredo 4.7L - 2.75 KOR lift, QTII, BFG KM2's 245/75R16's on OEM Silverblade1 wheels, 4.10 gears, Front Detroit True-trac, Rear Vari-Lok, Addco Sway Bars, spidertrax wheel spacers, IRO Budget Rocksliders ||
    1990 "Roach" XJ, 2" BB, wheel spacers, 30" Dunlop Mud Rovers
    1996 XJ 4.0L 4.5" RE Lift, 32's, Banks header, Detroit True-trac, (SOLD)
    1989 YJ 4.2L 2.5" Rancho Lift, 32's, AX-15 Transmission (SOLD).

Registered

Dana Spicer provides the Vari-Lok carriers for Jeep, but does not actually make them. I can't remember what company does make them. This same company makes the ones for the Acura MDX too.

I still don't know why you wouldn't want a locker in the rear. You can't put an actuated one in the rear, no, but you could put an aussie or spartan in the rear. Since you are already open, it is even easier. As you know, the vari-lok requires different shafts.

I have vari-lok axles, and I'm looking at replacing the rear axle just so I can have a real locker.
    2004 WJ Charcoal Limited 4.7L H.O., QuadraDrive, Goodyear Wrangler w/Silent Armor Tires
    Raybestos Advanced technology rotors w/ ThermoQuiet pads
    v3 headlights w/HIDs

Registered

Icon922

Hey Baz, thanks for the reply. I forgot about the fact that they were made by someone else and sold to Dana. I'll have to check into that more.

As for the rear locker, the WJ is a DD for both me and my wife. It also serves as the family ski mobile and hunting rig, but spends most of its time driving around the City and suburbs. I'd really like to have a locker in the rear, especially on remote hunting trips in the backcountry, but I think a Spartan locker is going to be annoying for the majority of the time, and I'm not excited about having it in the snow/ice. I might just scab in an iron D44 pumpkin and an Elocker and be done with it, but trying to keep the cost down. This is like ground hog day for me when I had my XJ in 2003 and the locker selection was limited on the Chry 8.25 rear.

Also, why do you want to get rid of your QD and get a locker? Most of the feedback I've seen on QD has been positive and you live in snow country, too.
    2004 WJ Laredo 4.7L - 2.75 KOR lift, QTII, BFG KM2's 245/75R16's on OEM Silverblade1 wheels, 4.10 gears, Front Detroit True-trac, Rear Vari-Lok, Addco Sway Bars, spidertrax wheel spacers, IRO Budget Rocksliders ||

Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    Hey Baz, thanks for the reply. I forgot about the fact that they were made by someone else and sold to Dana. I'll have to check into that more.

As for the rear locker, the WJ is a DD for both me and my wife. It also serves as the family ski mobile and hunting rig, but spends most of its time driving around the City and suburbs. I'd really like to have a locker in the rear, especially on remote hunting trips in the backcountry, but I think a Spartan locker is going to be annoying for the majority of the time, and I'm not excited about having it in the snow/ice. I might just scab in an iron D44 pumpkin and an Elocker and be done with it, but trying to keep the cost down. This is like ground hog day for me when I had my XJ in 2003 and the locker selection was limited on the Chry 8.25 rear.

Also, why do you want to get rid of your QD and get a locker? Most of the feedback I've seen on QD has been positive and you live in snow country, too.
    Grafting in a Iron D44 is not too hard, I did it on mine, check out my build thread. Also if you are going locker I would not mess with the e locker, get the ARB and be done with it.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
    A few Speed parts, fun to ride
    http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
    Wife's ride, pretty stock

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

What TC do you have?
    2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Registered

Icon922

Quote Originally Posted by wj04 View Post
    what tc do you have?
    nv247.....

Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    nv247.....
    Since your tc is always in 4wd, you can put a auto locker like aussie in the rear and you will hardly notice it onroad.
    2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee