Thread: 1983 CJ8 Scrambler For Sale in NJ (mine)

Default 1983 CJ8 Scrambler For Sale in NJ (mine)

.............SOLD 10/16...................

Selling our 1983 CJ8 Scrambler with 111,852 miles.

The wife and I bought this CJ8 in December 2005 from an owner in Indiana with 101,370 miles. This Scrambler has been used primarily for weekend pleasure driving and occasional trips to work during the fall, spring and summer. This CJ8 has been garage kept and very well maintained since our ownership. We wanted a CJ8 that we could get into at any time and drive without having to worry about, so the following was done to turn this into a reliable CJ8:

Remanufactured straight-6 (258) motor installed in Feb 2006. Everything that attached to the motor was also replaced with new (alternator, starter, power steering pump, rebuilt Motorcraft 2100 carb, oil pan, exhaust manifold, exhaust, catalytic converter, muffler, hoses, belts, motor mounts, etc.). The motor runs strong and is reliable. Motor and above parts were installed with 102,297 on the odometer.

Remanufactured 4-speed (T-176), transfer case (Dana 300) and new clutch installed in March 2006. New brakes, new power steering box and lines also installed along with a differential service at 102,742 on the odometer.

Miscellaneous new parts installed since include front and rear springs, U-Joints, throttle cable, Poly spring bushings, turn signal lever and lamps, horn, fuel gauge, temp gauge, fuel sending unit, battery and battery tray. All lights, signals, gauges (speedo, temp, fuel, voltmeter, oil pressure) and knobs work well. All fluids changed 90 miles ago.

The frame is in better than average condition (see pics) and I would rate a 7 out of 10. There are some small areas on the frame that could use a good wire-brushing and cleanup. There does not appear to be any significant frame issues, but as stated, the frame could use a good brushing and paint.

Body work and new paint performed by previous owner. It appears that new fenders were installed, replacement side panels and a fiberglass hood. The underside of the body was not worked on and is rusty. I have not crawled underneath to really look at but it seems manageable. The bed was also repaired with a sheet of steel and is sturdy, primed/painted and protected with a bed liner. The windshield, grill, tailgate, bulkhead and interior are in really good shape. Dark blue paint throughout and in good shape (portions within the bed along corners is raising).

Full Hard doors and ˝ hard top also included. These items were garage kept and barely used. Doors are in good condition with rust on 1 door at pillar/door panel and mechanically need to be cleaned and lubricated inside. These doors are a good candidate to be restored with no significant rot. I have the door panels (black) and they are in fair condition. Hard top and rear window glass is solid and in very nice condition. Last time we used hard top, two of the four rear bolts didn’t tighten down (stripped threaded inserts?).

Rims are unknown brand aluminum and tires are BFG 32x11.5 R15 all terrain KO. Two tires were new and installed last year and the other two have 75% tread remaining. I have a 5th matching rim without tire for spare.

Overall this has been a very reliable jeep. Since replacing the mechanicals, we have been able to jump into this truck at any time without issues. We are selling this CJ8 to fund a frame off restoration on a 1984 CJ8.
    Last edited by JerseyCJ8; 10-22-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Sold.10/16

In an attempt to stir up some more interest, i would consider partial trades towards purchase price. Specifically looking for low-mileage/rebuilt 258 or 4.0 with fuel-injection motor, trans and transfer case for my 84 CJ8 rebuild.

Thanks.....

Default Sold

Sold............