Thread: Voltage Regulator? where is it?

Registered

Default Voltage Regulator? where is it?

Hi,posting for a friend,he has a 94 Jeep Wrangler-Sahara Edition.with the 4.0.

Can anyone tell me where the voltage regulator is on this thing? Inside the alternator or inside the computer?

On my 92 Cherokee with the 4.0 it is inside the computer.had a alternator rebuild place install a voltage regulator inside my alternator,works great but my check engine light stays on all the time now,has been for the last 5 years.He has emissions testing,so he cannot have a light on.

He called the big auto-parts stores and was told it was inside his alternator.Is this TRUE? they quoted him $115.00.

I just don't want to see him going through all the trouble replacing his alternator if indeed it is inside his computer.He does have a CEL on now.tryed having him give me the codes over the phone,didn't work out that well.

Any help? Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Jeffrey803; 10-06-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: word spelled wrong
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

1990 and older 6 cyl have a self regulating delco alt. After that it's in the ECM.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
    1990 and older 6 cyl have a self regulating delco alt. After that it's in the ECM.
    Sooo,his is in his alternator? correct.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey803 View Post
    Sooo,his is in his alternator? correct.Thanks
    not if it's a 94.

Registered

not if it's a 94.
    It is a 94,and I told him it was in his computer,he don't believe me,the autoparts store also told him it was in his alternator.

Registered

something is up with JU.I can't see your replys until I click on the thread.
    Last edited by Jeffrey803; 10-06-2010 at 04:56 PM.

its in the ecu. I see your learning the value of most auto parts store personnel.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by wildtyphoon View Post
    its in the ecu. I see your learning the value of most auto parts store personnel.
    yes i am learning the value of most auto parts store personnel.

I just worked on a 2004 chevy suburban.would not start.the parts people told me replace the fuel pump,I removed the gas cap,had the owner turn the key to run,and I could here the pump running,changed his fuel filter,did some googling,and found out to put 2 gal.of gas in it and try it,the gauge read 1/4 tank.he put 5 gal.in and called me back saying it was running.

He paid ME 150.00 to change his fuel filter and do some research.not to bad.been running great since.

always broke and broker'r Rock WoRM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey803 View Post

On my 92 Cherokee with the 4.0 it is inside the computer.had a alternator rebuild place install a voltage regulator inside my alternator,works great but my check engine light stays on all the time now,has been for the last 5 years.He has emissions testing,so he cannot have a light on.

as long as the reg. is/stays bypassed, the light will remain on. only way to fix is to replace ecu.

WRM
    92 YJ, 4.0, 5spd, AC, 5" BDS SUA, MORE booms, 1" BL & MORE 1" MML, AA HD SYE w/cv, 4.56's, No-slip front w/pos-i-lok, Detroit 8.8, Tera 4-1, JCR 1ton TRE flip, U-bolt skids, 35" MT'Rs, Warn 8000 winch, PSE trail cage, home brew swing and rock sliders, CD stereo and tuffy console. <><

Cruise'n on a Suzuki Intruder VL 1500 V-twin when I'm not Jeep'n.

I'm always thankful to be thanked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock WoRM View Post
    as long as the reg. is/stays bypassed, the light will remain on. only way to fix is to replace ecu.

WRM
    Do a little google searching for this and you will find a fix. I forget the details but it was a jumper wire or maybe a resistor in the circuit to fool the ecm in to thinking the alternator was connected and to make the light go off.

Registered

Icon924

Do a little google searching for this and you will find a fix. I forget the details but it was a jumper wire or maybe a resistor in the circuit to fool the ecm in to thinking the alternator was connected and to make the light go off.
    no kiddin,I will try searchin' and see what i find. On my 92 cherokee I get a code 41.something about voltage regulator field switching problem,thanks for all the replys,have not heard from my friend since this first happened,will post here when I hear what his problem was.