Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fog Light Law

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

Default Fog Light Law

Okay I got pulled over long time ago for this, and my friend keeps getting pulled over for it. I had a Cavalier, and I was able to make it so the fog lights can only be on with the parking lights. I got pulled over a lot for this and I asked a few times why its against the law and I essentially got the reason that the light has to be 12-30 inches off the ground to be legal. He has a trailblazer that is lifted a good 8 inches so his fog lights have to be above 12 inches no doubt and not over 30. Now he tried reasoning when he just got pulled over now and the cop gave him a 150 dollar ticket. Anyone from illinois know where I can prove this so he can beat this ticket?"
    1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0/AW4/NP231 '11-Present

Rusty's 4.5" lift with a saggy rear end =(
    Homemade PVC Snorkel
    30x9.5x15 BFG KM2 on ZJ Canyons
    &
    33x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on Krager Soft 8's D Window

1996 ZJ Green '10-11 Ripping and scrapping
    1992 Acura Gen 2 '09-10 Beat but still runs great SOLD
    2006 Chevrolet Cavalier '07-09 2 motors in 6 months JUNK
    1992 Firebird Red V6 '07-07 sold immediately
    1996 ZJ Beije '05-07 Traded in(lemon)
    1997 TJ Red '04-06 Favorite but traded in for mom's H3 -.-

Are they factory fog lamps? If so, they should only have power when parking lights or low beam headlamps are switched on. Should cut power when switched to high beams. Are you running aftermarket HID or ricer bulbs in them? Have they been properly aimed?
    WK2 Limited

I'm not totally clear on the law but it sounds like you can drive with just the fog lamps and not the headlamps, provided the fogs are greater than 12" off the ground. If not, you must use the low beams as well, correct? This must be the case, since a lot of factory-equipped vehicles have fog lamps mounted in the bumper where they are less than 12" from the ground and would be illegal in IL.

I know the laws can vary from state to state. I'm from MD, and a few years ago I was given a ticket in Maine for failing to turn off fog lamps for an oncoming vehicle.

Only fog light law I know of is: Fog lights should only work when you are using parking lights/low beams, and should turn off when the high beams are activated. They must also be located below headlights, which is why it is a dicey situation when you mount them next to the headlights on a brush guard. There is something about an angle too... but I don't remember.

But yeah, on a side note, that 12-inch this is BS. For example, an eclipse's are only 4 inches off the ground, maybe...maybe...6 max...
    Last edited by BKZer0; 05-14-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Personally, I don't like people who drive with their fog lights during the day or at night when it's overcast outside...

My state authorizes four forward-facing lights to be on at any one time. Two of which must be OEM headlights. Of course, it really isn't enforced here as people drive with their fog lights on with their side/parking lights all the time. Even illegal HID lights are common here, probably 1 out of every 20 cars here has illegal HID, and nobody is getting pulled over.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Quote Originally Posted by gotgohan View Post
    Okay I got pulled over long time ago for this, and my friend keeps getting pulled over for it. I had a Cavalier, and I was able to make it so the fog lights can only be on with the parking lights. I got pulled over a lot for this and I asked a few times why its against the law and I essentially got the reason that the light has to be 12-30 inches off the ground to be legal. He has a trailblazer that is lifted a good 8 inches so his fog lights have to be above 12 inches no doubt and not over 30. Now he tried reasoning when he just got pulled over now and the cop gave him a 150 dollar ticket. Anyone from illinois know where I can prove this so he can beat this ticket?"
    Uh, perhaps measure the lights, how high up off the ground they are to 'prove it.' That is if this isn't total bs to begin with. Many cars have foglights lower than 12inchs, btw...

If this really happened, tel your bud to jsut pay the fine and get on with his life, it would be easier than trying to fight it.
    94 ZJ: Fully built and Very fast.

98 ZJ Laredo 5.2: Fully built and very kush.

Is it a K5 blazer or trail blazer?
    If it is a trail blazer i call bull on it being lifted 8 inches. They only make pucks. My bro was gonna buy one and the fact that it was a unibody turned him off. He rather go witha grand cherokee due to the strength and aftermarket support. and yes, we know its also a unibody.
    I <3 my OME... stuff in a 94 ZJ

Quote Originally Posted by rodd88 View Post
    If it is a trail blazer i call bull on it being lifted 8 inches. They only make pucks. My bro was gonna buy one and the fact that it was a unibody turned him off. He rather go witha grand cherokee due to the strength and aftermarket support. and yes, we know its also a unibody.
    after doing a quick search on this, i believe rodd is correct. seems that gohan is totally full of shet. Lets see a picture of the 8" lifted trailblazer.lol
    2000 XJ Sport 4x4. Silver with white fender. Titan 4.6L Stroker, 31" MT'S, 3" RC lift, JCR bumper

1997 TJ Sport. 4.0, 5 Speed, 4" Pro Comp lift, 17" Pro Comp Wheels, 35" Claws.

No, the grand cherokee is uniFrame, there is a difference.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

I'd like to see pics of the (lifted a good 8 inches ) on that Trail Blazer, What size tires is he running?
    What a minute, is this the same gotgohan that posted that "Stuck in the mud again” post and couldn’t produce the pics or video he has?
    Oh Boy here we go again.

Most of the laws follow suit with federal DOT. No more than 4 white lights up front, which is why off road lights need to be covered. If the fogs are white instead of ambe, they should turn off when the brights are on, particularly if high and low are both on when high is activated. Your state probably has a place on line to look up the laws and vehicle codes with key words. The vehicle code should show height restrictionas as well as adjustment restrictions. In Michigan the search is located on the legislature's web page.

The ticket will have the statute that was violated. Take that and call the municipality that issued the ticket and ask for a copy of the statuate. You local library should also have a book with all the statuates listed as well. And, as was stated, there are probably online sites that will list them too.

The real question here is If the your friend has gotten stopped more than twice for this already then he must not be too smart if he has not corrected the problem so he would not get stopped a third time.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Exaggeration my fellow Jeepers and Creepers. This kid LOVES EXAGGERATION!

Exaggeration my fellow Jeepers and Creepers. This kid LOVES EXAGGERATION!

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

lol I didn't mean to say the truck with lifted 8 inches the entire thing is 8 inches higher than stock. He has 3" body spacers, and 3" strut spacers and then 33's which add up to around 7-8" higher than a normal trail blazer. Not only that I know someone personally that made it so the shafts don't go through the oil pan and has his tb lifted 8 inches just by suspension and 3 by body spacer. So no it is not bs, this is a pic of my buddies tb.

Homemade PVC Snorkel
    &

Hiding in the Sun

Surprised you didn't get a ticket for those headlights. If you keep getting stopped for it , QUIT doing it.

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
    Surprised you didn't get a ticket for those headlights. If you keep getting stopped for it , QUIT doing it.
    All you idiots that freaking don't know how to relate your posts to the question, why don't you shut the hell up and keep it to yourself.

I guess I will just have to call the secretary of state and wait 25 minutes to ask if it its against the law.

I just wanted to know what the parameters were on State Law in Illinois for frontal lighting...

Homemade PVC Snorkel
    &

Here you go copy straight from the Illinois Vehicle Code.

(625 ILCS 5/12‑210) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑210)
    Sec. 12‑210. Use of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps. (a) Whenever the driver of any vehicle equipped with an electric driving head lamp, driving head lamps, auxiliary driving lamp or auxiliary driving lamps is within 500 feet of another vehicle approaching from the opposite direction, the driver shall dim or drop such head lamp or head lamps and shall extinguish all auxiliary driving lamps.

Here is the link to the whole vehicle equipment code.
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh.+12+Art.+II&ActID=1 815&ChapAct=625%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B5%2F&Chapte rID=49&ChapterName=VEHICLES&SectionID=59744&SeqSta rt=126300000&SeqEnd=128100000&ActName=Illinois+Veh icle+Code.

J D Miller III
    Louisiana

Hiding in the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by gotgohan View Post
    All you idiots that freaking don't know how to relate your posts to the question, why don't you shut the hell up and keep it to yourself.

I guess I will just have to call the secretary of state and wait 25 minutes to ask if it its against the law.

I just wanted to know what the parameters were on State Law in Illinois for frontal lighting...

Pretty well related, and common sense, that if you are repeatedly pulled over for the same thing, it's illegal. Or maybe they're just out to get "you".

Search the state statutes if you really want to know. Then show it to the judge. He'll probably make the cop apologize to you.

Did he get pulled over on the way to the mud pit that you were stuck in???

oh wait..... his is a 2wd street queen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast