Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whining noise when I accelerate

So if I replace the carrier bearings, will the whine go away?

Registered

If you put the window down, does it sound like its coming from the front left tire area?.

There were a couple posts about two or three months back where the noise would start around 20mph and go up to about 50mph.. over 50 it was not noticeable.

Anyway- it turned out to be the front spindle was slightly loose. Tighten the spindle, noise went away. It noise sounded just like you are describing it to be.
    The Pennsylvania State University
    -B.S. Chemistry 2011
    Forensic Scientist

Black 2001 4.0 WJ

2" BB
    Firestone Destination AT
    Black Westin safari bar
    (2) 130w long range KC HiLites
    (2) Yellow Fogs mounted behind the grille
    Limited headlights

Bad fan belts can make sounds like that or a good belt that is too loose (bad tensioner).

Check the inside of the belt and how much you can deflect it.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

I have changed out both front hubs, new cross drilled and slotted brakes all around, fluid changes in both front and rear diffs, and fluid changed on tranny.

Registered

... I assume it is still making the whining noise?

put your window down when driving, listen to try to pinpoint if it is coming from the front tire area. If it does sound like it is coming from the tire well, pull the tire off and check the spindle and see if its slightly loose.
    The Pennsylvania State University
    -B.S. Chemistry 2011
    Forensic Scientist

Black 2001 4.0 WJ

2" BB
    Firestone Destination AT
    Black Westin safari bar
    (2) 130w long range KC HiLites
    (2) Yellow Fogs mounted behind the grille
    Limited headlights

Registered

I had the same problem with my front diff when I accelerated. It was the pinion bearing. I have plans on rebuilding the front diff at a later time but for myself it was cheaper and faster for me to do a temporary axles swap. Reason why i say axles is I replaced both front and rear do to a different gear ratio from a 6 cylinder model. I know the rear is a weaker axle but as I said it is temporary.

I would recommend you find a shop that specializes in rebuilding differentials and know up front what it is going to cost. My reason why I swapped out the axles is the one mechanic I took my WJ to ripped me off, told me it would take 10 hours to repair and then after 5 hours called me up stating he had issues and it was going to take about 35 hours. To me he tried to take me for a ride thinking I wouldn't tell him to slap the wheels back on it and drive off. Fooled him.4

Anyway, hope you have better luck than I did.
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L (POS)

If you have access to a lift get it up in the air and run it. Easiest way to find drive train noises.

94 5.2

Patriot Guard Riders Cager
    www.patriotguard.org

Location Leader
    Wreaths Across America
    Jacksonville National Cemetery
    www.WreathsAcrossAmerica.org
    www.WreathsAcrossAmericaJacksonville.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGVRzllI1c

Wreaths Across America programs will be taking place on 15 Dec 12 at over 700 location this year. Please go to their website and sponsor a wreath to be laid upon a Veterans grave.

I had this problem and replaced both hubs and cv halfshafts and now no more noise. Yayyyyy

Icon922

I'm going to inspect my carrier bearings this weekend. I will also inspect the Accessory Belt Pulley and the Idle Belt Tensioner. Hopefully I find the root of the damn problem.

Ohh, I can feel the vibration through the front of my WJ. When the noise is going on, its not only loud (getting louder with more speed), but it's also felt through the front cab of my Jeep.

Icon922

So I checked both my accessory and idle pulleys. Those are in good condition and no problems.

Outside of checking my carrier bearings, front diff, and spindles, can anyone else think of something I might be missing?

Default same whining noise

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander and it started making the same whining noise 2 days ago. It sounds like it is coming from the front and only happens when I accelerate. I can put it in park and rev the engine and still hear the noise, not instantly, but after a few seconds of pushing on the gas pedal. What could this be?? I am hoping nothing major! I am a woman and nervous about taking it in somewhere before I figure out a few things that it could be...I have learned my lesson before and they always tell me that things are wrong when they are not. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Drem View Post
    If you have access to a lift get it up in the air and run it. Easiest way to find drive train noises.
    x2 or 4 jacks stands lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pogster View Post
    Gets louder with vehicle speed

No, I can rev the motor in P and never hear it.

Yes, when my WJ is moving, that's when I hear the noise. The noise gets higher pitched and louder, the faster I go. If, I put my WJ in N at say 60, the noise is still there.

If tied to engine speed only, it's probably a pulley or?

If tied to vehicle speed it's the front diff, CV joints, or?
    It's not a pulley or anything on the engine.

It has to be in the running gear.

CV joint, front differential, driveshaft???
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

I think I am having this issue as well, has anyone resolved it?

how about check the fluid in the differential??? holy older post lol
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

I seriously have the same exact problem! Its annoying... my sister likes it cause it puts the babies to sleep and my friend says she feels like shes on a plane cause it sounds as if you were up at 35k feet up in the air. If im on the fwy and i have my foot on gas.... its there and the pitch gets higher the faster i go.. if i let go.. the sound goes away.. then i step on gas again and the sound continues. (im hearing it as i type this omg lol ) Idk what it is.... help pwwweease! has anyone solved the issue?
    oh and i just had the differentals fluids changed a couple days ago.
    -Krysta
    XoXo

1999 Green WJ
    1968 green VW bug
    ** NO i do not like green lol **

I had a similar noise, it turned out to be the T Case front output bearing. The sound actually came from the slinger on the drive shaft yoke scraping on the casing because of the play in the bearing. Take off your front drive shaft and see if the noise will stop. To replace the bearing the T Case needs to be split and the input shaft removed. I replaced both front and rear seals while I was at it. It can be done with the T Case on the Jeep but I pulled mine.
    3" lift with O.M.E HD springs, KOR .75 spacers, MX6 shocks, K.O.R. SS, Rusty's Adj front and rear LCAs , JKS Adj front UCA's, JKS ADJ Track Bar, Addco front and rear swaybars, Tera A Frame Spacer, K&N intake, relocated MAT sensor and 62mm bored throttle body. Mopar tow hooks front and rear, factory front and transaxle skids.

If your wj is a 99-01 with the 4.0, there is a tsb for front axle whine. It involves installing a new driveshaft and front yoke. TSB NUMBER: 03-001-01 REV. A

You may also wish to spray lube the crap out of the cv joint on the driveshaft (I am assuming that the wj's have them). Then roadtest it to see if the noise goes away. The cv joint have a tendancy to dry out and cause a very loud squealing noise. We call it "angry sparrows" on the TJ board.
    2005 Rubi LJ 35's 5.5 Clayton
    lots of extras

2000 wrangler 35" Goodyears Rock-trac super 88 hp30 4.88Terminator trans 5.5" RE/Clayton lots of xtras. RIP
    2000 WJ 4.0 addco upcountry springs bilsteins
    2001 H-D Duece Black and Chrome (For Sale)
    1997 YZF1000 200mph Superbike (RIP)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2