Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: front driver side tire lean?????

Default front driver side tire lean?????

My 81 Scrambler's front driver side tire leans in at the top a little. Had it alligned today and they said that it was out of allignment pretty bad but now should be good to go. It still has the lean to it and is noticeable visibly and can feel it at slow speeds but diminishes at around 35-40 mph and REALLY returns at close to highway speeds. What the hell could this be?????

Tire alignment in a CJ is pretty much a DIY job, The only adjustments are toe and steering wheel straightness. The front wheels are usually set about 1/16" toe in at the front. I tend to think that you have other problems than alignment. For one are your wheel bearings adjusted correctly? Can you grab the top of the wheel in question and rock it in and out? There are a few other reasons why your wheel could be tilted in, I would think an alignment shop would pick up on that. If you were to lay a carpenter's level against the tire it should be only leaning outward slightly.

Haven't tried jacking it up yet to check the wheel bearings. I figured the alignment shop would have told me if something was out of whack. I'll check the wheel bearings tomorrow and see what i come up with. Any ideas what else it may be until then?

Ball Joints...

Seriously... There is something rotten in Denmark here as this is a SOLID front axle which SHOULD have positive camber on BOTH wheels, UNLESS...
    - the axle
    - or the knuckle
    - or the spindle.... is BENT.... OR there are balljoint wear or install issues...

Loose bearings , unless they are about to fall off, should NOT cause this issue...
    Home - Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by xjtoms View Post
    Haven't tried jacking it up yet to check the wheel bearings. I figured the alignment shop would have told me if something was out of whack. I'll check the wheel bearings tomorrow and see what i come up with. Any ideas what else it may be until then?
    The shop won't always catch that. when you check the ball joints and wheel bearings make sure that the brake pads are not pressing against the rotors. I had my toe in set but still had steering issues. ended up being loose wheel bearings. hope this helps
    85 CJ-7 Nuttered w/ TeamRush upgrade & 8,000 lb winch
    94 5.2 Grand ZJ 250,000 + On the road again w/242 swap

ya..seems strange to me....gonna check it out this evening and rotate tires as well just in case its a wheel/tire issue (i pray that it is!) but i will also check everything you guys mentioned. thanks hopefully it's not catestrophic!!!

what size tire are you running? because the bigger the tire the more exaggerated the angle looks the rim may be in the correct angle but a 35 inch tire per say is going to have more of angle look at the top then the rim.
    2009 commander (family hauler)
    1982 cj-5 amc V-8 4 speed on 31's for now
    in search of windsheild cj-5 pm me pics and prices

Registered

Icon91

Check your wheel bearings and make sure you do NOT have an issue with your spindle(broken, maybe?).
    Respectfully,
    LG

Forum Leader

Did they give you a printout of what the measurements were/are before and after the alignment?

I'm curious if they show any change in camber.

I had a minor camber problem on mine. The local Firestone shop installed some adjustable uppers on it and no more problem!
    Of course, this only works if everything mentioned above is good!
    When you turn on your Jeep - Does it return the favor?

'86 CJ7; 4" lift; 258; Weber; DUI; Borlas; TF999; etc. etc. etc.
    '04 TJ Sahara

I had the same problem on my previous Jeep. I had bent the front axle on my D30 when I was having too much fun off road.

I hope that you will be able to correct yours without having to have any major work done.
    ========================================
    1982/1983 Cj-7 360/T-18 33"'s

Just took it back on my lunch break and they put it on the lift, and the wheel bearings and everything feels tight to me and them. My 33's MTs are cupped and every other lug is worn differently (typical mud terr) so they determined it was the tires. No squeek or squeal from the bearings and like i said me and 3 other mechanics there saw nothing but the tires being the prob....but it just doesn't seem like that is the prob but maybe it is...i'll put up the printout later this evening also.

never seen tires cause camber issue imo
    2009 commander (family hauler)
    1982 cj-5 amc V-8 4 speed on 31's for now
    in search of windsheild cj-5 pm me pics and prices

What does the tire wear pattern look like across the tread? From what you describe, I would think there would be more wear on the inside edge of the tire. If the wheel bearings and ball joints are not loose, it sounds as though something may be bent.
    Jeeper80

If something were bent then what could it be? Also like i said, you can feel it at very low speeds not extremely noticeable because it is a lifted bouncy CJ8, but noticeable and goes away at 20-45mph then returns at speed above that in a violent manner shakes and shimmys everywhere.

Registered

Icon91

Bent----Thinking the axle housing.
    Respectfully,
    LG

XJTOMS, maybe you could check for a bent axle housing by setting up the front axle on jack stands and removing the front wheels. From there level out the long tube with a small carpenters level using shims on the jacks. Then compare the level readings from each side using the rotor as a guide, as they should be near vertical. I once got my CJ six feet into the air once and that required a another axle housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
    Bent----Thinking the axle housing.
    Respectfully,
    LG
    I would agree.
    If all the components are good that is pretty much the only thing it could be.
    Should have shown up in an alignment report.

Regarding your wobble issue, it may be that your tires are out of round.

That will cause the wobble to come and go at different speeds.

I know several truck drivers that when putting new front tires on their rigs have them trued to prevent this.
    Dont get so excited dear ... I have the Cj just about where i want it ... except for the 4 to 1 ... and the 40's on beadlocks ... and the roll cage ...

My RigRater Score: 792RRv1.0 with a BOA of 28.54

Thanks for the advice. I will try that this weekend. Just scored some new black rock crawler steelies for a great price and my new 35" KM2's are gonna take a bit but should be here in a few weeks. I have been talking with a few people and they agree that it is either a bent rim or more than likely my tires, they are pretty bad....i sure do hope so because i will be set in that dept. soon. If it's not then it definately won't be the first time that i have scratched my head due to an issue on my Scrambler! Thanks again!

Forum Leader

A bent wheel wouldn't be tipped in at the top all the time. As the wheel/tire assembly rotates the leaned in part would move around in the circle it travels in.

Still waiting to see those camber numbers which are taken without the wheel/tire installed........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast