Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OME lift, bump stop extensions, and 285/70/17's

Icon9180wk OME lift, bump stop extensions, and 285/70/17's

Here's a few of the pictures i found of WK's with OME lifts and larger than 265/70/17 tires. The silver one has the OME MD and has 275/70/17's. I don't know if it has any rubbing or what size wheel spacers. The black one has 285/70/17's and the owner told me that the main rubbing was in the rear, so I was figuring that adding bump stop extensions would help with that. Black one has 1.5" spidertrax spacers. Superlift bump stop extensions are 4" (thanks Acid ). I was hoping that 2-3" extensions would help. Just thought I'd share.

06 WK Laredo 4.7L QT2, OME HD plus F and R spacers, Hankook Dynapro MT 285/70/17's w/ 1.25" spacers, Rear Aussie Locker, Cobra 19 DXIV CB w/custom antenna mount, Moog upper and lower ball joints, Pinch weld folded, Custom front skid, 4xguard rock rails, 4xguard belly guard, Saguaro front shackle mounts, Superchips flashpaq, Plug and play HID 6000k lows, custom intake, glasspack muffler with stock piping, aftermarket hitch.

Icon9180wk

Hopefully, this would give alot of people with the OME lift an idea of what size tire they can upgrade to besides a 265/70/17 or 255/75/17. I was eventually wanting to upgrade to a 285/70/17 so I am pretty sure adding a bump stop extension would be a must.

06 WK Laredo 4.7L QT2, OME HD plus F and R spacers, Hankook Dynapro MT 285/70/17's w/ 1.25" spacers, Rear Aussie Locker, Cobra 19 DXIV CB w/custom antenna mount, Moog upper and lower ball joints, Pinch weld folded, Custom front skid, 4xguard rock rails, 4xguard belly guard, Saguaro front shackle mounts, Superchips flashpaq, Plug and play HID 6000k lows, custom intake, glasspack muffler with stock piping, aftermarket hitch.

Thanks for the good info, Im looking to upgrade to OME by the summer.
    Matt

'11 WRX
    '06 WK 32" BFG KM1's|17" Moab Wheels|2" Rough Country lift|1/4" wheel spacers|Bilstein HD Rear Shocks|Rola Rack|AMSOIL air filter|Powerwire|Gibson muffler|FRP Throttle Body| SOLD
    '92 YJ 4 squirrels on 32's
    '72 Dodge Dart 318, 26k miles

Hey Lifted,

Let us know if you go up a size!

Thanks for the pic's and the info!
    '06 WK ~ RR 2.25 Lift ~ 265 BFG AT's ~ 4xGuard Front, Side & Belly ~ Gobi Stealth Rack...More Here

Great tread!
    Any idea on how much travel you will lose
    when you add the bump stops?
    08 CRD 115,000
    OME HD Lift about 3"
    4xGuard Rails
    Stillens
    AEV Wheels 5.3 BS
    JBA UCA's
    BFGs 265/70/17 (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
    Lockpic

Registered

thanks for posting, i wanted to grab some 275/70 bfg at's cause im sick of the road noise that my MT's make but didnt want to waste the money if they would look to big..now i know for sure. thanks again
    06WK 4x4, OME MD, 265/70/17 BFG A/T's Rubicon moab rims,Piaa 510's in stock location,magnaflow exhaust,ported t/b,CAI,

Quote Originally Posted by zigsrig View Post
    Hey Lifted,

Let us know if you go up a size!

Thanks for the pic's and the info!
    You're welcome. I'll let you know and I am hoping to upgrade as soon as I free up some cash. Just thought I'd help out.

Quote Originally Posted by LJS View Post
    Great tread!
    Any idea on how much travel you will lose
    when you add the bump stops?
    Well right now with my OME HD and 265/70/17's, when my tire compresses up into the wheel well, my tire stops about 3/4" to 1" away from rubbing the front of the rear wheel wells. The only thing stopping it from compressing even farther up are the longer OME shocks and the factory bump stops are about 1" to 1.5" from touching so they are not even being used. Extending them about 2" or 3" would hopefully limit upward travel just enough to not have any problems with the 285/70/17's. It would therefore only limit the upward travel approximately .5" to 1.5" to keep the tire clear from rubbing.

One other thing to note if you have the front 4xguard skid, the owner of the black wk with 285's told me that he had to trim his skid due to rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by 03sv View Post
    thanks for posting, i wanted to grab some 275/70 bfg at's cause im sick of the road noise that my MT's make but didnt want to waste the money if they would look to big..now i know for sure. thanks again
    You're welcome....I knew I was curious about this and others had to be as well.
    Last edited by Lifted_up; 05-05-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Ok...well I thought I'd give you guys an update. I went ahead and added some bump stops extensions to my OME HD lift. I had two goals when I was doing this. I was looking to keep my shocks from bottoming out and being damaged and also to limit the upward travel when the tires tuck in the wheel wells. As stated earlier in this thread...I am wanting to limit the up travel in order to add 285/70/17's and keep them from rubbing the front of the rear wheel wells.

Here's what I used to do this

2- M10 x 1.50 100mm long Grade 8 bolts (I found these at O'Reilly Auto Parts and they are bolts for mounting a starter)
    2- M10 washers
    2- 2" PVC couplers (from Home Depot)
    Primer and Paint

Here are some pics

Here are the bump stops in the factory position

Here's after I installed the extensions

Here's the top of the tire at full tuck before the extensions

After the extensions
    Last edited by Lifted_up; 12-03-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Icon9180wk

Here's the front of the rear wheel well at full tuck before the extensions

Here's after the extensions (I took this one at a different angle than the other one so there was actually more clearance gained than there appears to be)

And then after all the work was done...I went out and played a little bit. And nothing broke....

Last edited by Lifted_up; 05-05-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Nice Job, Nice pictures, it will be interesting to see how the new tires fit and how the jeep performs off road.
    08 CRD 115,000
    OME HD Lift about 3"
    4xGuard Rails
    Stillens
    AEV Wheels 5.3 BS
    JBA UCA's
    Lockpic

Icon9180wk

Thanks...yeah I can't wait for new tires. That's all I can think about! lol
    Hopefully I will have enough clearance for the tires. Unfortunately I won't know until I get some.
    Last edited by Lifted_up; 05-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Default Finally some new tires

I just wanted to give you guys an update. I finally pulled the trigger on some new tires. I had been looking around for quite a while and finally found what I thought to be a good deal at my local Big O Tire. I picked up some 285/70/17 Hankook Dynapro MT's for 866.62 installed and out the door. I think that's a killer price. Each tire was priced at 189 each. I added some pics for your guys viewing pleasure. Everything worked out great and the only rubbing i have is slight and at full lock when turning. My bump stop extensions are still holding strong and working great. They are the perfect length and keep the rear tires from rubbing during full stuff. Enjoy!!

Rear tire with suspension fully compressed...

Just some random shots....

Last edited by Lifted_up; 11-26-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Registered

Badass, man. I like it.

little off topic but anyone know how to mount that hi-lift jack to the rola roof rack like the black WK did?
    2009 GC overland 5.7 hemi: 18% side and 45% windshield tint // shorty antenna // SRT8 oem intake w/k&n filter // BT catch can

1997 cherokee sport: 5.5' XD rubicon express long arm // SYE kit with woods extended drive shaft // 33' BFG mud terrains // front and rear bumpers // 4.56 gears // rear diff guard // flowmaster exhaust // alpine head unit

2005 GC 4.7 limited - sold
    1996 cherokee - sold
    1994 wrangler - sold

Looks great man!
    I've been thinking of stepping up to the OME lift w/ a 285 tire myself. I'm currently running the RC 2" w/ 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler

Are those pics with the 1.25" spacer?
    Do you have any pics looking straight at the truck from the front and rear?

Looks sweet!
    08 CRD 115,000
    OME HD Lift about 3"
    4xGuard Rails
    Stillens
    AEV Wheels 5.3 BS
    JBA UCA's
    Lockpic

Icon314

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    Looks great man!
    I've been thinking of stepping up to the OME lift w/ a 285 tire myself. I'm currently running the RC 2" w/ 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler

Are those pics with the 1.25" spacer?
    Do you have any pics looking straight at the truck from the front and rear?
    Yeah....I still have the 1.25" spacers on. You definitely won't regret the switch from RC to OME! Sorry I don't have any pics from the front and rear but I will try to take some as soon as I can. Right now I only have a few because when I got the tires, it was freezing cold outside and getting dark. I only went for a quick run to test out clearance and flex the suspension. I'm at work today now too so hopefully I will be able to take some more on sunday. I'll post them if I do.
    Last edited by Lifted_up; 11-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJS View Post
    Looks sweet!
    Thanks LJS...I had the biggest permagrin after I walked out of the tire shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted_up View Post
    Yeah....I still have the 1.25" spacers on. You definitely won't regret the switch from RC to OME! Sorry I don't have any pics from the front and rear but I will try to take some as soon as I can. Right now I only have a few because when I got the tires, it was freezing cold outside and getting dark. I only went for a quick run to test out clearance and flex the suspension. I'm at work today now too so hopefully I will be able to take some more on sunday. I'll post them if I do.

Great, post them up man!

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    Great, post them up man!
    Well I was able to take some pics but it was snowing here so I had to go out and play. Here's some pics. I posted the rest from my little outing in the members pic thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast