Thread: How do I measure for shocks and determine the right one

Default How do I measure for shocks and determine the right one

I have a Wrangler with a combination of tire, body and suspension lifts. I don't know what lifts were used or exactly how to measure them, and need to replace the shocks, but I'm not confident on what I need to buy.

Currently I have Doetsch Tech DT3282s on the front and 3265s on the rear, but I've seen this front paired with a different rear in other posts so I don't understand the discrepancy.

I measured static heights of 22" front and 19" rear, but would want to recheck before buying.

Anyting you can tell me on how to measure for shock length, and how to cross referrence to actual shocks would be great.

Chuck

measure the ones you have on it now and compair to a diffrent brand if thats what you are going to do.

Spelling&Grammar-Lern It JeffBowser's Avatar

Aye. Or, just look up the specs on those DoucheBag shocks and get new shocks with similar length.

Quote Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
    measure the ones you have on it now and compair to a diffrent brand if thats what you are going to do.
    ----------------
    97 Sahara,original owner. 285/70/R17 on an OME kit + 1"bl. 4.56, Truetrac F/R + other assorted crap.

You could pull your shocks off and fully compress your suspension and take a measurement from lower shock mount to upper shock mount and then let the suspension droop and take the same measurements and you will have the extended and compressed shock length.
    97 tj, 4" tera, 33 trxus on soft 8's, custom front and rear bumpers with tire carrier, on-board air.

Registered

my shocks with the Jeep sitting still have about 5- 6" of compression and the same the opposiite direction . I would try for something something similar . you have 22" and 19" static I would add like 9 to 11 " roughly to those numbers and work it out from their as you know what better than any one else is on your Jeep that may limit the travel for a shock of thoses lengths and adjust accordingly. Don't over look the bump stops they will have to be made to work with what ever shocks you go with also .
    05 Rubi TJ 3"BDS, Savvy arms w/Metalcloack Duroflex,Bilstein 5100, Currie currectlync, Cooper STT

03 Ram reg cab SB 3"lift, 35's, Hemi, Super chips, Magnaflow,K&N

Registered

kolak told me to measure it from the center of the wheel to the fender.. he says that is a constant measure regardless of tire size.. and then email him.. he will tell you what to buy... kolak@aol.com
    To drive w/o death wobble : 60$ for ome sd40

To drive a little higher than regular grocery getters and much better handling : $260 for ome hd springs

To have a mirror where the auto dimming juice isnt leaking out : $445.00 directly from the stealership...:shreekz:

To have a fellow JU'er whom i have never met dig through a local junkyard and get me the hard to find mirror that i need with matching color..............Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    Aye. Or, just look up the specs on those DoucheBag shocks and get new shocks with similar length.

DoucheBag shocks!

Spelling&Grammar-Lern It JeffBowser's Avatar

I had a set of DT3000's some years ago. Those were the worst shocks ever, so bad were they. Harsh ride, and they could not keep the tires to the ground. They were so bad, that for the year I kept them, I actually changed my route to work to avoid several speed bumps and a set of railway tracks. Ever since then, I have not considered anything made by DT. Maybe it was just the wrong spec for the vehicle tire, weight, and spring, but whatever it was, it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
    DoucheBag shocks!
    ----------------
    97 Sahara,original owner. 285/70/R17 on an OME kit + 1"bl. 4.56, Truetrac F/R + other assorted crap.