Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: amsoil power steering fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake03KJ View Post
    I've got 15k miles on the Amsoil Power Steering Fluid in my 07 in my Signature...
    so you've got PSF in place of the Mopar 10838 spec? i know the PS unit will handle it. my concern would be the hydraulic fan not spooling up to full speed and possibly leading to overheating issues. no problems in your case?

Registered

Haven't had a problem and we have seen near 90*F this past summer with it, with the A/C cranked in Bumper to Bumper traffic.
    07 WK Overland CRD Black/4xGuard Belly Skid & Rear Skid/Husky Liners/Jeep Mudflaps/Some Extra Tinting/InMotion Stg II/MBRP Exhaust

SWB Ex Cab K2500HD 04.5 Lt/Amsoil B2B/

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    True ... I do not now or have I ever used sub-standard products especially ones distributed by a pyramid marketing scheme by vendors who routinely mislead their customer base in regard to their products and, in fact, often their own identity as a vendor or agent of a vendor (IE: hack).

It does cause one to wonder why someone would voraciously continue defend the use of sub-standard products if they do not have a financial incentive to do so.

FWIW: Synthetic products that meet the appropriate specs are available from legitimate companies at a lower cost at your corner auto parts store, why consider Amsoil at all?
    What exactly is the reason for your deep seated personal bias towards Amsoil products?

Did the local Amsoil rep steal your girlfriend when you were in ninth grade?

Kick your dog at a local trade show? I don't get it??

Calling me or others who have had very positive, real world, time and mileage tested, experiences with Amsoil products "hacks" doesn't give you any credibility here. Are we "hacks" because we have real world time and mileage tested proof of Amsoil fluids long term suitability in Jeep vehicles? Or is it our real world results don't jive with your personal bias and opinions on Amsoil products? Either way your personal bias and opinions are fluff, with absolutely no relevance at all. Your an internet expert, with no real world tech experience on the subject! You and your keyboard do not make you an expert, just an old windbag with an axe to grind!

Both Redline and Royal Purple Synthetic fluids are manufactured by similar nitch companies with similar marketing schemes but you only see fit to bash Amsoil products. Why? I've never used any RP products but I have used many Redline products over the years and have found them to be very good performers, much like the Amsoil fluids I have used with great success.

And for the record ..........AGAIN ~ I do not work with or for, sell, or profit in any way, from Amsoil products. Just a very satisfied user of their fluids with over 200K miles of experience with them in my Jeep vehicles!

Just to recap..... Your experience with Amsoil fluids is?? Whats the word............ oh ya....... NONEXISTENT, Not one drop for one mile!
    Please explain why your opinions on this topic have any meaning to anyone at all on this board?

That was of course a rhetorical question! Please spare us!
    Last edited by 09Hemi; 03-15-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Registered

All these private, aftermarket oils are probably pretty good stuff in their own way. They have an almost religious following that believe (and with some good reasons) while their stuff is better than the OEM recommended stuff.

RedLine, Amsoil, Royal purple etc are marketed to the high performance niche, and have some pretty good following. They even pay big bucks to sponsor some pretty successful teams.

However they have their own oil modification philosophys. They change around the antiwear, anti-foaming, etc attributes to formulate their own lubricants for specific purposes and marketing.

The OEM's spend hundreds of $Millions to spec out their own oils, and manufacturers than can meet these specs are allowed to use the accredited seals of approval on their packaging. This allows the consumer to buy with confidence. Those that do not are out on a limb.

If you use the specified lubes on your vehicles, you are covered by the manufacturers warrantys, and are pretty well covered in case of issues. If you use the aftermarket stuff, you may or may not be covered, depending on the vehicle manufacturer.

Some high performance teams do their own testing and chose the oils that work best in their own specific applications. The casual consumer pretty much needs to run on faith and reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by HEMIJEEP! View Post
    All these private, aftermarket oils are probably pretty good stuff in their own way. They have an almost religious following that believe (and with some good reasons) while their stuff is better than the OEM recommended stuff.

RedLine, Amsoil, Royal purple etc are marketed to the high performance niche, and have some pretty good following. They even pay big bucks to sponsor some pretty successful teams.

However they have their own oil modification philosophys. They change around the antiwear, anti-foaming, etc attributes to formulate their own lubricants for specific purposes and marketing.

The OEM's spend hundreds of $Millions to spec out their own oils, and manufacturers than can meet these specs are allowed to use the accredited seals of approval on their packaging. This allows the consumer to buy with confidence. Those that do not are out on a limb.

If you use the specified lubes on your vehicles, you are covered by the manufacturers warrantys, and are pretty well covered in case of issues. If you use the aftermarket stuff, you may or may not be covered, depending on the vehicle manufacturer.

Some high performance teams do their own testing and chose the oils that work best in their own specific applications. The casual consumer pretty much needs to run on faith and reputation.
    well put.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowGT View Post
    I'm not here to pick a fight. If you have specific knowledge that applies to your blanket anti-Amsoil statement, why don't you share it so the rest of us don't end up with damaged equipment and voided warranties? (That's why I made the statement 'do share'.) As a matter of fact, it should be a sticky at the top of every forum. I don't understand why you'd keep that kind of information a secret? Because 'Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be'. Right? I tried to help him and I tried to help myself by looking for further clarification on your statement. I've never had any failures due to Amsoil. This WK we just got has 80,000 miles of DC Extra Care warranty remaining. If somebody has info that shows Amsoil's products could cause me any issues with future warranty claims, I'd really like to find that info.

No I am not an Amsoil dealer/distributor. I found the 'preferred customer' program to be much less hassle.

I'm not sure where 'disreputable hack' comes from so if you really wanna poke me with that you'll need to explain it a little further.

Amsoil has products that satisfy the specs for every fluid called for in my 05 Hemi, my 03 8.1L Yukon, my 93 Accord, my mustangs, my wife's cars and pretty much everything else we have around here with an engine or gearbox. I'm not sure about the old Farmall or the older Simplicities though. I wouldn't mind showing the detailed info for those fluids specific to your Jeep, but I don't have the time to list every item on your list just for fun. When you went and found that list why not provide us with the 'page posted where they explain why their products don't/can't meet the specs'? Or a link to anything that corroborates the statement.

Here's a few from your list. For a quick read, just read the red text. (I tried to filter out most of the unnecessary info)

AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines, diesel engines (API CF, ACEA B5) and other applications requiring SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 with the following worldwide specifications:

API SM/CF, SL, SJ …
    • ILSAC GF-4, 3 …
    • ACEA A5/B5-04
    • GM 4718M, 6094M
    • Ford WSS-M2C929-A
    • Honda HTO-06
    Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
    • VW 503.00

AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines and other applications requiring any of the listed worldwide specifications:

API SM/CF, SL, SJ ...
    •ILSAC GF-4, 3 ...
    •ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
    •JASO VTW
    •GM 4718M, 6094M
    •Ford WSS-M2C205-A
    •VW 503.00

AMSOIL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oils are excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. They are recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

XLT 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

API SM/CF, SL, SJ ...
    •ILSAC GF-4, 3 ...
    •ACEA A1/B1
    •JASO VTW
    •GM 6094M
    •Ford WSS-M2C205-A

AMSOIL AMSOIL Synthetic Universal ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

AUTOMOTIVE

• GM DEXRON® III-H
    • Ford MERCON® & MERCON V
    Chrysler ATF+4®
    • Toyota Type T-III and T-IV
    • Honda Z-1 (Not CVT)
    • Diamond SP II & III (Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia)
    • Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
    • Subaru ATF, ATF-HP
    • Nissan Matic D, J & K
    • BMW LA2634
    • Audi G-052-025-A2 & G-052-162-A1
    • Volvo 97340
    • MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 & 236.10
    • NAG 1
    • JWS 3309
    • LT 71141
    • Idemitsu K-17
    • Mopar AS68RC
    • ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B & N402

AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Power Steering Fluid meets or exceeds motor vehicle specifications for use in GM, Chrysler, Honda, Ford, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Saab, Subaru and Audi applications.

•Ford 9M2C138-CJ, M2C33-F & ESW-M2C128-C&D
    •Volkswagen TL-VW-570-26 & TL-52146
    •GM 9985010 Saginaw Power Steering Systems
    DaimlerChrysler MS1872 & MS5931F
    •American Motor Corporation C4124
    •Navistar TMS 6810
    •Acura/Honda
    •Mercedes Benz
    •Saab
    •Subaru
    •Audi

I'm not sure where the voiding of warranties is coming from. Everybody's familiar with Magnuson-Moss.

From Amsoil's FAQ:
    Is it true that switching to AMSOIL or other synthetic oils will void my warranty?
    Answer: Absolutely not. Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals warranties remain intact when AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are used.

Recommending a product in place of a certified product does not mean that the recommended product is certified to meet the standard, just that they recommend it. If you go further into most of the product specifications you will not find any claim of it being certified by the appropriate agency.

In the case of the first item listed ... they are recommending a 0w-30 oil which is contrary to DC's recommendations. (That particular oil is API certified but not appropriate for that vehicle.)

The Magnuson-Moss Act, to my understanding, would not cover you when you intentionally use a product that you knew in advance was the wrong stuff. Your warranty requires the use of lubricants that meet specific specifications, Amsoil, in most cases, does not meet that requirement. While they imply they meet the specifications in legalese they, quite often do not.

For example: Your warranty might require API certified 10w-30 motor oil within a specified ambient temperature range. If you intentionally substitute ... say .... dirty tap water ... or the non API certified SA motor oil they sell at the dollar store that would void your warranty as you did it intentionally. It is unreasonable to expect coverage when you knowingly used the wrong stuff.

They do, however, offer a warranty of their own, you can sue them to recover damages.

If you want that link you can look for yourself at Amsoil's web site or look back through my postings .... I followed a link offered by another Amsoil distributor several years ago. If the link is still active it is interesting reading, I'm sure the meetings between the advertising and the legal departments were fun.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Quote Originally Posted by 09Hemi View Post
    What exactly is the reason for your deep seated personal bias towards Amsoil products?

<snip> [/I]

Just to recap..... Your experience with Amsoil fluids is?? Whats the word............ oh ya....... NONEXISTENT, Not one drop for one mile!
    Please explain why your opinions on this topic have any meaning to anyone at all on this board?

That was of course a rhetorical question! Please spare us!
    My bias is clearly mentioned in almost every post.... Most of the products they recommend do not meet the minimum specifications of any modern vehicle.

To recap: I do not now nor have I in the past recommended non or sub-standard lubricants

-br

PS: When you stop saying that all Amsoil products meet the appropriate specifications or Amsoil actually starts meeting the minimum manufacturer's specifications I'll stop saying they don't meet the appropriate minimum specifications.

As it is clearly posted in my signature line: Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

@ Billy Ray
    Why don't you let it go.
    There are Amway,.....oops..... Amsoil people and there are others.

Just to add a little heat to the fire about this Amsoil debate We run a fleet of 20 trucks, 26ft strait trucks with the big Cat engines in them, that are built to run up to 400,000 before a rebuild (says the factory).........we put 5000 miles a night on those trucks 365 days a year. Out of those 20 trucks 7 of them have over 850,000 miles and 1 that just turned over 975,000 miles (all original engines, no rebuilds). Those trucks all run Amsoil fluid............for you truckers out there, that is damn good to get those kind of miles out of any engine. Is it the Amsoil fluid or the top notch maintenance my guys do on the trucks, i don't know, but i can tell you Amsoil sure isn't hurting our trucks.

Also if you go to any snowmobile, dirt bike, atv or motorcycle forum, Amsoil is considered a high performance oil that tons of people swear by. Use it in all my toys as well.

I bought my WK used and have since switched to all Amsoil fluids without any issues. I feel that is has quieted the rear diff gear noise and it has helped MSD, its not as noticeable as it was before i switched. In my mined, I feel better about how my jeep is running with these fluids. Bottom line if you stay on top of changing your fluids, your jeep should last a long time no matter what fluids you use as long as they are in spec.
    05’ WK GC, Hemi, REC/VES(rear DVD), 2.5" RR lift, 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2’s (2nd set), Rubicon Wheels, k&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, SuperChip, Factory underbody steel skid, Factory transfer steel skid, Homemade front skid, Homemade rocksliders. Commander shift nob, Nav in motion cheat, Rola roof rack, Rear air bags and remote compressor, HID, rear OME socks, front and rear SRT8 sway bars, chrome front tow hooks….that it for now

Quote Originally Posted by grebesjeep View Post
    Just to add a little heat to the fire about this Amsoil debate We run a fleet of 20 trucks, 26ft strait trucks with the big Cat engines in them, that are built to run up to 400,000 before a rebuild (says the factory).........we put 5000 miles a night on those trucks 365 days a year. Out of those 20 trucks 7 of them have over 850,000 miles and 1 that just turned over 975,000 miles (all original engines, no rebuilds). Those trucks all run Amsoil fluid............for you truckers out there, that is damn good to get those kind of miles out of any engine. Is it the Amsoil fluid or the top notch maintenance my guys do on the trucks, i don't know, but i can tell you Amsoil sure isn't hurting our trucks.

Also if you go to any snowmobile, dirt bike, atv or motorcycle forum, Amsoil is considered a high performance oil that tons of people swear by. Use it in all my toys as well.

I bought my WK used and have since switched to all Amsoil fluids without any issues. I feel that is has quieted the rear diff gear noise and it has helped MSD, its not as noticeable as it was before i switched. In my mined, I feel better about how my jeep is running with these fluids. Bottom line if you stay on top of changing your fluids, your jeep should last a long time no matter what fluids you use as long as they are in spec.
    thanks!! what power steering fluid or hydraulic fluid did you use?
    09 Overland

I use the "Synthetic Universal Power Steering Fluid, amsoil" it seemed to quite steering noise.
    05’ WK GC, Hemi, REC/VES(rear DVD), 2.5" RR lift, 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2’s (2nd set), Rubicon Wheels, k&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, SuperChip, Factory underbody steel skid, Factory transfer steel skid, Homemade front skid, Homemade rocksliders. Commander shift nob, Nav in motion cheat, Rola roof rack, Rear air bags and remote compressor, HID, rear OME socks, front and rear SRT8 sway bars, chrome front tow hooks….that it for now

slowgt...any word from amsoil?
    09 Overland

they did reply to my first inquiry, but i can't access that email from where i am now. i can summarize by saying that he talked around my question and didn't really tell me anything new. i'll post it when i get home tomorrow. nothing on the PSF question. i'll resubmit that tomorrow also.

on a side note though, i began parusing some of the oil manufacturers' websites just in case i get cold feet on the XLM. here's what i found for the 5w-20 that my 2005 WK hemi requires:

Quote Originally Posted by Mobil 1

Mobil 1 5W-20

This viscosity is recommended for most Ford and Honda vehicles since the 2001 model year. It is also the viscosity grade being recommended for many Chryslers beginning with the 2005 model year.

Mobil 1 5W-20 meets or exceeds the requirements of:

ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that flows quickly during cold starts.
    API SM/CF
    ACEA A1/B1

It is suitable for use in the following applications:

Ford WSS-M2C930-A
    Ford WSS-M2C925-A
    Chrysler MS-6395

Mobil 1 5W-20 complements a lineup of Mobil 1 products that are engineered to help keep your engine running like new. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology meets or exceeds the industry's toughest standards and outperforms all conventional motor oils. It offers exceptional performance under all operating conditions, pours at temperatures as low as -53°F (-47°C) and protects at oil temperatures as high as 400°F (205°C). Mobil 1 5W-20 meets or exceeds the warranty requirements for gasoline and turbo-charged engines in many Ford, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Chrysler vehicles where a 5W-20 viscosity oil is recommended.

For more information, see the Mobil 1 5W-20 Product Data Sheet and Material Safety Data Sheet.
    ADDED Mobil 1 5w-20 SPEC SHEET INFO:
    "Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 5W-20 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:

ACEA A1,B1
    API SM, SL,SJ,EC,CF,CD
    ILSAC GF-4

Mobil 1 5W-20 is suitable for use in the following applications:

Ford WSS- M2C930-A
    Chrysler MS-6395"

am i missing something here? this is the very product i was considering in case i can't get a straight answer from Amsoil or DC...

imo, "suitable for use in the following applications" is virtually the same as as "recommended for use in gasoline engines requiring the following worldwide specifications". yet i don't see any flaming of M1. and i don't just mean this thread...i don't recall ever seeing anybody bashing M1 on any other boards either. maybe my interpretation skills are just lacking, idk. maybe "exeeds warranty requirements" is to be interpreted as meeting a certain spec? if it does meet those specs, why not a specific list of those specs? do Chrysler, Honda, Mazda & Mitsu only have one spec? maybe they do, i'm not that familiar with them.

Here's from the Castrol Syntec 5w-20 specification sheet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Castrol Syntec 5w-20
    SAE 5W-20: Castrol SYNTEC is the first major full synthetic oil brand to offer a 5W-20 that is specifically formulated to meet the needs of Ford, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota 5W-20 service. SYNTEC 5W-20 provides excellent cold weather performance and exceeds the stringent performance, fuel economy and fuel economy retention requirements of the ILSAC GF-4 specification. SYNTEC 5W-20 also exceeds the stringent Ford WSS-M2C930-A and Ford WSS-M2C153-H specifications, and exceeds all the requirements of ILSAC GF-4 and GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils. Exceeds API SM.
    hmmm? "meets the needs of". we don't even get a DC spec # showing which needs are met. just the generic needs of Chrysler. this isn't any better than the M1 or Amsoil catch phrases. i guess i'll have to pass on SYNTEC, too.

as i continue my search i'm sure i'll find one that 'meets or exceed'. wish me luck
    Last edited by SlowGT; 03-16-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: add M1 SPEC SHEET INFO

After that last post I got to thinking about the Syntec commercial vs conventional oil. Didn't they use 2 Chargers for that? Kind of ironic given our current venue. And then there was the M1 commercial with the frying pans & dueling banjos…one of my favorites

I had a chance to do some more shopping.

The Chevron/Havoline website was so poor that I couldn't find anything. I wouldn't buy any Chevron products anyway, so I wasn't overly disappointed.

I did manage to find a new point of confusion though...'approved' vs 'meets'. Which one is better?

The oils inciting this new found confusion are:

Quote Originally Posted by Valvoline spec sheets

Valvoline SynPower 5w-20

SAE 5W-20: Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturers' warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where an API SM, SL, or CF oil is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA A1 and all requirements of ILSAC GF-3 and GF-4 for API Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

Approvals and Performance Levels
    API SM/SL/CF 0W-20 5W-20 5W-30
    ACEA A1 0W-20 5W-20 5W-30
    ACEA A5 5W-30
    ILSAC GF-4 0W-20 5W-20 5W-30
    Ford WSS-M2C930-A 0W-20 5W-20
    Ford WSS-M2C929-A 5W-30
    Chrysler MS-6395 0W-20 5W-20 5W-30
    GM 6094M 5W-20 5W-30
    GM 4718M 5W-30
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by Shell Corp spec sheets

SPECIFICATIONS & APPROVALS
    Pennzoil Platinum exceeds:
    North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline
    turbo-charged engines where API SM and earlier API categories are specified (all grades)
    North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with diesel engines where
    API CF oils are specified (10W-30, 5W-50, 15W-50)
    ILSAC GF-4Energy Conserving performance standard (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30)
    Meets the most advanced emissions and fuel economy standards in the US gasoline powered engines.
    Approved to Chrysler MS 6395Q (5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
    Meets Ford WSS M2C930-A (5W-20) and WSS-M2C929-A (5W-30)
    Approved to GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)
    Approved to GM 4718M specification for Corvette (5W-30 and 10W-30)
    Approved to Acura HTO-06 for turbo-charged applications (5W-30)
    Meets demanding ACEA requirements

So which ranks higher? ‘approved’ or ‘meets’? Maybe ‘exceeds warranty requirements’ is the key phrase here? I would think that ‘approved’ would indicate that the OEM has signed off on that specific formulation. Or are they approving the 'exceeds warranty requirements' claim? If that's the case, then they could never deny a claim because the oil used didn't specify 'meets'. The thing is my owner’s manual doesn’t make any mention of ‘approved’ engine oils. It’s pretty clear when it says “oil that is API service class SM certified AND meets Chrysler MS-6395 specifications. There's one sure way to find out...It looks like I need to condense all of the pertinent data from this thread and write a letter to Jeep/DC for some clarification.

And now the definite, without a doubt, winners:

Quote Originally Posted by Connoco/Phillips spec sheets

Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium meets or exceeds the requirements of:
    • API Service SM, SL, CF (SM, SL only for SAE 0W-20)
    • Energy Conserving, ILSAC GF-4
    Chrysler MS-6395Q (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
    • Ford WSS-M2C930-A (SAE 5W-20), WSS-M2C929-A
    (SAE 5W-30), WSS-M2C205-A (SAE 10W-30)
    • GM6094M (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by Shell Corp spec sheets

Quaker State Q-Horsepower
    PERFORMANCE
    Meets or exceeds API SM and prior Service Classifications
    Meets or exceeds the API CF diesel specification (SAE 5W-30, 10W-30 and 5W-50)
    Meets or exceeds the requirements of ILSAC GF-4, GF-3 and GF-2 (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
    Meets or exceeds the requirements for GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
    Meets or exceeds Ford WSS M2C930-A specification (SAE 5W-20)
    Meets or exceeds Ford WSS M2C929-A (SAE 5W-30)
    Meets or exceeds the Chrysler MS 6395N specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
    Meets or exceeds the requirements for approval to GM 4718M (5W-30 and 10W-30)
    Meets the European ACEA A1-02 (0W-20, 5W-20), ACEA A5-02 (5W-30), A3-02 (5W-50), A3/B3/B4-04
    (5W-40), A3/B4-04 (10W-60) specifications
    Meets or exceeds the requirements for Ferrari and Maserati approval (5W-40, 10W-60), approvals pending for
    MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, Porsche, VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 (5W-40).
    Meets or exceeds JASO SG+ (5W-40)
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by Cam 2 spec sheets

CAM2 Synavex Motor Oils meet or exceed the following performance levels:
    • API SM, SL, SJ, SH, SG, SF, SE, SD or SC
    • MIL L 46152D
    • GM 6094M
    • Ford M2C153H, M2C930-A(5W-20), and M2C929-A(5W-30)
    DaimlerChrysler MS10797 (5W-20), 10796 (5W-30), 10798 (10W-30), and MS6395M

I’m confident there would be no room for discussion/interpretation concerning a warranty claim if any of the last 3 were used. I know where to buy Cam 2. I don't recall having seen Kendall around in years though.

NY450ES - I'm sorry I caused your thread to get so far OT

it's alright slowgt...not worried about amsoil's motor oil specs. i've used their motor oil in my atv and jeep without any problems for many miles. started using the 0-20w in the hemi after 5k. just scared to put the PS fluid in the hemi in case it needs hydraulic fluid instead.
    09 Overland

Quote Originally Posted by NY450ES View Post
    slowgt...any word from amsoil?
    Here's the reply to my original inquiry:

Quote Originally Posted by Amsoil Tech Dept

Jared,

For products like the Long Life oils that the XLM is part of, the label says it is recommended for any of the listed specifications. The reason for this is that this line of oils are API certified (it has the API starburst symbol indicating this) and so it has been certified to meet the listed specifications and therefore the label can carry that distinction by stating that it meets these listed specifications.

As for our other oils, though they have been formulated to meet or exceed various oil specifications, they are not API certified and so the labeling reflects that by stating that the oil is formulated to meet or exceed particular oil specifications. AMSOIL does not API certify all of our oils on purpose. Once an oil is API certified, it is locked in place and you can no longer change the formulation without relabeling and recertifying. For most of our products, AMSOIL reserves the rights to change our formulations as new additives or technology becomes available, thereby keeping our products at the forefront of performance requirements while still either meeting or exceeding the formulation requirements of the oil specifications we recommend them for. When we recommend a fluid for a particular application, you can have the assurance that it is formulated to meet or exceed that particular applications oil requirements and the ASTM test results we list for all of our oils on our AMSOIL website will support any such recommendations.

As for warranty, a dealership may refuse OEM warranty coverage if they find that our oils are the cause of an engine issue. As a consumer you are protected under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, but it may involve showing that the oil is not the cause of a failure/issue before a dealership will extend warranty. Though they are the party that is suppose to show that the oil is indeed the cause of an issue rather than just arbitrarily denying warranty, this is often not the case and you can be assured that if you experience a problem with an AMSOIL product we will step forward and help you test the product being blamed to determine if it is indeed the cause of the issue or not. If it is not, AMSOIL will provide you with the documentation to show that it is not, then the dealership needs to extend their warranty and offer coverage. If it is the AMSOIL product and it is at fault, then our own warranty will step in and take coverage.

Thank you,

Aaron N. Anderson

AMSOIL Technical Services
    I always thought the API cert covered the necessary OEM specifications. Apparently Amsoil's thinking that way too. So I would interpret this to mean that any oil that rightfully displays the 'API SM/energy conserving' starburst meets the MS-6395 specification. If that's not a true statement, please show me (via links or other appropriate documentaion) so I can get this 'meets specifications' nonsense figured out before it's time for an oil change. Thanks.

Per the Amsoil Power Steering fluid.

I bought a case last year. I use the Turkey baster method and freshen the fluid up a couple times a year. Prior to the Amsoil I used the Valvoline Synpower stuff semi synthetic since Amsoil did not offer any.

I have run the Amsoil PSF in my 02 WJ for over a year with no issues. I am thankful they have added some new fluids for these type of applications.

For the record I am not a dealer but have used their product since 1978, in every car. I am more conservative on the drain intervals but the products work as advertised.
    Mr Turbo

86 TurbozCS 2.2 T2 +20's GLHS STG2 A555
    89 Shadow ES Turbo 2.5T2 +20's 20PSI
    90 Daytona ES Turbo
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    00 Durango 5.9 SLT+
    02 WJ Laredo 4.7 NV242
    03 PTGT 5 spd Mopar Stg1
    69 1/2 Road Runner 440+6
    06 PT GT Convertible 5 spd
    06 PT Convertible

Mopar or No Car!