Thread: Any way to fix bad throttle response?

Registered

Icon317 Any way to fix bad throttle response?

The throttle response on this engine is horrendous. Why can't chrysler get the drive by wire throttle system right?

It seems like it takes forever and a day for the motor to respond with i touch the gas. Some people will say this is to save gas. I say it's crap. Maintaining a certain speed is not an easy task. I'll notice my speed drop slightly and lightly depress the pedal. Nothing happens. I'll press it more. nothing happens. I'll press it a little further. It will downshift and accelarate briskly. Well WTF?! Then i get into my 96 cherokee and the instant you tap the gas the motor responds. Granted, it's a cable throttle but for christ sake its just normal throttle response.

Yes, I did calibrate my throttle. And yes, i noticed a slight difference. It went from being horrible to being really bad.

If that wasn't bad enough, my transmission clunks in and out of second gear at about 15 mph, but only if you are driving very slow and going up and down in speed. Chugging along in slow traffic makes the problem appear. I press the gas lightly to accelerate softly, and BAM the second gear shift jerks the car. Then when traffic slows a little i'll let of the gas and lightly press the brake and BAM it slams out of second gear.

The only reason i mention the transmission issue is because I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the throttle. I'm sick of this crap and of course It's been to the dealer and they can't replicate anything.

Is this something that can be fixed with an aftermarket tuner?

Anyway, my friend got an 06 overland with the hemi. Bone stock his throttle is ridiculously sensitive. If you barely depress the gas it rockets forward. Maybe my dead pedal has to do with the factory engine tuning?

I purchased a superchips programmer a year ago hoping it would help my throttle response. I have used the 91 tune and the 89 tune. It made the throttle SLIGHTLY more sensitive/responsive, but you have to really try to notice it.

Any other ideas to increase the throttle response? Is this something the dealer is capable of?
    96 4 door black Cherokee
    Rustys 3" (More like 5") - Black Steelies W/33" BFGs - JKS QD's - Rustys HD track bar/mount - C/A Drop Brackets - OME Nitrochargers - Bushwhackers - Custom Light bar - Coleman Rack - CB - Firestik
    2007 Black Grand Cherokee
    Hemi - QDII - OME MD - REVO II's - AEV Pintlers - Superchips - Magnaflow - Airaid - 5000k HIDs - Matrix - Lightforce HID's

Mine "clunks" as well. It's annoying trying to drive in morning/evening traffic on the highway. That's the only I really notice it. Thankfully, I moved so I don't need to take the highway anymore. An aftermarket tuner is able to change your shifting points, but I'm not certain it will get rid of the slamming into gear issue. It would mostly only raise/lower shift points. It's also supposed to make shifts more firm/faster instead of being so freakin' sluggish.

Also, is the Hemi drive by wire or cable? Because there's a piece of equipment that you can get that gets rid of the delayed response if it's by wire (as in computer). I'll have to look over at the streetjeeps site for it, but it might be around here also. I don't for the life of me remember what it's called right now.

sprintbooster
    Rob

007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X;
    De-Badged; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut Brace; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1 Visor Mount; Stingray Valve Caps; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63 w/Amsoil filter; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20's w/Parada 255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Green Halos;

There we go. $330 and free shipping.

yea sprint booster should solve your problem, i dont have one but i've heard that it it takes care or that problem
    07 white HEMI w/ QDII
    -aries tail light guards-
    -RRO 2.25-
    -full billsteins-
    -265/70/70 nitto terra grapplers-
    -17" cragar soft 8's-

Registered

I use fuel injection cleaner a couple times a month and have never had any problem with throttle response. I do notice if I don't use it then the hemi does get sluggish after a few tank fills. Clogged injectors is one of the main reasons for poor performance at any speed.

95 Laredo, 3" skyjacker lift, nitro shocks, 31" super swampers, K&N filter, Mopar HPCM,gibson cat-back,5+ grand stereo

06 Overland, Mopar roof basket, K&N FIPK 63 series, waiting patiently for more products, I hate it when that happens

I noticed a real improvement off the line with a CAI, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, and a Powerwire.
    Nick, 18 and learning - 06 WK, 3.7L V6 Laredo

RK 3.5'' X-Factor Lift System
    Bilstein Shocks
    265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Thrush Welded Muffler
    Smoked Stock Tail Lights (VHT Nightshades)
    Hunter Brushguard
    Snappy's Fogs
    17x8 Black Ultra Goliath Wheels
    Aftermarket Hitch
    Interior LED Glow
    Thule Snowboard Rack
    Tinted Turn Signal
    Stealth Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
    Folded Pinch Weld
    Red Wheel Well Glow
    Shorty Antenna
    Custom PVC Cold Air Intake
    Power Wire
    Tail Light Guards
    Ported/Polished TB (by FlyinRyan on JG)

I kind of have this problem.. I can press the pedal down here the CAI whoosh my RPMs will go up but it will take a while to kick into another gear but once it does it accelerates and sounds like I'm WOT.

Lee- 2006 5.7L HEMI QDII - Dark Khaki - 94K miles

| Superchips Flashpaq | OME 3" HD | 265/70/17 BFG A/T KO | 1.25" Wheel Spacers | AEM Brute Force CAI | Gibson Cat-back Exhaust | 4xGuard Matrix | Rola Rack | Pioneer Touchscreen w/ GPS | 20% Tint | 35% Windshield Tint | ValentineOne Radar

Stainless Brushguard For Sale **NEW PRICE**

Registered

Icon9180wk Sprint Booster

I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7L engine. I just recently purchased the Sprint Booster for my vehicle. I purchased it from Amazon.com. I was very pleased on the difference I felt in the throttle response. It was $329.00 however I believe it was worth every penny.

I have an AFE Cold Air intake and a Gibson Exhaust. I had a Hypertech programmer but it fried my ABS module. I have since gotten rid of the programmer. The Sprint Booster module filled in the void of the throttle response. If you do have a Programmer you can also get the Sprint Booster one will not affect the other and vice versa.

With all this said I am very pleased. I just took a 2000 mile trip and have not had any issues. It took about 5-10 minutes to install. If you have any question just let me know.

Sjeep2008

Quote Originally Posted by Pac Man View Post
    The throttle response on this engine is horrendous. Why can't chrysler get the drive by wire throttle system right?

It seems like it takes forever and a day for the motor to respond with i touch the gas. Some people will say this is to save gas. I say it's crap. Maintaining a certain speed is not an easy task. I'll notice my speed drop slightly and lightly depress the pedal. Nothing happens. I'll press it more. nothing happens. I'll press it a little further. It will downshift and accelarate briskly. Well WTF?! Then i get into my 96 cherokee and the instant you tap the gas the motor responds. Granted, it's a cable throttle but for christ sake its just normal throttle response.

Yes, I did calibrate my throttle. And yes, i noticed a slight difference. It went from being horrible to being really bad.

If that wasn't bad enough, my transmission clunks in and out of second gear at about 15 mph, but only if you are driving very slow and going up and down in speed. Chugging along in slow traffic makes the problem appear. I press the gas lightly to accelerate softly, and BAM the second gear shift jerks the car. Then when traffic slows a little i'll let of the gas and lightly press the brake and BAM it slams out of second gear.

The only reason i mention the transmission issue is because I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the throttle. I'm sick of this crap and of course It's been to the dealer and they can't replicate anything.

Is this something that can be fixed with an aftermarket tuner?

Anyway, my friend got an 06 overland with the hemi. Bone stock his throttle is ridiculously sensitive. If you barely depress the gas it rockets forward. Maybe my dead pedal has to do with the factory engine tuning?

I purchased a superchips programmer a year ago hoping it would help my throttle response. I have used the 91 tune and the 89 tune. It made the throttle SLIGHTLY more sensitive/responsive, but you have to really try to notice it.

Any other ideas to increase the throttle response? Is this something the dealer is capable of?
    I also had that problem with my 06 5.7. Horrible delay and the POS trans would clunk and BANG when coasting in traffic or parking lots. I had a 06 4.7 and the throttle delay wasnt that bad but its transmission was just as clunky and annoying.

I will tell you the Jeep dealers fix in advance:

COULD NOT DUPLICATE.

That will be their fix for anything on that vehicle that doesnt throw a dummy light.
    2012 WK2 Laredo X. Off Road Adventure 2 4x4

Registered

Try using the Tow/Haul setting. Makes the throttle much more responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsp View Post
    I also had that problem with my 06 5.7. Horrible delay and the POS trans would clunk and BANG when coasting in traffic or parking lots. I had a 06 4.7 and the throttle delay wasnt that bad but its transmission was just as clunky and annoying.

I will tell you the Jeep dealers fix in advance:

COULD NOT DUPLICATE.

That will be their fix for anything on that vehicle that doesnt throw a dummy light.

the OP has drive by wire as well as your hemi. your 06 4.7 had cables. hence they would be vastly different.

anyone posting who has throttle cables has no idea what the OP is talking about. 4.7 08+ have DBW. on the 3.7 I THINK its only 09+.
    Rob

007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X;
    De-Badged; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut Brace; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1 Visor Mount; Stingray Valve Caps; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63 w/Amsoil filter; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20's w/Parada 255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Green Halos;

Registered

wouldnt it be possible to gerry rig a cable from the pedal to the throttle body in the 5.7. im assuming the reason for drive by wire is only to improve fuel economy.
    2005 WK HEMI Loaded
    PX8 Black/Painted Grill
    Silverstars
    35% Tint
    Mercedes Shifter
    Leather Console
    AUX jack
    SRT8 Intake
    18" JK machined wheels
    255/70/18 Bridgestone Revo 2's
    Bilsteins F/R

Registered

i asked superchips if the throttle could be recalibrated with a tune (Like on the wranglers... they have multiple throttle programs they can select). Superchips said it is not possible to reprogram the throttle on AWD jeeps because of driveability issues. Hmmm
    96 4 door black Cherokee
    Rustys 3" (More like 5") - Black Steelies W/33" BFGs - JKS QD's - Rustys HD track bar/mount - C/A Drop Brackets - OME Nitrochargers - Bushwhackers - Custom Light bar - Coleman Rack - CB - Firestik
    2007 Black Grand Cherokee
    Hemi - QDII - OME MD - REVO II's - AEV Pintlers - Superchips - Magnaflow - Airaid - 5000k HIDs - Matrix - Lightforce HID's

Dear Jeep,

Don't cripple your child to save it money!

Kthxbye
    Nick, 18 and learning - 06 WK, 3.7L V6 Laredo

RK 3.5'' X-Factor Lift System
    Bilstein Shocks
    265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Thrush Welded Muffler
    Smoked Stock Tail Lights (VHT Nightshades)
    Hunter Brushguard
    Snappy's Fogs
    17x8 Black Ultra Goliath Wheels
    Aftermarket Hitch
    Interior LED Glow
    Thule Snowboard Rack
    Tinted Turn Signal
    Stealth Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
    Folded Pinch Weld
    Red Wheel Well Glow
    Shorty Antenna
    Custom PVC Cold Air Intake