Thread: Burning smell f/front end? Don't think it's the brakes

Registered

Default Burning smell f/front end? Don't think it's the brakes

OK... so my wife's '03 Libby has been producing this burning smell f/what appears to be the front drivers side. It has the smell of overheating brakes.

This weekend I changed out the front rotors and pads. The calipers looked good, no leaks and rubber all around the pistol looks in good shape. I did not change out the fluid, but after doing the brakes and taking it for a test... I noticed smoke coming f/the front drivers side wheel well. My guess is that it's the oil coating that was on the rotors as they were new. I cleaned them off w/ lots of brake cleaner, but I know there is more oil coating the inside of the rotors, near the veins... and that should all burn off.

After driving it around on the weekend that smell is still there after you park the KJ.

The brakes are better now, but is there something else that could be causing this burning/burnt smell. It almost has an electrical smell, but I can't find anything. Everything is working fine... so I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions as to where to look next?

Thanks.
    '96 Jeep Cherokee Country 4x4... APN header, Rusty's Series 50 flowmaster, etc...

'97 Mustang Cobra.... not stock ... SOLD 5/8/04 Gone but not forgotten

Registered

did you figutre this out? I have same issue with my 02
    its annoying and the smell is quite strong...but sporadic

and my brakes are new all round
    Slim
    now have '02 Liberty Ltd Patriot Blue
    319,742 km's and keeps on tickin'

** WRECKED FEB 2005***
    2003 Liberty LTD 4WD Black
    27G Pkg
    Chrome Wheel Pkg, Sunroof, Tow Pkg,
    Leather, Selec-Trac (sorry-no skid plates)
    MOPAR - slush mats
    MOPAR - rear deflector
    MOPAR - molded splash guards

Registered

I believe so. I found an oil leak coming f the Passenger side Valve Cover. Replaced the gasket and took care of that issue. Having other issues, but no oil leaks.
    '96 Jeep Cherokee Country 4x4... APN header, Rusty's Series 50 flowmaster, etc...

'97 Mustang Cobra.... not stock ... SOLD 5/8/04 Gone but not forgotten