Thread: 2006 Commander Cruise Control Problem

Default 2006 Commander Cruise Control Problem

With cruise control activated and engaged at 65 mph, vehicle accelerated on its own up to 80 mph befoe I stepped on the brakes and disengaged the cruise. When I re-engaged the cruise the vehicle immediately accelerated at full throttle until I stepped on the brakes. I repeated this 5 times over the next 3 hours. Then the behavior changed. Now when I activate the cruise the "cruise" indication illuminates on the dash as it should but when I activate the cruise with the "set" button the car does not change speed or begin to cruise. Instead the "cruise" indication on the dash goes out.

I have no codes from the ODBII

Has anyone had the same problem and gotten it fixed? What was the cause please? Thanks, Mike

79,000 miles, 3.7 V6, 4x4 with low range Transfer Case

We just had our 2nd 3.7 GC come in today doing the exact same thing the sec. you set cruise the jeep will full throttle, probably don't want to hear this but both jeeps were fixed with a new PCM. But im deffenatly not telling to go to your dealer tomorrow and buy a new pcm but in the two jeeps we had both were fixed with a new PCM, now you may want to check to see what warranty you have left because the federal emissions wannanty is 8years 80Kmiles for the 1st owner so if your truly under 80k you shouldnt even have a warrnty deductible, but the dealer 1st will have to diag. the concern, and im sure thay wont go rite to the pcm first, tell the dealer to get on dealer connect and search for STAR case #

Case Number K70429814
    Vehicle Issue Vehicle accelerates when cruise or speed control is set. May have a mil on/code set for P0582.;Customer may experience vehicle acceleration when setting cruise or speed control. Condition may occur when turning the cruise system on, then depressing the set button at vehicle speeds when cruise would be allowed. The MIL lamp may illuminate and code for P0582-SPEED CONTROL VACUUM CONTROL CIRCUIT may be stored in pcm.

System or Component Abnormal Behavior / Function,Activates / Operates by Itself / Ghost Cycle,Erratic Operation / Fluctuates,Gains Speed,Surges;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;Group 08 - Electrical,Group 18 - Vehicle Performance / Driveability,New Generation Controller (NGC),Powertrain Control Module (PCM);Normal Operating Temperature;Cruise On;Yes - Intermittent

Recommendation If condition is present and can be duplicated, follow procedure below. Check cruise servo vent and vacuum solenoid control circuits between pcm and servo. Load test circuits with a test lamp and grounded jumper wire. If the test lamp lights brightly, circuits pass load test. Check circuits for shorts to ground or each other. If circuits pass testing, substitute known good servo or check servo operation according to service information if other part is not available. If condition is still present, replace PCM.

Modification Date 04/03/07 2:49 PM
    2005 Black LJ 4.0/ Rough Country 4" X-series/35" BFG KM2s/Flat Fendered/Cragar 342 15X8/Herculined/Rusty’s Engine Skid/Edge Trail Jammer/Banks Monster Exhaust/Crown SS Brake lines/JKS Quicker Disco’s/BestTop Bikini Top/LoD Xtreme Duty Bumper w/TC/PSC Rocker Knockers/Riddler Diff Covers F&R
    Dana 30/44 4.88's and Detroits F&R Chrome won't get you home
    2003 Patriot Blue KJ/ 235/70R16 BFG A/T's/Boiler 3/8in Strut Spacers/K&N DropIn/99 GC EVIC

checked today about 8/80k federal emisions warranty and it stays with the jeep not the owner so even if your the 10th owner as long as your still under or very very little over 8 years /80k you shouldnt have to pay a deductible
    Hope this helps and dosn't blatantly give away my occupation lol
    2005 Black LJ 4.0/ Rough Country 4" X-series/35" BFG KM2s/Flat Fendered/Cragar 342 15X8/Herculined/Rusty’s Engine Skid/Edge Trail Jammer/Banks Monster Exhaust/Crown SS Brake lines/JKS Quicker Disco’s/BestTop Bikini Top/LoD Xtreme Duty Bumper w/TC/PSC Rocker Knockers/Riddler Diff Covers F&R
    Dana 30/44 4.88's and Detroits F&R Chrome won't get you home
    2003 Patriot Blue KJ/ 235/70R16 BFG A/T's/Boiler 3/8in Strut Spacers/K&N DropIn/99 GC EVIC