Thread: 00 wj heater blowing luke warm

Default 00 wj heater blowing luke warm

Anyone ever have an issue with the aftermarket heater cores not blowing hot, possibly not enough flow thru them?
    A few months ago i replaced the evap in my wifes wj, while it was apart I also replaced the heater core just for preventative maintainence. Ever since then the heat only blows luke warm, with the exception of being on recirc mode, which it blows a little warmer.
    I know the recirc and blend door motors are functioning.
    The system does not have any air in it.
    Thermostat is opening @ 195 as it should.
    Both heater hoses get piping hot, but still luke warm air?
    I even back flushed the cooling system and heater core, but no luck.
    Any ideas?
    I know there are a ton of threads regarding wj heating problems, but didnt find anything relating to aftermarket heater cores.
    2005 Rubi LJ 35's 5.5 Clayton
    lots of extras

2000 wrangler 35" Goodyears Rock-trac super 88 hp30 4.88Terminator trans 5.5" RE/Clayton lots of xtras. RIP
    2000 WJ 4.0 addco upcountry springs bilsteins
    2001 H-D Duece Black and Chrome (For Sale)
    1997 YZF1000 200mph Superbike (RIP)

Registered

Williambmac,

It should not be your aftermarket heater core - as long as hot coolant goes through it, it will get plenty hot. I replaced my heater core this fall with an AutoZone unit and it gets piping HOT...

Have you ever replaced any of the sub-assembly doors? I read a statement somewhere that said every WJ ever made would eventually experience sub-assembly door failure.... Every one of them!!!

Regards,

Carlos

If your WJ is a Limited, it sure sounds like blend doors. mine did the same thing before turning to no heat. Jeep dealership hooked me up for about $65 for a new blend door kit. The doors are made stronger than original, [one is even aluminum]and has instructions on replacing without removing dash. My heater core just started leaking, so my dash is out right now. Replacing just about everything with upgraded parts, since I don't want to do it twice on the same vehicle. If you do a search, there are many threads telling you how to check for codes on the AZC to verify.
    99 WJ Limited 4.6 stroker,QD/D44A my DD
    99 BMW 323i the wife's
    84 Land Cruiser FJ60-under the knife getting a 5.9 Cummins,Dana 60, corp 14 bolt, NV5600(my Zombie Apocalypse vehicle)
    85 GL1200A Goldwing(my road sofa)

It's a Laredo with the manual control system.
    I know its not definitely not the blend door as I dropped the blower motor out and peaked around inside with my
    Snap-on borescope. I can see the blend door open/close when I move the temp dial on the control head.
    I back flushed the heater core and hooked it up to a coolant flush machine in the shop.
    The heater hoses get nice and hot, but it will only blow luke warm out the vents.
    This has only been happening since I changed the heater core itself.
    I have checked everything and still have yet to come up with a solution. I really don't want to remove the dash because I know that everything went together the same way it came apart.
    lots of extras

2000 wrangler 35" Goodyears Rock-trac super 88 hp30 4.88Terminator trans 5.5" RE/Clayton lots of xtras. RIP

When mine did the same thing I replaced the thermostat. It appaently was hanging open so the coolant never got warm unless you went a ways. I have a 2001 Laredo.
    3" lift with O.M.E HD springs, KOR .75 spacers, MX6 shocks, K.O.R. SS, Rusty's Adj front and rear LCAs , JKS Adj front UCA's, JKS ADJ Track Bar, Addco front and rear swaybars, Tera A Frame Spacer, K&N intake, relocated MAT sensor and 62mm bored throttle body. Mopar tow hooks front and rear, factory front and transaxle skids.

Quote Originally Posted by 01jgcl40 View Post
    When mine did the same thing I replaced the thermostat. It appaently was hanging open so the coolant never got warm unless you went a ways. I have a 2001 Laredo.

It has a brand new mopar t-stat that opens at 195 degrees.
    lots of extras

Registered

does it get hotter when you rev the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-WJ View Post
    does it get hotter when you rev the engine?

Nope.
    lots of extras