Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire E rating vs C rating

Default Tire E rating vs C rating

Whats the exact difference between an E and or C rating tire? What would be fine for a WK? Thanks. I can get a great deal on GF's but they are c rated, not e rated. Thanks.

Registered

E rated means its 10 ply vs. c rated which is 6 ply, in my tires at least. You would want e rated for a heavy truck or something like that. C rated is going to be alot more smooth ride and not be as rough.
    2007 Wk 4x4 | Ome Hd 3" Lift | 265/70/17 Bfg At | 1.25" Wheel Spacers | Front recovery shackles | Aries Tail light Guards | PIAA 510's in stock fog location | 1001z Cb | Rear recovery hook | Rola Rack | 2 Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill | Soon to come: 4xguard matrix, skids, and rock rails...

Registered

I am running E-rated tires with no regrets. I actually like the firmer ride.
    2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Black on Saddle Leather

2005 WK Limited 5.7L HEMI - 2" Rough Country Lift, LT245/75/17 Big-O A/Ts, Bilstein HD shocks in all four corners, 4xGuard Brush Guard with Grill Hoop, Saguaro 4XComponents antenna mount, Stillen Metal Matrix pads and rotors, Midland 1001Z CB radio with 3ft Firefly antenna, 4XGuard 12-bolt differential guard

1998 ZJ Limited 5.2L - Submerged and dead!

Quote Originally Posted by dcaprio View Post
    I am running E-rated tires with no regrets. I actually like the firmer ride.
    I happy your happy with them. My point is also, is it really needed? A Hummer H2 runs d rated bfgs from factory, so a WK doesnt seem any bigger or heavier that that. Just curios if E rated is really needed?

Registered

Not necessarily needed, but is it bad to have a sturdier or stronger tire? Besides the the E-rated tires were less expensive than the c-rated ones in my case.
    2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Black on Saddle Leather

2005 WK Limited 5.7L HEMI - 2" Rough Country Lift, LT245/75/17 Big-O A/Ts, Bilstein HD shocks in all four corners, 4xGuard Brush Guard with Grill Hoop, Saguaro 4XComponents antenna mount, Stillen Metal Matrix pads and rotors, Midland 1001Z CB radio with 3ft Firefly antenna, 4XGuard 12-bolt differential guard

1998 ZJ Limited 5.2L - Submerged and dead!

Yeah...my Duratracs were cheaper and more available in an e. I do mostly city driving and find the ride quite comfortable...and I also like the added piece of mind of the extra layers.
    05' WK Laredo 4.7 QDII Dark Khaki
    Up up she goes!

I am in the same dilemma... E Rated (10 ply) or ? rated (4 ply) in the General grabber tire...

I dont want this to happen again :

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...69&postcount=6

An E rated tire is built to handle the work and the weight that a 1/2 to 1 ton truck will put them through. They should last forever on a WK but might ride a bit rougher. Unfortunately most of the sizes both stock and lifted for WKs are E rated but it would not stop me from buying the tires i want. Its not NEEDED its just whats available in most sizes wk owners want. If you want stock size BFG AT KO the closest you can get is a 245/70/17E.

You have to look at the manufacturer web site for the tires. Alot of companies will offer standard load and E range tires so you can choose what you want.

I dont think the ply of the tires has anything to do with your pic, i think thats an issue with that tire specifically or a defect.

Most general tires that will fit the WK w/o a lift are NOT E rated tires. You still should not have any issues especially with a good name like General tires. I plan to get Grabber AT2 or BFG AT in the fall.
    2005 Wk Limited 4.7 V8, 08 Overland Front End Conversion, SRT8 pedals, Custom Side exit exhaust R1concepts.com Zinc plated drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, silver painted calipers. FRP Ported and Polished TB, Custom CAI, Coming soon, painted odds and ends, new tires.

www.jeepgarage.org

Registered

Is this for your gf's WK? Just get the C, its cheaper, and it rides better (I would be assuming she wants something more cushiony than a stiff ride we might prefer), and she won't care or know the difference.
    2007 WK Laredo 4x4, Red Rock, 26F package, 3.7L, QTI
    General Grabber HTS
    Firestone Winterforce UV, #12 Carbide studs

You don't need E rated tires. FWIW, that's what we have on the CTD Ram.

Rather surprised you've found they are cheaper than the C rated tires, I've found the opposite to be true in my search for CTD tires.

Registered

I actually have a question as well.

Where do XL tires fit in? Are they simply like a C+, and the SL tires are C?
    2007 WK Laredo 4x4, Red Rock, 26F package, 3.7L, QTI
    General Grabber HTS
    Firestone Winterforce UV, #12 Carbide studs

Quote Originally Posted by NHWK05 View Post
    An E rated tire is built to handle the work and the weight that a 1/2 to 1 ton truck will put them through. They should last forever on a WK but might ride a bit rougher. Unfortunately most of the sizes both stock and lifted for WKs are E rated but it would not stop me from buying the tires i want. Its not NEEDED its just whats available in most sizes wk owners want. If you want stock size BFG AT KO the closest you can get is a 245/70/17E.

You have to look at the manufacturer web site for the tires. Alot of companies will offer standard load and E range tires so you can choose what you want.

I dont think the ply of the tires has anything to do with your pic, i think thats an issue with that tire specifically or a defect.

Most general tires that will fit the WK w/o a lift are NOT E rated tires. You still should not have any issues especially with a good name like General tires. I plan to get Grabber AT2 or BFG AT in the fall.
    Ok, so if I have the choice of a E rated (10 ply) and C rated (4 and/or 6 ply) I should go with the C rated because its smoother (and lighter).

Tell me if its true : For a specific model/size, a "C" rated (or lower rated) tire will have a much more rounded sidewall at the bottom (where the tire is in contact with the ground) than a "E" rated tire. Or there is not much difference ?

If you want stock size BFG AT KO the closest you can get is a 245/70/17E
    This is the tire I run and love it. It rides very smooth and quiet.
    2011 JKU Rubicon: Deep Cherry Red Pearl, Auto, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik CB antenna, K&N air filter

2005 WK Limited: **SOLD** Silver, Hemi, QuadraDrive II, 2" BDS lift, 245/70/17 BFGoodrich AT, 4XGuard Belly Guard / Side Guards, Commander shock upgrade, rear cargo LED light upgrade, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik CB antenna, Yakima loadwarrior cargo rack, Laredo painted grill, Airaid intake tube and K&N air filter, replacement Magnaflow universal cat converter (didn't work), Arizona pinstriping (trail scratches).

Quote Originally Posted by Fiveofun View Post
    This is the tire I run and love it. It rides very smooth and quiet.
    Nice. I have pics of your jeep. I bet those Load E BFGs will last for freaking ever too! The E is usually a compound made to with stand the weight of a 3/4 to 1 ton truck so they are made to wear longer. I cant wait to get a set. Its been years since ive had BFG ATs and i really miss them.

Where did you get them? Ive only been able to find them in the $200 each price range and i want 5.
    2005 Wk Limited 4.7 V8, 08 Overland Front End Conversion, SRT8 pedals, Custom Side exit exhaust R1concepts.com Zinc plated drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, silver painted calipers. FRP Ported and Polished TB, Custom CAI, Coming soon, painted odds and ends, new tires.

www.jeepgarage.org

Registered

I put E rated Duratracs on my Wrangler - No issues except I think the tires are a bit heavier. Tire dealer said E's were easier to get.
    2007 Jeep Overland - Steel Blue - Sold
    2011 Ford Edge LTD AWD - Red - Wife's new ride!
    2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD Premium - I Like it!
    2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport - Yellow (it's the daughters)
    1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Red & For sale
    2006 Subaru WRX - Blue It's the Son's

Where did you get them? Ive only been able to find them in the $200 each price range and i want 5.
    Discount Tire. That price sounds about right, I only got 4, I left my old Firestone Destination MT as the spare.
    2011 JKU Rubicon: Deep Cherry Red Pearl, Auto, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik CB antenna, K&N air filter

2005 WK Limited: **SOLD** Silver, Hemi, QuadraDrive II, 2" BDS lift, 245/70/17 BFGoodrich AT, 4XGuard Belly Guard / Side Guards, Commander shock upgrade, rear cargo LED light upgrade, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik CB antenna, Yakima loadwarrior cargo rack, Laredo painted grill, Airaid intake tube and K&N air filter, replacement Magnaflow universal cat converter (didn't work), Arizona pinstriping (trail scratches).

Nice. I have pics of your jeep. I bet those Load E BFGs will last for freaking ever too! The E is usually a compound made to with stand the weight of a 3/4 to 1 ton truck so they are made to wear longer. I cant wait to get a set. Its been years since ive had BFG ATs and i really miss them.
    I had E-load BFG AT KOs, ran them for a few winters then gave them to my fiancée who is currently running them on her XJ. They still look brand new (tread wise) lol

I had a set of BFG KO's (E) on my WJ and got 120,000kms on them. Now with my new WK I put the 265/70R17 load range E's on it again.

I find it quite rough, I would have gone with C's if I had to do it again as it is my daily driver. it didn't seem this rough on my WJ.

Our roads suck around here as well which doesn't help.
    Outaouais / Ottawa Jeep Club President
    http://www.jeep-club.org

2000 TJ Sport
    2010 WK North Edition

Previous:
    1947 CJ2A
    1989 XJ
    1999 WJ Laredo

you know, e's are harder to find out here in so cali. I think I'm gonna go with c's. Lighter and mostly a street driven vehicle with occasional offroad. Thats why I have my TJ thats built to hell and back for. Thanks people.

Icon9180wk

Tire shop accidentally gave me a set of E-load BFG All-Terrain 265/70/17's instead of the C-load. There's a $20 per tire difference, so I'm keeping them. What pressure should I be running? Kinda freaky looking at my EVIC and seeing 50 psi, even though the max tire pressure is 80.

05' WK Inferno Red 5.7 Hemi Limited QDII
    Rock Krawler X-Factor
    OME N190 Rear Shocks
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain 265/70/17E
    Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers
    08-10 Front Fascia Conversion
    Saquaro 4XComponents Boulder Grill Insert
    AEM Brute Force CAI
    Billet Technology Catch Can

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast