Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5.2 performance upgrades?

Certified Diagnostician

Icon928 5.2 performance upgrades?

what performance upgrades are available for the 5.2? can never have too much power.
    Wyotech Sacramento Alumni. ASE A6, A8, and L1 Certified. CA Smog License.
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 4x4, mostly stock, Flowmaster muffler dumps before axle.
    1987 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8
    Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

lots
    search!!
    86' Cherokee.. 2.8L..3" lift, 256,000 miles original trans motor rears tc...~Electric fan...
    ~Custom Switch panel on glovebox..~Custom overhead console..~Rear auxilary lights..

94' Grand Cherokee (DD)5.2L V8~242~Preformance ECU~Custom TurboCity Dual Intake W/ K&N Filters
    ~ML Headers~Custom Made Dynomax 3" Header-Back Exhaust
    ~3.5" RE~32's~5.9 E-Fan~UberRare Red 5.9hood :happpyd:
    ~RE adj. front trac bar~Rear Tire Carier~Remote Start~MX6 Shocks
    Soundclip of my Exhaust (right click and save as)

My Webpage(in the making...still....)

it isn't engine related, but put a shift kit in your transmission. It'll get rid of the natural "slip" and firmer engagements between the gears. It will also raise the pressure and make the transmission last longer.

I just helped my buddy install one on his 84k mile niner, and he swears it accelerates faster..

my 5.2 with a rebuilt 44RE has a transgo in it, and sure as hell the damn thing will accelerate better..

also...look for some magnum R/T heads..the edelbrock proflo intake, a cold air, headers, full exhaust (3" back), and a 5.2 performance computer...oh..and cant forget the MSD ignition timing box..with the said upgrades, you will notice some power increase.
    Past Jeeps:
    1998 Special Edition ZJ 4.0L Green
    1998 Special Editon ZJ 5.2L Triple Black
    1993 Limited 5.2L 344k miles POS white
    1988 Wrangler YJ 4.2L/242 transfer case/4" homebrew lift- Mixture of Brown, Red, and white.

Now: 1999 Mazda Protege ...I'll have another kewl car when I get out of college.

Registered

The 5.2 (318 magnum) has a huge after market support for HP. The one issue you'll end up dealing withis that no matter how much money you throw at it, if you dont address the stock computer, you'll never see anythingmore than about 15-20HP gain. The ECU doesnt have the programing to deal with volumetric changes and we dont have mass air flow systems like mustangs and vettes. So I would suggest, you plan you changes and then plan an aftermarket reflash or a custom ECU.

318s by the way are real capable of about 450hp on pump gas without a bunch of unobtanium parts or a blower. You cant do this with a stock ecu though.
    VP, in charge of breaking stuff
    MOABJEEPER Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by 88YJ4.2 View Post
    it isn't engine related, but put a shift kit in your transmission. It'll get rid of the natural "slip" and firmer engagements between the gears. It will also raise the pressure and make the transmission last longer.

I just helped my buddy install one on his 84k mile niner, and he swears it accelerates faster.
    Who makes the shift kit you installed?

Thanks,
    -DrumBoy
    DrumBoy's Niner (SF Member Gallery)

1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited (Stone White)
    1998 ZJ 4.0 Laredo (Hunter Green) - SOLD IT! someone else is driving all my hard work
    1995 XJ 4.0 UpCountry - ROLLED IT!

2007 Volvo T5 S60 Turbo (Silver) - Daily Driver

Icon928

He put it in his original post.

my 5.2 with a rebuilt 44RE has a transgo in it, and sure as hell the damn thing will accelerate better..
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumBoy View Post

Thanks,
    -DrumBoy

94 5.2

Patriot Guard Riders Cager
    www.patriotguard.org

Location Leader
    Wreaths Across America
    Jacksonville National Cemetery
    www.WreathsAcrossAmerica.org
    www.WreathsAcrossAmericaJacksonville.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGVRzllI1c

Wreaths Across America programs will be taking place on 15 Dec 12 at over 700 location this year. Please go to their website and sponsor a wreath to be laid upon a Veterans grave.

Certified Diagnostician

where do i get the mopar ECU?
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 4x4, mostly stock, Flowmaster muffler dumps before axle.
    Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBoy View Post

Thanks,
    -DrumBoy
    Transgo. We put a transgo in the niner. The man that rebuilt my 44RE put a Transgo in that, as well.

My friend Derek paid $59.31 shipped to his door and took us about 4 hours to install, and thats taking our time and taking breaks.

Its one of the most cost-effective upgrades to a transmission..and itll shave time off of your acceleration and the shifting makes going fast...welll...addicting if you know what I mean.
    Past Jeeps:
    1988 Wrangler YJ 4.2L/242 transfer case/4" homebrew lift- Mixture of Brown, Red, and white.

Now: 1999 Mazda Protege ...I'll have another kewl car when I get out of college.

Registered

You're in luck because the Mopar Performance ECU is still available for your 1993 ZJ V8. They discontinued them for many model years but not 1993.

Other good initial modifications are a cold air intake and full 3" exhaust.
    1993 ZJ 5.2: Heavily modded. Currently on display to illustrate how entropy effects the universe.

1998 ZJ 5.9: 18" Tecnomagnesio Rallye wheels, Yokohama AVS S/T tires, all the Kolak goodies, various Mopar/Addco/Edelbrock/Kevin's/Stillen/JKS/K&N stuff. Abstract keying job courtesy of neighborhood hoodlums.

Certified Diagnostician

full 3", as in manifolds back, or cat back? i just but on a flowmaster 40 that was sized a little bigger than the pipe out of the replacement cat that was on there, and i had them put a gooseneck dump just after the muffler.

i have plans to run the K&N FIPK, unless some one knows of a better intake. for the moment i was goofing around, and oddly enough i have noticed gains by putting a cone filter on that stupid restrictive looking hat thing. that shows me that i would benefit from a better intake system.
    Last edited by tednelson83; 05-05-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Banned

I just love these performance upgrades threads. You can never have too much power for what? Maybe it's time to sell and buy a sports car or a diesel truck depending on your needs, no?

Registered

Transgo. We put a transgo in the niner. The man that rebuilt my 44RE put a Transgo in that, as well.

My friend Derek paid $59.31 shipped to his door and took us about 4 hours to install, and thats taking our time and taking breaks.

Its one of the most cost-effective upgrades to a transmission..and itll shave time off of your acceleration and the shifting makes going fast...welll...addicting if you know what I mean.
    $59 for the tfod-hd2? WHERE? i'm buying one soon and best i can find is $109
    get it girl

Certified Diagnostician

Quote Originally Posted by reekor View Post
    I just love these performance upgrades threads. You can never have too much power for what? Maybe it's time to sell and buy a sports car or a diesel truck depending on your needs, no?
    power for top speed is not near as important to me as low end torque. i am not looking to race, more looking for better performance off road, better engine efficency. there is always more power to be found in an engine then what the factory installed. im thinking intake, exhaust, mopar ecu, cam, perhaps headers, and an HD trans rebuild with shift kit. the thing moves pretty good, but i know it can do better.

and i do have a sports car for speed and go-kart like handling.

Banned

So you're looking for more torque which needs hp and better efficiency? That's like saying that you want to get fat without getting heavier, no?

There is way of doing it if you go diesel, but that's a little more then simple performance upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by tednelson83 View Post
    power for top speed is not near as important to me as low end torque. i am not looking to race, more looking for better performance off road, better engine efficency. there is always more power to be found in an engine then what the factory installed. im thinking intake, exhaust, mopar ecu, cam, perhaps headers, and an HD trans rebuild with shift kit. the thing moves pretty good, but i know it can do better.

and i do have a sports car for speed and go-kart like handling.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRideR View Post
    $59 for the tfod-hd2? WHERE? i'm buying one soon and best i can find is $109
    I wish we would of looked harder...

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00054931a.htm
    Past Jeeps:

I just picked up a 1993 ZJ, I have been looking for this Mopar ECU upgrade, but I cannot find it anywhere. Can someone post a link to one? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
    You're in luck because the Mopar Performance ECU is still available for your 1993 ZJ V8. They discontinued them for many model years but not 1993.

Other good initial modifications are a cold air intake and full 3" exhaust.

Victim of Circumstance HighDesertZJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    I just picked up a 1993 ZJ, I have been looking for this Mopar ECU upgrade, but I cannot find it anywhere. Can someone post a link to one? Thanks.
    Here ya go, don't expect too much from it.
    http://www.monicattichrysler.com/com...idProduct=1473

yea didnt feel any change at all with the ecu, cept for the overhead millage is WAY off, and you have to put in mid or higher, mine is happy with mid in it
    86' Cherokee.. 2.8L..3" lift, 256,000 miles original trans motor rears tc...~Electric fan...
    ~Custom Switch panel on glovebox..~Custom overhead console..~Rear auxilary lights..

94' Grand Cherokee (DD)5.2L V8~242~Preformance ECU~Custom TurboCity Dual Intake W/ K&N Filters
    ~ML Headers~Custom Made Dynomax 3" Header-Back Exhaust
    ~3.5" RE~32's~5.9 E-Fan~UberRare Red 5.9hood :happpyd:
    ~RE adj. front trac bar~Rear Tire Carier~Remote Start~MX6 Shocks
    Soundclip of my Exhaust (right click and save as)

My Webpage(in the making...still....)

Superchips is way better, tho i have taqlked about getting one for a while now and have yet to do so, might have something to do with the fact that my buddy got one and days later his niner was hiccuping and the tranny died. Hasn't been right since.

Hey, would the performance ecu work in conjunction with a superchips?

As for perf. upgrades: FIPK, headers and full exhaust, and if you dont wanna stop there, port and polish and bore the thing out.
    94 ZJ: Fully built and Very fast.

98 ZJ Laredo 5.2: Fully built and very kush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast