Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Voltage Regulator? where is it?

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dayton,Tn.
    Posts
    265

    Default Voltage Regulator? where is it?

    Hi,posting for a friend,he has a 94 Jeep Wrangler-Sahara Edition.with the 4.0.

    Can anyone tell me where the voltage regulator is on this thing? Inside the alternator or inside the computer?

    On my 92 Cherokee with the 4.0 it is inside the computer.had a alternator rebuild place install a voltage regulator inside my alternator,works great but my check engine light stays on all the time now,has been for the last 5 years.He has emissions testing,so he cannot have a light on.

    He called the big auto-parts stores and was told it was inside his alternator.Is this TRUE? they quoted him $115.00.

    I just don't want to see him going through all the trouble replacing his alternator if indeed it is inside his computer.He does have a CEL on now.tryed having him give me the codes over the phone,didn't work out that well.

    Any help? Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Jeffrey803; 10-06-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: word spelled wrong
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

  2. #2

    Default

    1990 and older 6 cyl have a self regulating delco alt. After that it's in the ECM.

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dayton,Tn.
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
    1990 and older 6 cyl have a self regulating delco alt. After that it's in the ECM.
    Sooo,his is in his alternator? correct.Thanks
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey803 View Post
    Sooo,his is in his alternator? correct.Thanks
    not if it's a 94.

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dayton,Tn.
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
    not if it's a 94.
    It is a 94,and I told him it was in his computer,he don't believe me,the autoparts store also told him it was in his alternator.
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dayton,Tn.
    Posts
    265

    Default

    something is up with JU.I can't see your replys until I click on the thread.
    Last edited by Jeffrey803; 10-06-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

  7. #7

    Default

    its in the ecu. I see your learning the value of most auto parts store personnel.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dayton,Tn.
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildtyphoon View Post
    its in the ecu. I see your learning the value of most auto parts store personnel.
    yes i am learning the value of most auto parts store personnel.

    I just worked on a 2004 chevy suburban.would not start.the parts people told me replace the fuel pump,I removed the gas cap,had the owner turn the key to run,and I could here the pump running,changed his fuel filter,did some googling,and found out to put 2 gal.of gas in it and try it,the gauge read 1/4 tank.he put 5 gal.in and called me back saying it was running.

    He paid ME 150.00 to change his fuel filter and do some research.not to bad.been running great since.
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

  9. #9
    always broke and broker'r Rock WoRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fresno area,CA
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey803 View Post


    On my 92 Cherokee with the 4.0 it is inside the computer.had a alternator rebuild place install a voltage regulator inside my alternator,works great but my check engine light stays on all the time now,has been for the last 5 years.He has emissions testing,so he cannot have a light on.

    .
    as long as the reg. is/stays bypassed, the light will remain on. only way to fix is to replace ecu.



    WRM
    92 YJ, 4.0, 5spd, AC, 5" BDS SUA, MORE booms, 1" BL & MORE 1" MML, AA HD SYE w/cv, 4.56's, No-slip front w/pos-i-lok, Detroit 8.8, Tera 4-1, JCR 1ton TRE flip, U-bolt skids, 35" MT'Rs, Warn 8000 winch, PSE trail cage, home brew swing and rock sliders, CD stereo and tuffy console. <><

    Cruise'n on a Suzuki Intruder VL 1500 V-twin when I'm not Jeep'n.

    I'm always thankful to be thanked.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock WoRM View Post
    as long as the reg. is/stays bypassed, the light will remain on. only way to fix is to replace ecu.



    WRM
    Do a little google searching for this and you will find a fix. I forget the details but it was a jumper wire or maybe a resistor in the circuit to fool the ecm in to thinking the alternator was connected and to make the light go off.

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dayton,Tn.
    Posts
    265

    Icon924

    Quote Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
    Do a little google searching for this and you will find a fix. I forget the details but it was a jumper wire or maybe a resistor in the circuit to fool the ecm in to thinking the alternator was connected and to make the light go off.
    no kiddin,I will try searchin' and see what i find. On my 92 cherokee I get a code 41.something about voltage regulator field switching problem,thanks for all the replys,have not heard from my friend since this first happened,will post here when I hear what his problem was.
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Jeep Parts | Jeep Accessories | Trektop NX | Jeep Seat Covers | Jeep Wrangler | Jeep Wrangler Parts | Jeep Wrangler Accessories | Bestop | Jeep Tires | Jeep Stuff | Jeep Wrangler Tires | Jeep Wheels