Thread: WJ Lift / Jack Stand Points (Pics)

Default WJ Lift / Jack Stand Points (Pics)

This image shows the lift points on the Jeep:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/jacking_points_wj.jpg

Although I think it's a bit vague. Questions:

1. Is the jack shown in the picture at a proper lift point? I think so because there's an arrow on the frame pointed down towards it.

2. Are the places circled in green acceptable jack stand points?

Icon928

Quote Originally Posted by SNYP40A1 View Post
    This image shows the lift points on the Jeep:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/jacking_points_wj.jpg

Although I think it's a bit vague. Questions:

1. Is the jack shown in the picture at a proper lift point? I think so because there's an arrow on the frame pointed down towards it.

2. Are the places circled in green acceptable jack stand points?
    Yes the locations with the arrows are your lift points.

In photo #2 do NOT lift or place a jackstand anywhere along the control/suspension arms.

In photo #3 I personally would not place the weight of the vehicle on the crossmember. No need to really since the front and rear lift points are not that far away anyway.

94 5.2

Patriot Guard Riders Cager
    www.patriotguard.org

Location Leader
    Wreaths Across America
    Jacksonville National Cemetery
    www.WreathsAcrossAmerica.org
    www.WreathsAcrossAmericaJacksonville.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGVRzllI1c

Wreaths Across America programs will be taking place on 15 Dec 12 at over 700 location this year. Please go to their website and sponsor a wreath to be laid upon a Veterans grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Drem View Post
    Yes the locations with the arrows are your lift points.

In photo #2 do NOT lift or place a jackstand anywhere along the control/suspension arms.

In photo #3 I personally would not place the weight of the vehicle on the crossmember. No need to really since the front and rear lift points are not that far away anyway.
    Is it safe to place the jack 5-6 inches back towards the rear wheels, in front of the cross-member? Otherwise, not sure if there's enough room to cram both the jack stand and the jack at that location.

why would you put two jack stands so close together??
    '02 WJ 4.0 6" IRO FLA's,BILSTIENS, IRO TB bracket, adj TB, Carolina DS, 4.56's, 8.8w/aussie(in progress), 33's

What kind of job are you going to do?

94 5.2

www.patriotguard.org

Location Leader
    Wreaths Across America

Wreaths Across America programs will be taking place on 15 Dec 12 at over 700 location this year. Please go to their website and sponsor a wreath to be laid upon a Veterans grave.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by OLANDER400 View Post
    why would you put two jack stands so close together??
    i think he want to jack up the jeep and then put the jack stand on.

can lift the jeep were it can be lifted aside the tiers and then put the jack stand on at the frame were the link shows floor jacks go (black box)

i believe they put the arrows their so people would not jack to for off on one side and get an even weight when lifting up the jeep. i believe you can lift it a bit over form were the arrows are if need, if i am wrong please someone correct me.

Make sure to slide a tire under the "frame" rail when you're working. This thread makes me nervous...
    '02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", 231HD w/SYE, 44/9", 35's
    '06 XK: 65th Anniversary Edition SOLD
    '98 XJ: stolen
    '99 XJ: stock

www.endlessmtnfab.com
    Support your local driveline shop.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
    Make sure to slide a tire under the "frame" rail when you're working. This thread makes me nervous...
    good advice, i always put a cinder block with a piece of wood on top under the frame just in case something happens. since sometimes sliding around the 17' gets a bit odd and trying not to mess up t chrome.

before you take off a wheel just look around for anything that dose not look right or if something is not siting properly

The rear is no problem jacking up and placing a jack stand since there are two lifting points. But, the front is a problem because they do not recommend jacking at the axle tube, and leaves only the single frame rail point. However, because I don't see any other choice, I jack at the frame rail and put a jack stand under the axle tube as close as I can get to the wheel. So far, that seems to work without any damage being done.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

I plan to rotate the tires and inspect the brakes. I think I need new rotors on the front and probably new brake pads as well. I'd like to do the job myself if possible, but I might just say screw it and pay the local tire shop $279 to change front rotors and brake pads. I don't plan to go under the Jeep...and I would never do that with the wheels removed...not worth the risk in my opinion. So I want to place the jack stands underneath the arrows shown in the first photo above. But in order to do that, I need to jack the Jeep up somewhere else. Where's the best place to place the jack? Straty had the right interpretation.

Sorry I have not been too helpful here, since all the manuals I can find mention to not lift under the aluminum differential. That is my preferred method putting the floor jack under the diff (thank goodness mine is not aluminum) and either placing the jackstands under the axle tubes or under the lift point depending on what job I am doing. That way I get both wheels in the air at the same time and if placing both front and rear on stands I can just move to the back and lift.

94 5.2

www.patriotguard.org

Location Leader
    Wreaths Across America

So just to be more clear than necessary, there's no problem with jacking the Jeep up at the place circled in red:

Doesn't look like it's secure enough to support the entire front end weight of the Jeep...

If you are rotating the tires, put the jack stands next to the lower control arm mounts on the axle.

*edit-saw your last post. If you jack it up by the front diff, you will only raise that side of the Jeep. You'll need to jack it up closer to the passenger's side to lift that side.

Resist the temptation of jacking it up by centering the jack on the axle tube. The Dana 30 will not like that. Jack up each side.
    Last edited by Ken; 06-24-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: missed last question
    '96 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, 242 with SYE, 4.5" long arm lift, homemade FIPK, 8000# winch, custom bumpers front and rear, 33" Swampers for the trail, 33" BFG Mall-terrains for the street, Solid Axle Dana 60 rear with ARB, Auburn ECTED front, 4.56 gears, York on-board air, Kevin's Off-Road radiator support and tow point, Skid Row skid plate, cut out rockers