Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: whats the best type of motor oil to use?

Icon924 whats the best type of motor oil to use?

tried searching, but came up with nothing. if there is a link or suggestions. 97 xj
    Thanks

you can't go wrong with Mobil1 10-30
    change it every 10k
    01 XJ 2DR Sport
    GoJeep/Howto/BiXenonProjectors/XJ

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
    WJ HID Retrofit Pics

i use pensoil 10 w40 in my zj bc its got quite a bit of miles and could prob use the extra lube
    5.2 v8 Equiped with the up country package, skids, k&n filter, 2'' coil spacer lift kit 3'' exhaust deleted cat added glasspack, safari bar with baja offroad lights rolling on dakota A/T's
    click here to see my jeep!
    http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/a...G_0688-1-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cobb View Post
    i use pensoil 10 w40 in my zj bc its got quite a bit of miles and could prob use the extra lube
    I just picked up 6 quarts of the Penn high mileage 10w40. But I want to start using the same brand, my jeep's engine was swapped out so i dont really know the true mlg. but i'm sure it's more than 100k. I put 40k in 1.5 years. and I change my oil every 3 -3.5k

Just want to treat her right.

I use shell rotella 10 40.
    ...a chicken...I'd slap a chicken...

1999 Cherokee 4 door, I6 AW4 242 8.25 the TOY
    1995 Cherokee 4 door, I6 AX15 231 8.25 the PROJECT?
    2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, I6 242 SOLD (missed)
    1999 Cherokee 4 door, I6 AW4 242, Limited-Parts House

Been very happy with Amsoil 5w40

Registered

Icon924

I buy the cheapest gallon I could find,got a Rear main seal dripping,

My son texts me the other day asking about High Milage Motor Oil,I told him just to read the label..He texts me back and says,Why should I read the label when I got you on speeddial.
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

Registered

I run Shell Rotella T 15/40, some will tell you that it is diesel engine oil and that is partially correct, it is fleet engine oil. In some newer apps this oil is to heavy and will cut gas mileage!

I also use in some engines Mobil 1 10/40

What I will not do again is put synth oil in an old used engine, every time I have done this the front and rear seals start leaking within days!

There are as many opinions on what oil to use as there are people out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by RWise1 View Post
    I run Shell Rotella T 15/40, some will tell you that it is diesel engine oil and that is partially correct, it is fleet engine oil. In some newer apps this oil is to heavy and will cut gas mileage!

I also use in some engines Mobil 1 10/40

What I will not do again is put synth oil in an old used engine, every time I have done this the front and rear seals start leaking within days!

There are as many opinions on what oil to use as there are people out there!!
    I haven't gotten around to changing the oil in my XJ, I've only put about 1300 miles on it but I'm also hesitant to put synthetic oil in it for the same reason you cite. I use AmsOil in my WRX and it works very well. May just stick with dino in XJ.

Quote Originally Posted by sbxj93 View Post
    you can't go wrong with Mobil1 10-30
    change it every 10k
    +1! No problems at 110k miles.

Since it's a related topic, what filter do most folks use? I just use the M1 filter as well.
    Last edited by REX-RACER; 10-21-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Rollin' on 32's dawg!

Registered

I run either the wix or napa gold, never a fram!

this is what i have used for the past 55K

OIL

shell rotella t - dino (white bottle) - 15w40 summer
    shell rotella - full syn (blue bottle) 5w-40 winter
    **you will find these in the diesel oil section of your favorite part store**

FILTERS

wix, napa gold, or stp (blue) NO FRAMs! (i have had can faliure.)

85 xj 2.5 carb'd 5spd 210k 70+ oil pressure hot (real gauge) - no taps knocking or other.

i would not recommend 5w10w-30 in any of these engines(4/6 cyl) with any miles over 150k

man your going to get so many opinions on this one...for my money its wal-marts mobile oil prices and they have mopar filters
    5" Lift, Discos, Edelbrock Xtreme IAS Shocks, 33x12.5x15 Cepek FC II's on Cragar Black D Window 15x7's, Dynomax Exhaust, Flowmaster Cat, AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, removable doors, custom rear panel sub enclosure, Alpine Amp and speakers...

"damn, what now?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by 97xjcountry View Post
    man your going to get so many opinions on this one...for my money its wal-marts mobile oil prices and they have mopar filters
    Agreed!!
    Mopar filters are all I've used since I used to have some strange valvetrain noises on startup with other filters in my Jeeps. Whatever price differential is worth it IMO
    01 XJ 2DR Sport
    GoJeep/Howto/BiXenonProjectors/XJ

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
    WJ HID Retrofit Pics

Default recomendation and some explination

Use only Amsoil 10w-40 high zddp. its a bit more expensive but i only change it every 15,000 with regular filter changes.

Today's syn.s' aren't as suseptable to thermal breakdown as their parents were. Oil doesn't really "go bad, get old" it's all about what ends up floating around in it, metal particals from some normal wear: im talking really really small particulates, and a big one, piston ring blow buy in an ageing engine.

Don't skimp on the filter!!!! Wix are some of the best, if your going to buy a fram only buy the racing filters, but for the money you might as well just buy the better filter from the start. Wix and mopar are good bets withought getting extreame about it.

"IMPORTANT NOTE!" It's a jeep with a flat tappet cam and hydrolic lifters. There are very high pressures between the lifter face and cam lobe. ALL of your oils have had the high pressure lubricants removed due to enviromental issues, and todays over head cam, roller cam engines don't require these lubricants. The High ZDDP means these have remained in the oil. Most of your fleet oils are having these removed as well.

If your not racing it, at high rpm's under load you should be ok with the off the shelf synthetics.

The peace of mind to me is worth the extra cash here and there to buy the amsoil, zppd

Valvoline 10-30 racing oil has the zinc in it, joe gibs hot rod oils, and there are zinc additive bottles out there such as from comp cams, cam break in.

If anyone has some more questions please send me a message, Have a degree in Motorsports Technology so i'll help where i can. I've got some links i can post if you want as well.
    Three Jeeps:
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.5L I6 Very Clean. DD.
    1996 Jeep XJ, project on hold, been robbin parts. 1993 Jeep XJ, 400bucks got 425mi. out of her intended for parts only.
    1987 Jeep Comanche Loredo, Metric Ton, Dana 44, Long bed, 4.0mpi AX-15 5 speed, My Toy.
    Buy an electric car to get to work and the grocery store. Save the gas for all the people that like to have fun on the weekend at the track or back in the sticks. " It's the only way we'll last."

Registered

the mopar filter was made by fram, may not be anymore,,,

Quote Originally Posted by TKRD View Post
    Use only Amsoil 10w-40 high zddp. its a bit more expensive but i only change it every 15,000 with regular filter changes.

Today's syn.s' aren't as suseptable to thermal breakdown as their parents were. Oil doesn't really "go bad, get old" it's all about what ends up floating around in it, metal particals from some normal wear: im talking really really small particulates, and a big one, piston ring blow buy in an ageing engine.

Don't skimp on the filter!!!! Wix are some of the best, if your going to buy a fram only buy the racing filters, but for the money you might as well just buy the better filter from the start. Wix and mopar are good bets withought getting extreame about it.

"IMPORTANT NOTE!" It's a jeep with a flat tappet cam and hydrolic lifters. There are very high pressures between the lifter face and cam lobe. ALL of your oils have had the high pressure lubricants removed due to enviromental issues, and todays over head cam, roller cam engines don't require these lubricants. The High ZDDP means these have remained in the oil. Most of your fleet oils are having these removed as well.

If your not racing it, at high rpm's under load you should be ok with the off the shelf synthetics.

The peace of mind to me is worth the extra cash here and there to buy the amsoil, zppd

Valvoline 10-30 racing oil has the zinc in it, joe gibs hot rod oils, and there are zinc additive bottles out there such as from comp cams, cam break in.

If anyone has some more questions please send me a message, Have a degree in Motorsports Technology so i'll help where i can. I've got some links i can post if you want as well.

I was hoping someone would chime in on the benefits of zddp in these engines. Mobil One High Mileage oils do contain some zddp and are better for our engines than standard mobil one oils. I run the mobil one high mileage 10w-40
    2004 GMC Sierra Z71...5.3 V8, RCSB
    1996 Jeep Cherokee... 4.0 sport daily driver-SOLD
    1995 Z28, couple bolt ons: 309rwhp, 338rwtq 13.2@108

I've run Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 in my ZJ without problems for years, and I have always used the Purolator filters, they are inexpensive and good....
    I don't know if the zinc issue is such a big concern with a stock engine that is already broken in but I have read it's a big deal on engines with high lift cams....
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
    H-4/ECE Headlights, Painless Wiring Harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Front and rear tow hitches, Air Lift, Bilsteins
    Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust
    B&M Supercooler

07 WK Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadradrive II

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC/Cobra Drive

I spend the good money on my M3. The Jeep gets whatever non-generic 10w-30 is on sale at Autozone

It is a push rod motor from the early 80's (or older since it is based on the 4.2L) so my theory is as long as you keep a good change interval (4-5k on regular oil) it should be fine. If I bought her new I might have started on a Mobil 1 diet at 8k change intervals but I didn't...
    99 XJ Classic (3" and 31s)
    07 Tahoe LT3
    99 BMW M3
    95 XJ Race Truck
    XJ-R on Facebook

Registered

Here's a good read on motor oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/in...=article&id=83

There is a forum on this site as well.

I use Mobil 1 0W-30 with a Wix 51515 filter in my '99 XJ 4.0 with 130,000+ mi on it. I do a filter change midway between oil changes (hillbilly oil change). 2,500 mi on the filter and 5,000 mi on the oil. This may be an overkill (and expensive) in someone's oppinion but I think it's worth it.
    Jeep XJ Sport, DOM: April 1999, Vin S Engine, AW4 Trans, NP242J XFR Case, Corp 8.25 Rear Gear. Bone Stock except Ford XF2E-C4B Injectors

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast