Thread: Radio stopped working...

Unhappy Radio stopped working...

So the battery in my Jeep is pretty much toast (i think so anyways) so its dead about 80% of the time. I drove it last Monday, had to jump it off in the morning, it worked for me to get my lunch at 2:30 but was dead at 4:00. I hadn't driven it all week until today, jumped started it at 2:45 and the radio wouldn't work. No clock, no sound, nothing. everything else worked fine it was dead again at 4:00 so i had to jump start it to get home but the radio still wont work. its never given me any problems before. maybe a blown fuse? maybe worse?

EDIT: it is the stock radio
    Last edited by Sk95zJ; 10-25-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added info
    1995 GC Laredo 4x4 - Flame Red
    5.2L V8, Spectre air intake - Cherry Bomb glasspack - 1.5" Lift - 30" Goodyears on 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rims

1998 GC 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    5.9L V8 - Jet Control Module

"If you can't go there in a Jeep, then maybe you’d better not go at all."

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

Not sure where its at on the early ZJ's but I know its under the right passenger dash along the pillar.

Go to advance auto parts and ask them to do a Charging/battery test. The machine they have out here actually tests for a draw which is nice, they might have that too out there. Its free
    1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0/AW4/NP231 '11-Present

Rusty's 4.5" lift with a saggy rear end =(
    Homemade PVC Snorkel
    30x9.5x15 BFG KM2 on ZJ Canyons
    &
    33x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on Krager Soft 8's D Window

1996 ZJ Green '10-11 Ripping and scrapping
    1992 Acura Gen 2 '09-10 Beat but still runs great SOLD
    2006 Chevrolet Cavalier '07-09 2 motors in 6 months JUNK
    1992 Firebird Red V6 '07-07 sold immediately
    1996 ZJ Beije '05-07 Traded in(lemon)
    1997 TJ Red '04-06 Favorite but traded in for mom's H3 -.-

hopefully its the batt and not the alt since the batt is cheaper
    2001 WJ Laredo 4.0
    178k miles

i just went out and it started (so the alternator must be good, plus it'll run without the battery connected) but the radio still doesn't work. i couldn't find another fuse box under the driver or passenger side dash and the one under the hood doesn't have a fuse for he radio. could it have fried because the battery keeps dying or does it have some sort of lock-out security thing
    5.2L V8, Spectre air intake - Cherry Bomb glasspack - 1.5" Lift - 30" Goodyears on 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rims

check the wires between the body and door (drivers side) for any breaks...i know its a long shot but when i was having probs with my window not working, once the radio and cig lighter (sirius power) all went out for a bit...you MIGHT have a broken wire there...just a thought to throw out thats EASY to check
    2001 WJ Laredo 4.0
    178k miles

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyc08 View Post
    check the wires between the body and door (drivers side) for any breaks...i know its a long shot but when i was having probs with my window not working, once the radio and cig lighter (sirius power) all went out for a bit...you MIGHT have a broken wire there...just a thought to throw out thats EASY to check
    there was a black wore that was bare in one spot where it looked like the cover had come off but i dont know if i would classify it as broken. my cig lighter works like a champ still tho

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

Do not run your car without the battery. It will destroy the alternator/regular, theres going to be no foundation to your voltage when you run things lioke radio/hvac and such so it will just reek havoc
    1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0/AW4/NP231 '11-Present

Rusty's 4.5" lift with a saggy rear end =(
    Homemade PVC Snorkel
    30x9.5x15 BFG KM2 on ZJ Canyons
    &
    33x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on Krager Soft 8's D Window

1996 ZJ Green '10-11 Ripping and scrapping
    1992 Acura Gen 2 '09-10 Beat but still runs great SOLD
    2006 Chevrolet Cavalier '07-09 2 motors in 6 months JUNK
    1992 Firebird Red V6 '07-07 sold immediately
    1996 ZJ Beije '05-07 Traded in(lemon)
    1997 TJ Red '04-06 Favorite but traded in for mom's H3 -.-

Quote Originally Posted by gotgohan View Post
    Do not run your car without the battery. It will destroy the alternator/regular, theres going to be no foundation to your voltage when you run things lioke radio/hvac and such so it will just reek havoc
    No it won't, I have accumulated several hundred miles on my WJ without a battery and at 220K miles I am on the original generator. The reason I did this? Corroded battery terminals that caused an intermittent connection and voltage spikes.

Anyway, are you sure there are no fuses for the radio? My dad's car had a similar thing happen a few months ago and it was a blown fuse.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Quote Originally Posted by trail rated View Post
    Anyway, are you sure there are no fuses for the radio? My dad's car had a similar thing happen a few months ago and it was a blown fuse.
    there probably is a fuse for it somewhere, just not in the fusebox under the hood. ive been unable to find the interior fusebox, which i would assume there is one, and i'd say that the fuse for the radio would probably be in the interior fusebox

Don't know about the '95 but my '98 has a fuse box in the kick panel on the passenger side behind a small rectangle pull off panel. The radio fuse is there in mine.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

i found the fuse box and the fuse was good, then i remembered the guy who jump started me "tested my alternator" by disconnecting the battery while it was running maybe that fried it? I also took it out today and it had a sticker saying it had been repaired in 2001

Why dont you just buy a new radio and see if it works ? You can get cheap cd player/radio's for $50 and the adapter cable for like $10

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyc08 View Post
    Those have NOTHING to do with the radio.
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

Quote Originally Posted by Sk95zJ View Post
    i just went out and it started (so the alternator must be good, plus it'll run without the battery connected) but the radio still doesn't work. i couldn't find another fuse box under the driver or passenger side dash and the one under the hood doesn't have a fuse for he radio.
    You're guessing the alternator is good?

When it's running, what is the needle on the Voltmeter on your dash showing?
    Over 14V? Under? It better be over 14 if the battery is close to dead.

Fuses are behind the glovebox.

Get a Haynes Manual at the auto parts store. Cheap and worth every penny. Even shows where all the fuses are...

And you CAN ruin an alternator running without the battery. Trail said he had a generator, but it's an alternator).
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

Quote Originally Posted by Tcar45 View Post
    And you CAN ruin an alternator running without the battery. Trail said he had a generator, but it's an alternator).
    Ehh, I have 220K miles and 400 of them were without the battery. On our Jeeps you can disconnect the battery while the engine is running with no risk of damage to the alternator, this is because the alt output is controlled by the computer. The reason you couldn't do this on older cars is they used remote voltage sensing, and when the voltage regulator sensed a battery voltage of 0 it maxed out alternator output and caused overcharging. This shouldn't really be a problem with newer cars because anything made in the last decade uses the PCM to control voltage.

Also, generators and alternators aren't really that different, many of the parts and the basic theory are the same. The key difference between an alternator and a generator is what spins and what is fixed. On a generator windings of wire (the armature) spin inside a fixed magnetic field. On an alternator, a magnetic field is spun inside of windings of wire called a stator to generate the electricity.

FYI, the FSM calls it a generator and Mopar also lists it as a generator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcar45 View Post
    When it's running, what is the needle on the Voltmeter on your dash showing?
    Over 14V? Under? It better be over 14 if the battery is close to dead
    It's not always going to be over 14, that depends on the battery temperature which is monitored by the PCM.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Just a thought, but I know when my battery was shot in my WJ it started shutting things down to keep the jeep itslef running.

First went the radio, then the dash lights, then the headlights...then I replaced the battery and everything worked like it should again.
    Goto your local auto parts store and have them test everything, it's free and if it is your battery, you can just have them toss one in it right there.
    '00 WJ Laredo 4.0L stock...
    '90 Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe...fast