Thread: HELP!! NSG 370 trans swap to ax15

Icon317 HELP!! NSG 370 trans swap to ax15

I am having problems with my NSG 370 6spd trans popping out of 1st gear in my 2005 jeep wrangler. Im planning on lifting it and adding 33's but do not wan tto do this until I have the tranny under control.
    Everywhere I go or every one I talk to pretty much says the NSG 370 is a piece of junk and will continue to have more problems. They are apparently mercedes trannys and really have no business in a jeep. The worse part is that fixing them is almost as much as replacing them to just have the same problems.
    I keep searching for info on a swap to the ax15 or NV 3550 but for some reason all I find is people wanting to swap to the NSG 370. I have no idea why anyone would want such a piece of junk. The 6th gear is not worth it and no one ever uses it.

I have found a good price on a brand new ax15 and can get the bell housing and cps for a decent price but was curious about the difficulty in swapping.. I cannot find any info. Does anyone have any help?

Registered

I hear alot of praise about the 6-speed. Never really heard of someone going from a 6 to a 5, but i am also trying to go from auto to manual and some tell me the same.

I would shoot for the NV3550 if you want the 5-speed since its the stoutest of the TJ manuals, but if the price is right on the AX15 then go for it. You will likely need all new clutch components as well a new starter. The slaver cylinder might be different. The plumbing might also need to be changed and i am not sure if the CPS will match your jeep depending on the year it came from. Also AX15's do have their own set of problems. Chattering and premature wear on brass components if the wrong fluid is used.

In my opinion o would first look into what the cost would be to fix the trans you currently have. first gear is so low in them that most start in second anyway but it could be a pretty easy fix. Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps you.

If you live near me i would swap you my auto for your manual.
    97 2.5L on 35's

Registered

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892870

Here is a pirate post that may shine some light on what you need. Just reverse the process.
    97 2.5L on 35's

Some info on JP mag. Forum

Having already put the Jeep/Mercedes NSG-370 6 speed manual into two pre 2000 TJ's, I have some advice you may wish to read. All you need is to get the crank angle sensor re-location kit from a supplier like Advanced Adapters with the new harmonic balancer included. This kit will pickup from the front of the crank instead of the rear bell housing and mounts to the oil pan/timing cover bolts. It even comes with a wiring harness extension for your old crank angle sensor pigtail and includes a new plug to match. Make sure you have the backup lamp switch plug with pigtail wiring stubs included when you buy a used NSG-370. This way you can easily splice into where the old backup switch plug was and it will plug in perfectly. One of the converted TJ's had a 3 speed automatic, the other had the AX-15 5 speed. You will need to modify the shift lever if you don't want it hitting the front of the center console or center stack bezel and your knuckles to impact the dash on forward shifts. This mod is easy to do. Just cut off the attachment sleeve from the stick at the weld where it slips over the trans shift "stub" and re-weld it on the back side instead of the front side where it's at in stock form. Hydraulic slave cylinder connections are the same as those on the AX-15's and NV-3550's so you're basically DONE! The NSG-370 drops right in behind the 4.0L with the original or 6 speed flywheel. The NP-231J or the NV-241OR "Rock-Track" Rubicon transfer cases will mate right to it. We had Nth Degree Mobility tummy tuckers with 1" raised motor mounts and the 5 speed rear trans mount bracket Nth Degree supplied for the AX-15 or NV-3550 fit the new 6 speed perfectly. It's nice to have a deep 4.46:1 1st gear combined with a 4:1 transfer case for crawling action. Another benefit is the extra ratio before going into 1:1, (where 4th gear used to be in the 5 speed box). Especially when pulling steep long grades in summertime heat. Noted positive changes: The engine runs much cooler and stays in its optimal power band. Now with big oversize tires on steep grades and when fully loaded for a week of camping/trail running, the jeep has improved midrange pulling power. The swap also helped boost our overall crawl ratio from 78:1 to an almost 90:1 with the lower 1st gear. The Jury may still be out on the long term durability of this transmission with big tires and hard trail use, but for us there were definite benefits in a 6 speed steed swap. Oh Yeah!

[QUOTE=lax22;4633110
    I would shoot for the NV3550 if you want the 5-speed since its the stoutest of the TJ manuals, but if the price is right on the AX15 then go for it...[/QUOTE]

Sorry I must disagree with you on this. Even though dc listed the nv3550 as the hd option beginning in 2000. They have been know to be alot less durable than the ax15. I blew my nv3550 several times before swapping to the ax15
    AX15's have been around longer and the parts are alot less expensive. Also I believe that New venture gear is no longer making replacement parts for the nv3550, so replacement parts are difficult to get. Unless of course you don't mind china parts in your transmission.
    2005 Rubi LJ 35's 5.5 Clayton
    lots of extras

2000 wrangler 35" Goodyears Rock-trac super 88 hp30 4.88Terminator trans 5.5" RE/Clayton lots of xtras. RIP
    2000 WJ 4.0 addco upcountry springs bilsteins
    2001 H-D Duece Black and Chrome (For Sale)
    1997 YZF1000 200mph Superbike (RIP)

Dirty73, do you have a body lift installed?
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine