Thread: high oil pressure - sending unit?

Default high oil pressure - sending unit?

2002 Overland, 126,000 miles

changed my oil last night after a 1200 mile trip towing a 5000 lb trailer. Put in 5.5 qts of Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage (same oil I've been running for quite some time) and a Mobil 1 M1-204 Extended Life Filter (normally I run a Bosch 3402 for 3000 miles and change oil at 6000 but the Mobil filter was on sale).

Immediately after the oil change I noticed the oil pressure guage sitting at the 3/4 mark most of the time. It fluctuates slightly as would be expected, but is always above 1/2. Oil level is fine.

From other posts it sounds like this is probably an oil pressure sending unit issue, but it seemed strangely coincident that it happened immediately after the oil change. Am I running any risk by driving it for a while and keeping an eye on it to see if it returns to normal? This weekend is the soonest I'd be able to get around to the sending unit.
    '02 Overland - K&N FIPK, Bridgestone AT Revo's

Does the 2002 still have the real oil pressure gauge? My 2000 did and I had the same problem (high pressure) once I put a new sending unit on it the problem was solved.

The 04 Overland that I have now has an idiot gauge that always reads just a little over half the scale whenever the engine is running.
    Also my 4.7HO takes 6 quarts of oil and I use the M1-301 filter.
    2004 Overland Traded in at 218k miles on a new 2012 4Runner Trail Edition. 4-21-12

2000 Laredo 4.7 Q-Drive, was still running good when SOLD at 281,340 miles.

there are no numbers on the gauge, but it does fluctuate as you would expect a real oil pressure gauge to do. This morning I double checked the oil level and it's perfect, just below the top of the "safe" zone.

I also turned the key to the on position (engine off) and the needle climbed to the bottom tick mark, paused, then went all the way to the 1/2 mark (12 o'clock). So that indicates to me it's a definite sending unit issue. I'll grab the part tomorrow from the stealership and try to get her done this weekend.

Registered
    Lansing, Michigan From: Bowling Green, KY

I'm pretty sure my oil pressure sensor/switch has gone bad. My oil pressure recently started running around 70psi, which is probably 15psi higher than it ever ran for the first 9.5 years I had my WJ. I've got just over 132K on mine.
    '01 4.7 Limited Up Country, Front & Rear Addco Sway Bars, Pro Comp MX-6 Shocks, K&N FIPK With 9" AEM Dry Flow Filter, Akebono Front Calipers, Stillen Rotors & Pads, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Kolak 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust With Magnaflow 12589 Muffler

Banned

It's a weird thing, I replaced my oil pressure sender a few months ago but before and after on some days I would have semi high pressure, other times it would be "normal" and idle around 40 but go up while driving/cruising. Never found a cause but it seems fine.

Registered

I used to idle at 3/4 constantly and in drive also. I put some MMO stuff about 2 oil changes ago and now it idles in the middle. Weird but hope it was a cheap fix.
    02 Limited 4.7 Quadradrive
    245/70/16 Mastercraft Courser AT
    16x7 Cragar
    159,xxx miles

replaced the sending unit/switch with the Mopar part ($58 before tax) and now it's back to just above 12 o'clock like it used to be.

Registered
    Lansing, Michigan From: Bowling Green, KY

Is the sensor difficult to get to? My factory service manual shows the location as right above the oil filter. Is that correct? What was the part number?
    '01 4.7 Limited Up Country, Front & Rear Addco Sway Bars, Pro Comp MX-6 Shocks, K&N FIPK With 9" AEM Dry Flow Filter, Akebono Front Calipers, Stillen Rotors & Pads, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Kolak 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust With Magnaflow 12589 Muffler

no it wasn't bad, but you'll need a sending unit tool or, in my case, I just used a 1-1/16" deep well socket. It is located directly above the oil filter on the 4.7. I removed the filter, but I'm not sure if you could manage to do it with the filter in place. I don't have the part number in front of me, but I'll grab the receipt and post it tonight.

Hardest part was trying to get the new unit started in the hole. I found that I could look in through the front facia right next to the tow hook and see what I was doing.

If the needle doesn't move back down to a "tick" above the 1/2 mark while under normal driving conditions then I would be concerned. My '02 GC Laredo 4.7/V8 mfg. date 3/02 reacts this way upon start-up. I use HM Castrol and the Mobil 1 filter and besides getting the "lifter tap" it goes to the 3/4 mark but then settles back down. My mileage is around 140K or 104K (ahem)......now that I installed the lower mileage white gauge cluster. LOL.

Isejlowe: Is it a state secret or did you just forget to mention what engine you have?

Quote Originally Posted by georged View Post
    Isejlowe: Is it a state secret or did you just forget to mention what engine you have?
    Overlands (WJ) all have the 4.7HO engine.
    2004 Overland Traded in at 218k miles on a new 2012 4Runner Trail Edition. 4-21-12

2000 Laredo 4.7 Q-Drive, was still running good when SOLD at 281,340 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPick58 View Post
    yup, I've got the 4.7HO, but the sending unit should be in the same spot for the non HO V8 as well. The Mopar part # is 5149064-AA listed at $58.52.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPick58 View Post
    I guess I can learn something every day.