Thread: 2 piece lug nuts

Registered

Default 2 piece lug nuts

I had a state inspection and swapped my winter tires (mounted on separate wheels) two weeks ago or so at the local dealer. I just noticed today that 3 lug nuts were non matching (no cap) with my normal nuts. I called the dealer to bitch (i'm out of town or i would have taken it back today for them to replace them) and I was pretty upset that they didn't even tell me about it.

Talked to the service writer, nice guy, and he was telling me that the lug nuts are two parts, the inner sleeve and the outside cover that goes completely over the sleeve. He mentioned that sometimes the sleeves 'slide off with expansion in the heat or water" Told me to come back in and they would replace the nuts if they were in stock...they damn well better be, i dont have time to be screwing around for this stuff.

Is this right about the two piece thing? I had to swap a flat before and they were just one piece i guess, but now that i look closer at the ones on my wk right now, they have an anti rotation groove but i'm not really sure how the cap/sleeve would actually attach to the inner sleeve. Not to mention if i have a flat in either of those two wheels i wont be able to replace the tire on the road since the nut is a different size now...ridiculous
    2007 WK Laredo 4x4, Red Rock, 26F package, 3.7L, QTI
    General Grabber HTS
    Firestone Winterforce UV, #12 Carbide studs

There right,the OEM lugnuts are a crappy 2 piece design.The covers fall off at will,you will have no issues removing the lugnuts as long as you use a 6-point socket.Just buy some solid lugnuts and be done with it,McGard makes about the best.Unless you never have your lugnuts touched again they will fall apart after time,no way to avoid unless you get solid lugnuts and not a excuse to make someone else pay for them when it will happen regardless.
    I drive a Liberty,laugh now.

Sitting on 35's,HP44,RockJock60,and 4:3 AtlasII

Registered

Sounds like a plan, looking at mcgard 64010, 1/2" lug nuts, should work with the factory lug wrench. Same size appears to be good for every jeep into antiquity apparently.
    General Grabber HTS

I think it's the impact wrenches that mess these up because my ZJ has the same 2 piece lug nuts but because I have 2 sets of tires/rims and I swap them myself with the seasons and use hand tools I have never had one come apart...but I have seen them like that on other ChryCo products...
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
    H-4/ECE Headlights, Painless Wiring Harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Front and rear tow hitches, Air Lift, Bilsteins
    Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust
    B&M Supercooler

07 WK Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadradrive II

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC/Cobra Drive

An 18mm socket fits the nuts after the cap falls off.

True story on the impacts. I broke the caps of 4 of my WJ lugnuts with a cordless impact gun, I guess they just can't handle the vibration. I only use breaker bar/torque wrench now.

2007 WK Laredo X
    4.7 V8 K&N FIPK, Superchipped, Boston system, Sirius, RR2.25 Lift, BFG MT 255/75/17 Spidertrax 1.25 spacers

Semper Fi / Uno Ab Alto

Quote Originally Posted by louc View Post
    I think it's the impact wrenches that mess these up
    I'm a mechanic by trade, and see many domestic vehicles with 2 piece lug nuts. Yes, they area PIS design.
    Using impact wrenches is a sure way to destroy them. On my own vehicles I never use impact wrenches.... and they look good for years.

Just try telling a shop not to use an impact gun on your wheels, or better yet, as mentioned in previous post, buy the Mcgard nuts.

Racor CCV 3500

Hate the two piece lug nuts as well. One of the worst days of my life came at the expense of these things...hot summer day in south Florida, in suit, flat tire, tire iron does not fit the lug "without" cap. Sucks is the only word that comes to mind.

I've changed the nuts on my WJ some time ago. Just getting around to the WK. Is the Mcgard 64010 the right model (correct seating, bulge, length, etc.)? Do all the wheels have the same seating surface and is the length of the stud similar?? Just want to order the right model, but not sure if there are differences depending on wheel type.
    2008 GC Limited 4.7L; QDII
    2001 BMW M Roadster S54
    2008 Infiniti EX35

Past Jeeps
    2002 GC Special Edition 4.0L
    1999 GC Laredo 4.0L
    1993 Cherokee Sport 4.0L

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by RStokes View Post
    Hate the two piece lug nuts as well. One of the worst days of my life came at the expense of these things...hot summer day in south Florida, in suit, flat tire, tire iron does not fit the lug "without" cap. Sucks is the only word that comes to mind.

I've changed the nuts on my WJ some time ago. Just getting around to the WK. Is the Mcgard 64010 the right model (correct seating, bulge, length, etc.)? Do all the wheels have the same seating surface and is the length of the stud similar?? Just want to order the right model, but not sure if there are differences depending on wheel type.
    from my research that is the correct number (and should be for most every jeep), it should work fine with the stock lug wrench

if you wait a few days, i'll let you know for sure, mine are in the mail now
    General Grabber HTS

Registered

Put em on today, mcgard 64010 is the right size, they look pretty similar, a bit shinier but not much, maybe a hair taller, flat face.

The old ones were in awful shape, the aluminum cap is egg shell thin and the steel-Al margin on most of them are corroded to hell
    General Grabber HTS

Many thanks for the follow-up. I'm going to order a set today.
    2001 BMW M Roadster S54
    2008 Infiniti EX35

Past Jeeps
    1999 GC Laredo 4.0L
    1993 Cherokee Sport 4.0L

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by RStokes View Post
    Many thanks for the follow-up. I'm going to order a set today.
    If you haven't ordered already, i found the cheapest price at amazon.

You can either order directly through amazon itself (and free super saver shipping - but that takes forever) or through amazon, but shipped from 'autopartsway', same price but got here in 2 days, would have been 1 but amazon messed up the address.

8.25/4 pack + ~10 bucks shipping
    General Grabber HTS

Cool...thanks again for the info.
    2001 BMW M Roadster S54
    2008 Infiniti EX35

Past Jeeps
    1999 GC Laredo 4.0L
    1993 Cherokee Sport 4.0L