Thread: Where the HELL can i find a 5/8 Thin Wall Spark Plug socket!!!???

Icon317 Where the HELL can i find a 5/8 Thin Wall Spark Plug socket!!!???

So im doing the plugs under the coil packs on my 08 WK 4.7 which is required maintenance around 30k i think, (im at 45k figured i should probably do them) and i cant find a think walled Spark plug socket ANYWHERE! Why do they need to make things so complicated! I cant find one out my local sears either so it seems im sol. Even having a hard time finding one on the internet. Where is everyone getting theirs???? Or is no one doing these plugs?

2008 WK Ltd 4.7 QT II Migig Nav lockpick
    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

2004 WJ Special Edition 4.0 QT II NV247
    97 XJ Sport 4" lift, ARB bar etc
    1999 XJ Classic Teraflex BB....
    2000 XJ Sport
    1994 XJ Sport
    1992 XJ Laredo

Registered

Find a gunsmith or machinist in your area and have him shave a Craftsman socket down to size. If you don't want to keep it, just take it back to Sears and exchange it for a new one.

2005 JGC WK Hemi & QDII
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    AEV Pintler wheels and 265/65-17 BFG AT TA KOs
    4XGuard Matrix and front skid.
    HID Flood Lights\HID Drivers
    www.topohiker.com

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by xjjeepman View Post
    So im doing the plugs under the coil packs on my 08 WK 4.7 which is required maintenance around 30k i think, (im at 45k figured i should probably do them) and i cant find a think walled Spark plug socket ANYWHERE! Why do they need to make things so complicated! I cant find one out my local sears either so it seems im sol. Even having a hard time finding one on the internet. Where is everyone getting theirs???? Or is no one doing these plugs?
    K-D makes a specific set I'm going to order. Also sold through Sears Tool Catalog.

Set of 3 sockets (5/8") with attached wobble extensions (4", 6", & 11") and magnets. They are apparently captive, so do not come apart. Catalog No.009-42274, $36.99.

My socket/universal/extension combo was a PITA on the HEMI. This is what I found.
    '08 WK Limited; 5.7L HEMI, Bright Silver Metallic, Quadra-Trac II, Class IV Trailer Tow, Billet Technology oil catch can, Fumoto oil drain valve, Michelin LTX M/S P245/65-17 tires.

For cars that I need special parts or tools, I modify a tool. Since I use 95% Craftsman stuff to wrench, they are very inexpensive. That said, I need a few items now and then like weird wrenches for header holts that are not only severely angled, but ones I need to also grind off some metal to clear a part or the like similar to you. I do exactly that, I hit them carefully on my bench grinder, use them, clean them so the paint adheres and then spray paint them so I can find them easily in my tool chest. Generally, even after I modify the tool, it can be still utilized for the intended purpose albeit there might admittedly be some structural strength degradation relative to the OEM unit. Anyhow, I would not waste a lot of time looking and just grind a socket down, a Craftsman one is about $5 or so for a 5/8" socket (3/8" drive)is $4 shipped on Ebay Item number: 290442575103, so grind away on yours and get this as a replacement my friend. :-) Gary
    2008 WK, HD OME 2.25" with OME shocks and struts, 255/70 SA, All 4X Guards, Hypertech Prog., WARN M8000, Matrix HC, KC Daylighters, CB
    2008 Viper SRT-10 Coupe, 8K miles, NAV, 5-Stars, Lo-Jack, Stock 600 HP, FOR SALE 65K
    2000 Viper GTS, 10 LB SC, WM, ported heads ( and bigger valves) and intake, roller cam, 900 HP (750 RWHP)
    1968 GTO, 467 CID Fully Ported Roller, 9" Currie 4.10 gears, 5 Speed Richmond, Street 660 HP
    WANT TO BUY: Ford GT or Murci, TT's preferred
    2006 Votes thanks to Acorn

I've done plug changes on the newer 4.7's('08's and '09's) and only used a regular 5/8" spark plug socket with no issues.
    I drive a Liberty,laugh now.

Sitting on 35's,HP44,RockJock60,and 4:3 AtlasII

Quote Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
    I've done plug changes on the newer 4.7's('08's and '09's) and only used a regular 5/8" spark plug socket with no issues.
    I dont know how? The 08 and up 4.7 plugs under the coils cant be accessed by a regular standard 5/8 plug. Trust me, i just tried! NO GO. Too thick, couldnt get em down into the hole.

I did think of grinding one of my standard 5/8 sockets down, but just bit the bullet and ordered an SK 4422 - 10" Extra Long 3/8" Drive 5/8" thin wall socket.. I just dont have my grinder set up at the moment..

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

2000 XJ Sport
    1994 XJ Sport
    1992 XJ Laredo

I dont know how? The 08 and up 4.7 plugs under the coils cant be accessed by a regular standard 5/8 plug. Trust me, i just tried! NO GO. Too thick, couldnt get em down into the hole.

I did think of grinding one of my standard 5/8 sockets down, but just bit the bullet and ordered an SK 4422 - 10" Extra Long 3/8" Drive 5/8" thin wall socket.. I just dont have my grinder set up at the moment..
    They you got a thick plug socket,thicker then a normal one.

The coil packs on a '08 4.7 are the exact same as all the older years and the the coil packs fit snug in the holes so the holes are the same size for all the 4.7's so any normal plug socket will work,actually does work.

They you got a thick plug socket,thicker then a normal one.

The coil packs on a '08 4.7 are the exact same as all the older years and the the coil packs fit snug in the holes so the holes are the same size for all the 4.7's so any normal plug socket will work,actually does work.
    Well, i dunno man, i tried several of my 5/8 spark plug sockets and no go. I find it hard to believe theyre all thick walled, but hey who knows. Here is an excerpt from WK Jeeps on the plug removal on the 4.7's;

"CAUTION: Due to tight clearances between UPPER row of plugs and cylinder head, a conventional deep, thick-wall spark plug socket will not fit. Use a deep, THIN-WALL 5/8” spark plug socket for plug removal and installation."

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_sparkplugs.htm

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

2000 XJ Sport
    1994 XJ Sport
    1992 XJ Laredo

i used a standard Craftsman 5/8 on mine. No issues. 2007 4.7.
    2007, GC Laredo 4.7L V8, QTII

Quote Originally Posted by J_Litter View Post
    i used a standard Craftsman 5/8 on mine. No issues. 2007 4.7.
    Right, but the 07 & 08's are different..

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

2000 XJ Sport
    1994 XJ Sport
    1992 XJ Laredo

Right, but the 07 & 08's are different..
    Nope they are the same,same coils and same sized plug holes in the heads.

Well, ok but i find it funny that all manuals and WK Jeeps shows that caution message for the 08 and up 4.7s ...

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

2000 XJ Sport
    1994 XJ Sport
    1992 XJ Laredo

Well, i dunno man, i tried several of my 5/8 spark plug sockets and no go.
    THIS!

I am searching online for thin-walled ones for the 2009 WK 4.7L. I have tried a half dozen standard 5/8" plug sockets with no luck.
    ON THE COVER OF MAY 2008 JP MAG!
    • YJ-7 Cummins 4BT, NV4500, Atlas II 4.3:1, D44's, SOA, high steer, hydroboost, Aussie locker, Eaton e-locker.

This worked for me-
    http://www.toolrage.com/prodview.asp?sku=SKT-4422

Its an SK deep socket- tight but fit right in there

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

2000 XJ Sport
    1994 XJ Sport
    1992 XJ Laredo

Registered

i am glad i was able to use the standard 5/8" socket on mine.

Jeez... jeep loves to make things F'n complicated sometimes!!!
    2008 Silver WK Laredo 4x4
    Rough Country 2.5" Lift, Bilstein HD's,
    265/70/17 General Grabber AT2
    1.25" Wheel Spacers, JK Moabs
    K&N FIPK & Liberty Upper Intake Pipe
    Mopar Front Recovery Hooks
    ClassIII Hitch with Recovery Shackle
    SRT8 Grill, Stillen Covers, 15% Front Tint
    Front Pinch Weld Mod, 6000K HID (lows)
    Boston Acoustics, JL Audio 250/1 & Stealth Box

have you tried googling thin wall 5/8's? should be plenty of options... thin walls are just another type of socket, like a 6 pt, 12pt, deep, etc. Matco makes the thinnest ive ever seen personally though, fwiw.

its also very easy to grind one down, someone mentioned modifying tools and as a mechanic by trade i cant tell you how many times ive done this, cept we usually get to charge the customer for it
    '00 WJ 4.7 - 6in Long Arms/Bilstein 5125's, Aussie locked D44a, IRO adj. A-arm, Cragars & 315/75/16 BFG's, LSR bumper, Warn winch, 242HD, Dodge HD 160a alt, Catless Magnaflow exhaust etc

In 08 they switched to the second gen 4.7 V8 which uses 16 plugs just like the HEMI. It also uses a different plug for the intake and exhaust side:

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_sparkplugs.htm
    '05 WK 4.7 4x4 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Laredo - X Package - Walker Quietflow SS