Thread: Radiator drain plug is leaking

Default Radiator drain plug is leaking

Hey guys the radiator drain plug on my 5.9 is leaking after i chaneghd the fluid last night. I saw a decent sized puddle under the Jeep and took a peak and sure enough its dripping, and its going at a pace like drip.....drip....drip. I tried to tighten it some more but it wont budge its as tight as it goes without breaking it.

How do you fix this ? Its dripping out of the little hole the fluid drains out off, the actually plug is fine, but the hole is leaking. Im guessing maybe the seal is leaking ?

Is this the same plug thats on the 5.9's radiator ? The head looks the same so im guessing it is, how do you take the old plug out ? Do you just unscrew it all the way and pull it out or does it unscrew all the way out ?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-3
    Last edited by candymancan; 11-19-2010 at 11:21 AM.

I believe the whole assembly unscrews out. I had one leak a while back on another vehicle and I removed it and soldered the hole and put it back with no leak. Check at a radiator shop to see if they have a replacement so you can make sure it will unscrew.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
    how do you take the old plug out ? Do you just unscrew it all the way and pull it out or does it unscrew all the way out ?
    Pull while turning counter-clockwise and it will twist out. It will come completely out. You might even be able to just replace the O-ring on it if you can find one. It goes in by pushing in and turning clockwise until it bottoms out.

That part you're looking for is the radiator petcock. Take it off, put in your pocket, go to the parts store then say your petcock is dripping and need the rubber thing that goes on it. If they look confused, say its in my pants, let me pull it out to show you.

Registered

I had the same problem on my 98 ZJ 4.0. I devised a tube, sealed one end of it w/ silicone/RTV, let it dry in the tube, and slipped it over the drain. Leak stopped.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by twojeeps View Post
    That part you're looking for is the radiator petcock. Take it off, put in your pocket, go to the parts store then say your petcock is dripping and need the rubber thing that goes on it. If they look confused, say its in my pants, let me pull it out to show you.
    ROTFL Very funny!

I tole ya those things leak when you loosen em to replace the coolant, always replace with a new one....
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
    H-4/ECE Headlights, Painless Wiring Harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Front and rear tow hitches, Air Lift, Bilsteins
    Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust
    B&M Supercooler

07 WK Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadradrive II

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC/Cobra Drive

Better off not messing with plastic drain plugs period.

Hiding in the Sun

Or brass ones either. That's why, in the future, remove the lower hose instead.

Hiding in the Sun

Or brass ones either. That's why, in the future, remove the lower hose instead. You ought to be able to just replace it w/ a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
    Pull while turning counter-clockwise and it will twist out. It will come completely out. You might even be able to just replace the O-ring on it if you can find one. It goes in by pushing in and turning clockwise until it bottoms out.
    This.

It's just the O-ring that's gone bad. Either go to the hardware store and get an O-ring that fits or get the whole plug for $3. It twists out with a quarter turn and it will pull straight out.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Registered

Plastic rad ends and plastic drain cocks are not like the old metal and brass ones thread in. As mentioned already, pull the lower rad hose its easier. A lot of those drains are harder to get at and usually leak after they are moved. Don't use them.

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ 4x4 283,000km Jan. 2014
    I6 4.0, Transmission Cooler
    Class III In-Bumper hitch
    Westin Safari Light Bar w/big amber driving lights
    Nokian WR SUV All Weather Plus 245P70R/16 - retired due to wear
    Yokohama Geolandar I/T 245P75R/16 on it now. Winter 2014

2009 Jeep Compass 4x4 North Edition, 2.4L, CVT
    101,000km
    Many problems with the Compass - DON'T BUY CHRYSLER JUNK

Nokian WRG2 tires (poor wear, cup easy and real noisy now)
    Markham, ON
    Canada

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by twojeeps View Post
    Bryan in VA
    2004 white 4.0 laredo!..all stock still.
    1997 zj 4.0 219000 miles and retired.
    2001 5.9 dakota,all factory options included
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "What did we really accomplish in IRAQ"

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Chris142 View Post
    Dude!
    thats one rough looking business card!
    Bryan in VA
    2004 white 4.0 laredo!..all stock still.
    1997 zj 4.0 219000 miles and retired.
    2001 5.9 dakota,all factory options included
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "What did we really accomplish in IRAQ"

Banned

Yup, but the kids gotta learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris142 View Post

Ok took the old one out the threads looked messed up, and the o ring was torn in half. Has the crystler stamp on it so its the original im guessing probably why it was so hard to undue in the first place. Poped the new one in and its easy to unscrew and screw in unlike the older one. Doesnt leak anymore.

Thanks. Btw before i flushed the system the lower radiator hose was so far inside i couldnt even get my hand in let alone a a pair of pliers to undue the clamp. Which lower hose are you talking about now, the one connected to the block or the radiator for future refrences

the radiator of course!! its lower than the block inlet so if your gonna drain thats the one to use
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts