Thread: Need a ZJ headliner quick fix

Hatfield, Pennsylvania a.k.a. the "Home of the Smiling Porker"

Icon928 Need a ZJ headliner quick fix

Hello everyone. I have done extensive searching on this website (and others) about how to fix the saggy headliner that Chryslers from the 80s and 90s suffer from. Many of the solutions I've come across here involve replacing the whole headliner. While they are great solutions, and I would like to replace my headliner, I do not wish to tackle something like that at this point in time. I have to sink my money into other Jeep repairs (among other things) before the ol' headliner. I know this has been discussed here before, but I can't find much on a quick fix for it, only a full revamp.

I need something simple to make it look better. It's not sagging too bad in my 95 ZJ, so I think a full replace is something for the nearing future. But for now, I just need something to adhere it back to the backing board. And the simpler, the better. I have read that some people just use tacks or staples and such, and I was wondering if someone could recommend what kind to use. Also, adhesives would be a good solution, too, if there are any that can do the temporary job well. Suggestions for adhesives would be great, too. And please, keep it clean. :wink:

So, I hope you get the picture. Sorry for the longish post. I think I used as many words as possible to ask that question. Thanks very much, and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    1995 ZJ Limited. Black. 4.0L. 4WD Quadra-Trac (249).
    Pees oil out the rear main seal, but it's not too bad... yet...
    Nearly all original and stock. 218,xxx miles. Alpine premium sound.

Brother's: 2002 WJ Limited. Loaded (with problems). Only 66,000 miles. Go figure.

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

Um did you never hear of spray adhesive? comes in a can, works like a beast

Hatfield, Pennsylvania a.k.a. the "Home of the Smiling Porker"

Quote Originally Posted by gotgohan View Post
    Um did you never hear of spray adhesive? comes in a can, works like a beast
    Thank you! Yes, I have heard of spray adhesive. But a lot of what I read explained how some types worked better than others, where as some did not work at all. I read about people using some of the stuff, only to wake up the next day and have it sagging down again. Since it is cheap, I guess it's worth a shot, even if I'm not sure whether it will work well or not. Is there a specific type that you know of that works best? Thanks again!
    1995 ZJ Limited. Black. 4.0L. 4WD Quadra-Trac (249).
    Pees oil out the rear main seal, but it's not too bad... yet...
    Nearly all original and stock. 218,xxx miles. Alpine premium sound.

Brother's: 2002 WJ Limited. Loaded (with problems). Only 66,000 miles. Go figure.

Spray adhesive, even that marketed as for headliners, didn't do jack for mine. The only things keeping it off my head right now are staples, and they don't stay in there all that long, either.

Registered

Permatex Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive. Comes in a big orange can and is around $12. Worked great for a headliner issue I had in my wife's car, just follow the directions.
    '04 Grand Cherokee Overland, 4.7 HO, Quadradrive, Dynomax Ultra Flow SS Muffler, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ACP04OL View Post
    Permatex Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive. Comes in a big orange can and is around $12. Worked great for a headliner issue I had in my wife's car, just follow the directions.
    ^ thats exactly what I used except not permatex called something else for me

Registered

My $0.02:

If thumb tacks are too -tacky-, I've come across some spiral thread type thingies with a clear plastic head. Perhaps a call to an automotive upholstery shop can help?
    BrianD_OH

Audio/Offroad Enthusiast

Why don't you just get the adhesive and try it..?