Thread: Should I go with a 2 or 3 inch lift?

Default Should I go with a 2 or 3 inch lift?

I've been looking at different lift kits and right now I'm trying to decide between a 2" kit like this:
    http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=6970

or a 3" kit like this:
    http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-W_3LK

I'm lifting for a couple of reasons: Improved looks, ability to fit 31" tires and somewhat better offroad performance. This vehicle will by FAR see most of it's use on-road as a daily driver and as a boat tower. However, we do like to do Jeep Jamborees, but would keep it to the lower rated trails. I seem to recall reading somewhere that going bigger than a 2" lift really requires more than just the lift kit to retain on-road ride quality. Is this the case? If going more than 2" is any more of a hassle than just doing 2 I'll probably just do 2. I keep reading about death wobble too. What exactly is this and is it more likely to occur with a 3" over a 2"?

Registered

Between the two, I'd go with the 3" lift. I've seen pics of WJ's with this kit, they look REALLY good at this height. As far as completeness, it looks complete. It's got a new track bar for the front and longer swaybar links, you shouldn't need anything else. Contral arms or longer brake lines aren't needed at 3".

But for what you're looking for, I'd say a 2" lift will suit your needs, with a 245/75/16 tire.

I ran that combo on my ZJ for a few years, and it made it look and perform noticeably better, while not really having any drawbacks on road.

But I wouldn't go with that 2" kit you linked. There's no need to spend that much to go 2", you can just get coil spacers to do a Budget Boost (or BB in Jeep-speak), for about a hundred bucks or so. And at that height, you don't need to adress your front track bar or even get longer shocks. The stockers will work fine at that height.

If you DO have $400 in the budget to go 2", then what I would do is get the spacers, and spend the rest of the money on a good shock like a Bilstein. Those two kits you mentioned both come with crap shocks (most shocks included with lift kits are just basic, cheap shocks. You have to pay more to upgrade to something better). Money spent on good shocks will be rewarded with a better ride and handling than stock.
    '97 ZJ TSi 4.0L/Q-Trac
    Mopar skids and hooks, KOR Sliders
    3" Rancho springs, Black Diamond AT shocks
    JKS/IRO track bars, 31" Goodyear Duratracs
    Rear Lock-Right

2000 Firebird Formula

Thanks Mike, with either kit I was planning on upgrading the shocks (Skyjackers with the 4WD kit) or the DT8000 with the IRO kit. The small difference in price is why I was thinking maybe the 3" kit instead of the 2" but I wanted to avoid any major hassles.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post
    Thanks Mike, with either kit I was planning on upgrading the shocks (Skyjackers with the 4WD kit) or the DT8000 with the IRO kit. The small difference in price is why I was thinking maybe the 3" kit instead of the 2" but I wanted to avoid any major hassles.
    Even those "upgraded" shocks really aren't that great. I ran DT8000's, and while they're a good shock offroad, be aware that they're very stiff.

To get a really good shock, you're going to want to look at Bilsteins, Old Man Emu, or Pro-Comp MX-6 adjustables.
    '97 ZJ TSi 4.0L/Q-Trac
    Rear Lock-Right

2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post
    Even those "upgraded" shocks really aren't that great. I ran DT8000's, and while they're a good shock offroad, be aware that they're very stiff.

To get a really good shock, you're going to want to look at Bilsteins, Old Man Emu, or Pro-Comp MX-6 adjustables.
    Interesting. Thanks for that info.

I'll second the STIFF fot the DT shock's!!! On my 5.9 I had 2.25" Coil Spring Spacers on for a couple of years with Firestone Destination AT's 265/70-16 http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7620884032909/ and it was my DD most of the time on the road. And it did supriseingly good offroad with just the 2.25" lift and tires. I only went up to 3" because I got a set of 4 Skyjacker 3" Springs in the For Sale section for $160, and that is where I am at now with 265/75-16's http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7620884032909/ Oh and I would also look at the Bilsteins http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index....cted_year=1995
    Last edited by TX59GRAND; 02-26-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    1998 White 5.9 Grand Cherokee Limited, 3inch Skyjacker Springs, Doetsch Tech Shocks, Kevins Offroad Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconects, Summit Mud Dawg tires 235/85-16, Lincoln Mark VIII 18" radiator fan http://www.flickr.com/photos/4010925...7620884032909/

im running IRO's 3" with bilsteins. It rides better now on the road than it did stock!! do the 3" IRO and spend the cash on the good shocks, you wont be sorry.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L 90k
    3" IRO lift + 1" pucks, Bilstein 5100's, IRO adjustable A-Arm, dual stabilizers, IRO Track bar drop and Drop pitman, IRO Adjustable lowers, Rusty's Adjustable uppers, sitting on 265/70R/17's, Rear Addco SwayBar, 17" MOABS, K&N FIPK2, Poweraid TB spacer, Superchips Flashpack

Registered

Icon922

Here's my 04 with 245/75R16 BFG KM2's. Sits on a KOR 2.75" lift, which measures almost exactly 2.75" in front and a little over 3" in the rear. Just so you can get a perspective on it. This is right after the lift and it has settled in a bit. Also, I'm running MX-6 shocks, which I'm glad I got because dialing in the stiffness has been key to controlling the sway (new rear sway bar coming soon). I'm also putting on wheel spacers to widen the track some. I think Mustang has one of the nicest WJ's on here, so I'd take his advice if you like it.

2004 WJ Laredo 4.7L - 2.75 KOR lift, QTII, BFG KM2's 245/75R16's on OEM Silverblade1 wheels, 4.10 gears, Front Detroit True-trac, Rear Vari-Lok, Addco Sway Bars, spidertrax wheel spacers, IRO Budget Rocksliders ||
    1990 "Roach" XJ, 2" BB, wheel spacers, 30" Dunlop Mud Rovers
    1996 XJ 4.0L 4.5" RE Lift, 32's, Banks header, Detroit True-trac, (SOLD)
    1989 YJ 4.2L 2.5" Rancho Lift, 32's, AX-15 Transmission (SOLD).

Thanks for the compliment Planetcat! Yours sits pretty too! How do those tires ride/wear? Here are a few pictures of mine if you want to take a gander.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    3" IRO lift + 1" pucks, Bilstein 5100's, IRO adjustable A-Arm, dual stabilizers, IRO Track bar drop and Drop pitman, IRO Adjustable lowers, Rusty's Adjustable uppers, sitting on 265/70R/17's, Rear Addco SwayBar, 17" MOABS, K&N FIPK2, Poweraid TB spacer, Superchips Flashpack

Registered

Icon922

Quote Originally Posted by mustangbd24 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment Planetcat! Yours sits pretty too! How do those tires ride/wear? Here are a few pictures of mine if you want to take a gander.
    Nice pics. I'm a sucker for that metalic dark blue. Same color as my Dodge 2500 and my old XJ. Anyways, the tires have only been on for a week. Going to the snow next weekend and I'm sure they'll be great. Also getting my 4.10's and True-trac installed before the trip. It's my DD, and they handle really well on pavement, but they are noisy. Probably as much as my old 32" MT/R's on my XJ. The only benefit is that the WJ is so well insulated, the road noise isn't as bothersome inside. I think my next set will be some 265 A/T's.
    2004 WJ Laredo 4.7L - 2.75 KOR lift, QTII, BFG KM2's 245/75R16's on OEM Silverblade1 wheels, 4.10 gears, Front Detroit True-trac, Rear Vari-Lok, Addco Sway Bars, spidertrax wheel spacers, IRO Budget Rocksliders ||
    1990 "Roach" XJ, 2" BB, wheel spacers, 30" Dunlop Mud Rovers
    1996 XJ 4.0L 4.5" RE Lift, 32's, Banks header, Detroit True-trac, (SOLD)
    1989 YJ 4.2L 2.5" Rancho Lift, 32's, AX-15 Transmission (SOLD).

Just my opinion and something else to look into. If your going to be towing alot, and want some good on road manners I would look into get some HD OME (old man emu) springs (will net you around 2-2.5") and some quality shocks such as bilsteins or MX-6, or OME as suggested above. That should give you enough lift (depending on which tire you choose) to fit 31"s. With the stiffer springs it should help you tow your boat much smoother, add a addco rear sway bar and you should have a nice light duty tow righ with some decent trail ability.

Here is a quick snap of mine with just a 2"bb and 245/70/17 AT2's (great tire):

Last edited by skubasteve!; 02-27-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    *2004 WJ "Columbia Edition"
    4.7HO. QT-II. NV247. 245/70/17 General Grabbers 15% tint.
    HIR low beams. Rogue Graphite wheels. Full 3"Magnaflow/Kolak exhaust.
    Rancho SS. 2" BB. BDS 5500 Shocks.
    AstroStart RSS-2514XR

Quote Originally Posted by mustangbd24 View Post
    im running IRO's 3" with bilsteins. It rides better now on the road than it did stock!! do the 3" IRO and spend the cash on the good shocks, you wont be sorry.
    In your sig it lists 'dual stabilizers'. Is this something you had to add because you were having issues after the 3" lift?

He mentioned that he doesn't need it, but he wants to mask any hint of death wobble he possible could
    I <3 my OME... stuff in a 94 ZJ

Quote Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post
    In your sig it lists 'dual stabilizers'. Is this something you had to add because you were having issues after the 3" lift?
    I did this as a preventative measure.

Quote Originally Posted by rodd88 View Post
    He mentioned that he doesn't need it, but he wants to mask any hint of death wobble he possible could
    Not "mask" i just didnt want any issues so i prung for the extra couple of bucks.

Hehehe sorry
    I <3 my OME... stuff in a 94 ZJ

NP, just clarifying. That is one thing i can honestly say i dont do, No masking for me. I just fix what needs to be fixed. I drive backroads too that are sometimes less than prestine. I also wanted the extra control from the second stabilizer.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
    Nice pics. I'm a sucker for that metalic dark blue.
    I agree. It's a basic build, but that color is just so drool-worthy it's one of my favorites on here too.
    '97 ZJ TSi 4.0L/Q-Trac
    Rear Lock-Right

2000 Firebird Formula

In case you guys were wondering, it is called Midnight Blue Pearl.