Thread: Grand Cherokee 5.9 Interior/Dome lights Stay on (Yes I did a search)

Default Grand Cherokee 5.9 Interior/Dome lights Stay on (Yes I did a search)

I tried to find a relevant post with no luck so far.
    I have a Grand Cherokee 5.9...
    Drove it yesterday in a pouring rain. Had to turn my lights on too and I did it as I always do - turn the switch to the left - on auto. (My buddy kept warning me that those switches eventually go bad and cause all kinds of trouble, but I want to post this issue for more feedback)
    After I parked I noticed that my interior/dome lights are still on. Checked all the doors and the tailgate - all are shut and no error in the OBMC. Tried locking it but the lights are still on. When I am in the car and I have the key either on "On", or the car is running, or I have the key all the way anti clock wise - everything is fine. When I turn the ignition on "Off" and I pull the key out that's when the lights come on and wont shut for the life of me. First thing I checked - the dome lights switch - it is off. Tried jiggling the headlight switch - no success turning the interiors off...
    So I got home and disconnected the battery... About 1-2 hours later I reconnected the battery and everything seemed fine. Hit the "lock" button on the remote and called it a night...
    Today, sure enough got in it to go to work and it was completely dead.... Have the battery on the charger now so I can get working on the issue. Tried to do a search on the topic but nothing relevant so far. Hope to get your input soon and get it resolved as I cannot be cabbing to work like that...
    Is it the water from the pouring rain? Short? Bad switch in the doors (but that would not affect it only when I pull the key out)?
    I am about to keep the battery disconnected and clamp a meter between the negative cable and the battery. Then I will start pulling the fuses out one by one to see where the drain is so I can at least narrow it down to the circuit, but I would rather just jump on it if you have an advise to share...
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

i had a weird issue that's only happened to me 2x since I've owned my 5.9 in like 5 mos now. it's is similar to yours.........my remote wouldn't lock the truck and the interior lights stayed ON. I'm like....wtf....i turned the dimmer switch all the way off, turned the headlights to OFF instead of auto. got pissed bc it was cold outside and left it. eventually the lights shut off and my remote started working again.

no idea what happens...i figured a glitch in the BCM.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

updates...
    the charger is putting some juice in the battery but still too low. I tried to shut the doors and lock it. The interior/dome lights obviously try to shut off, but as soon as they try they come back on and stay like that...
    Considering short circuit due to the water... but where to start?
    And of course when it rains it pours... My volt meter crapped out...

Registered

I had the same problem with my 5.9 and turned out to be a bad switch on the back passenger door. All I did was make sure the 3 doors were closed and then unscrewed the switch and disconnected it until the lights went out then knew that was the bad one.

yes but if it is the door switch is the issue wouldn't it give me a warning on the OMC that there is a door open

Registered

You would think so but mine didn't. Showed that all the doors were closed but the interior light would stay on all the time-had to pull the fuse. When I pulled the switch out and disconnected the wire from it the lights went out, replaced the switch and have had no problem.

Registered

Don't know if this makes sense, but mine was doing the same, and I tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 mins, when I reconnected it all worked right (but it started again a few days later LOL). Havent bothered to investigate this prob yet though.
    2002 Laredo Sport | 4.0 | Selec Trac

Feeling lucky? Take me on... ---> http://mrh4ck.mybrute.com

OK, tried to pull out all 4 door switches one by one. Problem is still there.
    I also had the battery unhooked but did not reset the issue. I also pulled out fuse #16 which turned off the dome lights, but the little lamps on the doors are still on...
    Have to start testing something else, but what?

OK... too much work with the upcoming art show...
    Today I had a chance to spend a little time with the Jeep.
    Once again I pulled all door switches and disconnected them one by one - No luck.
    I hooked a voltmeter on the negative cable: here is the chain:
    negative cable-voltmeter-negative post on battery.
    Now I started pulling out all the fuses one by one, trying to locate the circuit that is drawing power. I pulled all fuses and relays from the big box by the battery and all the little fuses in the passenger side kick panel: NO LUCK. It was still drawing power...
    Please advise....

Registered

You may simply have a dimmer switch for the dash lights that is bad. If you push it all the way to the detent, the interior lights are supposed to go on. I had to replace this in my '94 ZJ when I had it.

that is probably the next thing to test... But I would suppose it is on a circuit that has a fuse... It should have disconnected the draw when I was pulling out the fuses... Any suggestions how to test it without taking apart the whole dashboard?