Thread: RPM surges while cruise control is on????

Registered

Default RPM surges while cruise control is on????

Hey. I have an 05 Limited 5.7 just bought it an having all kinds of problems with it. So last night while driving home i noticed that while the cruise was on at 100km/h my rpm was surging from 1700 to 2300rpm i slowed down and to 90km/h and the rpms stayed the same and still surging then i slowed down to 80 and that stayed around the same as well. It was almost like it wasn't going into the overdrive gear at 80, there is no way i should be revving around 2000rpm at 80km/h. Another problem is all the gauges are going crazy, lights flashing, then it stops and it says to service electric brake system and my traction control light stays on.

And on top of all that i have front diff bushing gone and a leak in the roof. i'm really starting to wish i never bought this thing.
    Please help

Sounds like a lot of stuff happening all at once, but wonder if it can be somehow related. If your service brake light is coming on then this could be a problem with the ABS, the ABS is partly driven from sensors (speed) that are installed in a few locations including your differential(s). I don't know enough about the WK yet because I've just got mine, but I would start with solving the cause of the brake problem first.

If you don't have a code reader, you could try an AutoZone like place and see if they could pull the codes for you, that would be a good start. If the surging doesn't resolve after the brake problem is fixed, then a check would be to see if the same behavior with surging occurs in that RPM range when not using Cruise Control (and also with/without Overdrive or TOW/HAUL on/off)

Registered

A lot of weird electrical gemlins on WK's are caused by batteries going bad. You battery is now 5 years old.....
    '06 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 (26E), Steel Blue Metallic. 3.7, QTII Trail Rated, Factory Skids, Tow Package, RRO Rock Rails, 245-65-17 Bridgestone REVOS
    Ipod, CB, Leather Steering Wheel, Fog Lights. Black Bear Road Alumni, Elephant Hill Alumni.

.,=====,_____
    //__l_l_o\____\o__
    l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)__(o)_)---o--)_)

Quote Originally Posted by porchy View Post
    Hey. I have an 05 Limited 5.7 just bought it an having all kinds of problems with it. So last night while driving home i noticed that while the cruise was on at 100km/h my rpm was surging from 1700 to 2300rpm i slowed down and to 90km/h and the rpms stayed the same and still surging then i slowed down to 80 and that stayed around the same as well. It was almost like it wasn't going into the overdrive gear at 80, there is no way i should be revving around 2000rpm at 80km/h. Another problem is all the gauges are going crazy, lights flashing, then it stops and it says to service electric brake system and my traction control light stays on.

And on top of all that i have front diff bushing gone and a leak in the roof. i'm really starting to wish i never bought this thing.
    Please help
    Are there lemon laws in Canada? Doubt that Jeep just all of the sudden started having problems after you purchased it. Sounds like your WK was
    thrashed by the previous owner. See if there is a Carfax report...if Canada has that.
    <> '07 WK Limited HEMI <> K&N Intake w/Air Tornado <> MOPAR Performance Exhaust <> 4 inch Superlift w/Bilstein Heavy Duty Front Shocks - Bilstein 4" Rear Shocks w/Remote Resevoir <> Jeepin' By Al's Upper Control Arms <> 285/60R20 Goodyear Duratrac Tires <> American Racing ATX Storm Teflon Coated Wheels <> 4XGUARD HC Skidplates <> JW Speaker 8700 Evolution LED Headlights & KC 3500 Lumen HID Hilites Installed In Headlamp Housing <> Taillight Solutions LEDs <> JW Speaker LED Fog Lights <> Rigid Industries Dually D2 LED Offroad Lights <> Saguaro Grill Insert <>

Registered

Well I brought it to the dealer to look for the clunk and told them about the service lights, they never found any issues with service lights they said they have to tear through the dash. But i found a couple of people that have had the same problem, thinking it's the ignition switch. I have a new battery after it wounldn't start the next morning great start by the way.

Does the MDS have to be reprogramed by the dealer after the battery has been diconnected? It said that in the owners manual. That would kinnda make sense about the rpm surging, I tried it going faster at its normal but as soon as I keep the cruise is under 110 km/hr it starts to surge.

I allso think these problems been there for a while, i did a car fax it was clean. Not to sure about the lemon law don't thinks so.

I had low RPM surging for a LONG time before a check engine code was thrown and when it finally was fixed, the culprit was a bad EGR valve.
    2010 Hemi limited WK Brilliant Black with every option but rear seat DVD.

1998 Camaro SS Midnight Blue every option but the 12 disk changer- Intake lid, Full exhaust, Brembo Cross-Drilled Brakes, and ECU.

Surging while cruise is on or maintaining a certain speed is almost always a TPS issue. Wont usually throw a code unless its really bad. I'd try putting a new OEM TPS in and see what happens.
    '05 WK 5.7 limited: Gibson catback, Volant CAI, Superlift 6" w/the new lower control arms, JBA UCA's, 315/70/17 Duratracs, Painted Moabs, every piece of 4xguard armor, Bilstein struts, Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, Diablosport Intune.
    '04 WJ Overland: 3" IRO lift, IRO catback, Magnaflow res., Bilstein 5125's, Transgo shift kit, 265/65/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers.
    '98 ZJ 5.9 Limited(6.7/408 stroker), KRC210 cam, M1 intake, mopar 1.6 RR's, Edelbrock headers, 3k stall, Eibach lowering springs, NP242.
    '99 XJ Classic 6.5" LA lifted, Aussie, CSF 3 core, 4.56 gears, riddler and solid different covers, Bilsteins, JKS QD's, IRO catback, APN header, Ext. Idle. Blah blah..
    '04 GTO too much to list

Registered

Ya those are good ideas I think I'm gonna change both tps and the egr. I had the same problem with my 03 and i changed the tps and it fixed the problem but I've been serching this site about it on an 05 and havent read anything about the tps and with the km it had the egr must be over do.
    Thanks for the idea's