Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4.0 engine swap: what other 4.0's will fit?

Default 4.0 engine swap: what other 4.0's will fit?

I am just guessing but I would guess that most all 4.0 from 99-2006 are the same out of grands, cherokee's, and wranglers...but I may be wrong. I found a lead on a 4.0 for 150 with a cracked head out of 2002 cherokee. The guy selling it said he was going to put it in his 99 WJ but it wouldn't be a direct swap because some of the accessories wouldn't bolt up to it...mean the holes were not milled in the block.

I'm scouring the net and all the clubs I know for a 4.0 engine that will drop in my WJ because mine has a hole in the oil pan from internal engine damage.

The seller is getting me the engine code so I can do more research on it, but what else should I look for in an unknown engine with a cracked head...head has been removed so I can see hone marks on cylinder walls.

Registered

there's lots of variations for the jeep 4.0 engines due to casting differences for accessories. you will want the exact one to get everything reassembled and bolted on correctly. these are the year brackets i am aware of that you want to land on to have a straight swap:

93-95 grand cherokee
    96-98 grand cherokee
    99-00 grand cherokee
    01-04 grand cherokee

there are options on using wrangler and cherokee 4.0's but i never messed with them when i did motor swaps so i don't know the year options on those too much.
    -95' grand cherokee w/ 5.2. ARB & xd9000. IRO 4.5" w/ 33's. 8.8 & HP 30 w/ 4.10's both aussie locked and some other goodies.
    -97' grand cherokee w/ 4.0. stock.

That is what I am trying to find...I can find a few cherokee engines and some wrangler engines but not sure on what the differences are or if I'll have to drill and tap the block for my accessories to fit.

Please keep this bumped to the top...I may even reask this question in the engine in another section.

Banned

For a WJ.... 99-04 WJ 4.0 engines will fit, however you will need to swap the intake on 02-04 engines. Anything older then that will not work due to the accessories being mounted in different locations and a lack of coil threads in the head.

GRAND CHEROKEE 99-00 6-242 (4.0L, VIN "S")

GRAND CHEROKEE 01-03 4.0L (6-242, VIN "S")

WRANGLER 00-02 4.0L (6-242, VIN "S")

WRANGLER 05 4.0L

6-242 (4.0L)

VIN "S".

S.F.I.

Change induction and electrical system as needed.

Distributorless ignition system.

What about a particular engine code? Does anyone know what engine code will fit in the WJ or should I just grab it and see if it will work?

Best case scenario is I could drop that engine right in with no problems...just transfer over all my goodies....worst case is it's useless and I have to resell it...mediocre would be my current block is not damaged and I can swap over all the internals.

Thanks for helping me out JU.

I called a engine re builder and their price was around 800 for the non HO and around 900 to 1000 for the HO...I asked how much it would be to build it as a stroker instead and he said he would get back with me. All the wrecking yards I called that had one wanted around 600 to 1200 bucks for one that had anywhere from 88k to 188k...and this seems ridiculous!

anyone know where to source a cheap rebuild kit to tackle the job my self? I am not sure if the crank was damaged yet or if the block is damaged so I am ahead of myself.

The guy told me the '02 cherokee 4.0 has different motor mounts and accessory mounts. Is it worth the trouble to tap the block for my accessories? Also is this true or is this guy a tad crazy?

thanks

Banned

Is there something particular you want to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
    The guy told me the '02 cherokee 4.0 has different motor mounts and accessory mounts. Is it worth the trouble to tap the block for my accessories? Also is this true or is this guy a tad crazy?

thanks

Registered

thanks
    what he said sounds accurate to me. tapping the block is not possible. it sounds easy on paper, but if you look at each engine and see the differences you will understand you can't just go drilling holes.
    -95' grand cherokee w/ 5.2. ARB & xd9000. IRO 4.5" w/ 33's. 8.8 & HP 30 w/ 4.10's both aussie locked and some other goodies.
    -97' grand cherokee w/ 4.0. stock.

weather or not this engine will "drop in" with my accessores and if it won't how much trouble is it to get it to fit?

Registered

I have done many XJ/ZJ/WJ 4.0 swaps and know that all of those engines come with holes predrilled and tapped. I've dropped a 98 XJ into a 2001 WJ after making brackets for the coil packs. Another from a 96 ZJ.

They will work. If it's a 1999+ WJ, it will fit a 1999 WJ.

200(1?) XJ started coil pack ignition, so it will also work in a WJ.

I recently learned there is no such thing as a 2002 XJ cherokee...according to chrysler and the jeep wiki. so...perhaps the seller don't know where it came from either.

Registered

ok so im new to the whole jeep world and a noob to this forum so you guys are sayin that a 99 4.0L will fit in a 94 grand cherokee??? i just bought my first jeep it has a straight body but had a rod knock and i got it for 600 with brand new 31s just wondering what year motors i can drop into it??

Registered

You can drop in any 4.0 into any 4.0/4.2 originally equipped Jeep.

You might need to reuse certain parts of your old engine, but depending on years and NVH breaks, you can get away with using certain things.

If you use a 99 4.0 from a WJ, be aware that it has the 0331 head casting, and can crack. Google 0331 head cracking, and try to shy away. If you notice oil pressure loss after a while, then your block is gone. You need a new one.

Registered

thanks i appreciate the help!!!! One more question is that I have a 94 jeep grand cherokee laredo with a 42re tranny is there any other trannys that will work in my jeep and still use the same plugs and what not??

iluvtruenos

So is there not a difference in the bolt holes in a 2001 cherokee motor vs a 99 grand cherokee motor? The told me they were off by about an inch when he put his motor mounts on.

Also, he noted the accessories mounted different on the cherokee vs the gc. The cherokee had the ac on the pass side top and I don't think that is where it is for the WJ.

I'm out of options besides just pulling my motor and putting it in the truck and driving to go look at this other engine and see if it will work. I even put a question up on Pirate4x4 asking if there were indeed differences in the way the 4.0's mated up and if so how hard would it be to fab something to make it fit.

I'm thinking a steel bracket on top of the factory motor mount with flush mounted bolts may do the trick. It would raise the engine up by about a quarter of an inch if I went with quarter inch steel. Thanks for the info!

Registered

iluvtruenos

So is there not a difference in the bolt holes in a 2001 cherokee motor vs a 99 grand cherokee motor? The told me they were off by about an inch when he put his motor mounts on.

Also, he noted the accessories mounted different on the cherokee vs the gc. The cherokee had the ac on the pass side top and I don't think that is where it is for the WJ.

I'm out of options besides just pulling my motor and putting it in the truck and driving to go look at this other engine and see if it will work. I even put a question up on Pirate4x4 asking if there were indeed differences in the way the 4.0's mated up and if so how hard would it be to fab something to make it fit.

I'm thinking a steel bracket on top of the factory motor mount with flush mounted bolts may do the trick. It would raise the engine up by about a quarter of an inch if I went with quarter inch steel. Thanks for the info!
    Absolutely not.
    I put a 4.0 from a 1993 ZJ into a 1998 XJ.
    I put a 1998 XJ into a 2000 WJ (made a bracket to hold/ground the COP)
    I put a 1995 XJ into a 1994 ZJ.

You will basically have to strip down your entire block. The XJ's accessory setup is different than a WJ/ZJ's, but all the same bolt holes for the same brackets are still there. The engine mounts will work on no matter what block you have.

Essentially whatever block you get, strip it of all accessories and brackets. Take off the water pump because:

A. It's cheap, usually around $50, and good insurance.
    B. XJ and ZJ pumps vary slightly. They look like they would crossreference, but until you start putting the pulleys on you'll notice that the ZJ is different (Don't remember if it's bigger or smaller) and the bolt holes won't line up. So....replace the water pump.

If you go OBDI to OBDII, you will have to use your intake/exhaust manifolds.

If you go OBDII to OBDII ZJ/XJ, you should be able to use your manifolds, but will need to swap sensors and obviously the accessory setups.

The bare 4.0 blocks are universal between the Jeep lineup. It's the accessories and brackets that separate them from each other.

so far as a FYI to my thread I found a 2001 WJ with the 4.0 in it that should do what I need it to do. A few pople mentioned that I may have some differences because they show to be different in their interchange computers. Time will tell when I get to swapping. got 2 bolts left and then hoisting the bad one out!

Icon924

Does anyone here know if I can swap out my 1998 blown jeep engine for e the 2001 jeep engine that I have as a spare? the only difference I see is one is a distributor (98) and the 01 has a ignition rail or pack system... but I wonder if the wiring will work still or what... I blew a head gasket on the 98 and fixed it and still blowing water into oil so im thinking I warped or cracked the block like I did the head.. so I am wanting to swap out the engine....

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinXJosh View Post
    Does anyone here know if I can swap out my 1998 blown jeep engine for e the 2001 jeep engine that I have as a spare? the only difference I see is one is a distributor (98) and the 01 has a ignition rail or pack system... but I wonder if the wiring will work still or what... I blew a head gasket on the 98 and fixed it and still blowing water into oil so im thinking I warped or cracked the block like I did the head.. so I am wanting to swap out the engine....
    all the accessories are mounted different, the exh headers are different, and I'm pretty sure the motor mount castings and accessory bracket castings are different between the two. that's what makes the newer WJ/TJ 4.0 different.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 6" lift, IRO/JKS/OME/Bilstein, 285's, Ford 8.8 w/Artec truss, '95 ZJ NP231 w/Novak shift cable & full SYE, straight piped, 6 pass trans cooler, police pkg alt, Optima Red, ZG front markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, U jointed shafts all around, tow pkg & U.C.

Stone white 5.9 on 30's, glass ECE's w/custom harness, u jointed front driveshaft, clear corners. Pretty much bone stock, and will stay that way

Default Need to Know

can anyone tell me if the head off a 1994 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 fit a 1997 jeep grand cherokee, and what head gasket set I should get?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast