Thread: dana 44 bearing cap torque

Default dana 44 bearing cap torque

well i had to replace my rear axles today but cant find the differential bearing cap bolt torque specs. any one know them. and yes i have a manual.

87 in-lbs in the FSM, but 87 ft-lbs in the rebuilders manual????
    Last edited by EMAXXX; 04-17-2010 at 07:02 PM.

1982 JEEP CJ7 Pics and Specs
    258 W/MOPAR FI, AMC20 & D30 w/4.10, T5, D300, 32"

ok, what about the ring gear bolts, had to remove it to get the pin out so i could knock the broken axle piece out.

105ft-lbs ring gear

Does anyone know if the carrier is a typo in the FSM? Its gotta be ft-lbs

1982 JEEP CJ7 Pics and Specs
    258 W/MOPAR FI, AMC20 & D30 w/4.10, T5, D300, 32"

found out its more like 40-50 lbs. i do remember finding somewhere that it stated something in the range of 80 lbs but after stripping a few of them found the site that called for 40-50, guess it depends on the bolt size and these also have the bend over locking tabs, plus the red loctite i put on. its all back together and running fine again. life is good. well guess it didnt do to bad seeing as the axles were 55 years old and have spent the last 20 years powered by a 350 sbc. guess these will go at least another 10-15 years and thats longer than ill be around.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...structions.pdf

Go to the last page, all specs are listed for your application

thanks, ill be saving the info.

Those older 44's use 3/8-24 UNF grade 8 bolts. The AMC/Jeep Service Specs booklet I have says 55 ft. lbs. I torque them to 50 ft. lbs. using red loctite. You shouldn't reuse the old bolts. Use new ones as that's a lot of torque for a bolt that size.
    Jeeper80

i might check into buying new ones, only found a site so far that wants about $5.00 a bolt, but i did use red loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
    i might check into buying new ones, only found a site so far that wants about $5.00 a bolt, but i did use red loctite.
    My friend got some from Randy's Ring and Pinion. OEM type Grade 8 with the large hex head.
    Jeeper80

ill check with them monday.

these are my old axles.axle2.jpg

Old 10 spline tapered axles. Those were used prior to 62 I believe. What did you do to break it? I can see where the right one was going also. You can upgrade those to 19 spline. Also requires a side gear change.
    Jeeper80

what i did was get a little to showy on the street, speed shifting through the gears. im running a 350 sbc with a saginaw four speed. ive had the jeep for almost 20 years, but 99% of what i use it for is four wheeling, rock crawling. unfortunately i replaced my old HEI with a new one and it made a big difference, so big that i figured id do some go fast shifting on the highway. got a lot of thumbs up, 1955 jeep taking off like a rocket, but id was dumb. lucky i had bought a new set of axles years back. im just glad it was the axles and not the locker. now if i just go back to driving it normal and using it for four wheeling again i should be good for another 15 - 20 years. i sheared the teeth on one front axle once being stupid, again i got lucky and didnt hurt the front power-loc, i had bought the power-loc new from a guy couple hundred miles away and believe me there hard to find, especially new. well its all back together and im happy again. and so is my old willys.

another question. when i re-installed my rear hubs i had the outer axle seal and then a large hub seal, but there is another seal of some type for the hub. it is a large metal cup that looks like a flange with a hat, kinda like the metal axle cap, that seems to take some kinda seal in it. it goes up further on the hub shaft. maybe the hub shaft seal that i used takes its place, but if the other one is available id like to get it. the the hub would have two seals, one closer to the backing plate and one further out. any one know what piece im talking about.

this is the cap im talking about, i cant even find it anywhere on any parts list, is it just a dust shield.seal cap.jpg

Thats a grease protector or deflector. It's purpose is to catch any oil or grease that gets past the outer wheel bearing seal and direct it through a corresponding hole (6 o'clock position) in the backing plate and axle housing flange away from the brakes. Notice that at the bottom there's a little channel. It's supposed to line up with the holes that I mentioned.
    Jeeper80

thats makes sense to me. just wanted to make sure it did have some kind of rope seal that was suppose to be installed in it.