Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best 33" Tires for the Money

Jeep Build Procrastinator shiftclick's Avatar

Icon920 Best 33" Tires for the Money

Since the threads I start seem to catch fire pretty quickly...

My next "big" purchase is a winch or 33" tires. Since i'm leaning towards tires (mud/snow makes me want a lil bigger), my buds and guts tell me that 33" BFG MTs are the perfect upgrade from my 2 year old 31" BFG ATs, but, what would you buy? Why? Where? Will they fit grizzly's? and What do you have now? (oh, and 35's or bigger are WAY too big for my DD so let's keep it at 33")...

TIA boys!
    Shiftclick
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
    Currently in between Jeeps

1989 YJ - Hers - Sold
    1991 YJ - His - Sold
    1995 YJ Renegade - Hers - Sold
    1998 XJ - His Sold
    2001 WK - Hers Sold
    2002 TJ - His Sold
    2010 XK - Hers - LTD, Hemi, D44, QTII

im new to this forum but i have recomended Cooper Discoverer STT's on JF numerous times. i've got about 20K miles on mine and they are still in excellent shape. people claim to get close to 60K out of them. they have prooved themselves on the trails, mud, rocks, snow, and street. price was great too(about $1000 for 5 tires mounted). definitely take a look.

Jeep Build Procrastinator shiftclick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rubba duck View Post
    im new to this forum but i have recomended Cooper Discoverer STT's on JF numerous times. i've got about 20K miles on mine and they are still in excellent shape. people claim to get close to 60K out of them. they have prooved themselves on the trails, mud, rocks, snow, and street. price was great too(about $1000 for 5 tires mounted). definitely take a look.
    I was just watching a Youtube vid on those. So, explain the grand quote though. For instance, if I buy 33" BFG MT's from Sams Club, i'm looking at around $150 per tire + $70 for mounting. Why $1,000?

Thanks for the quick response btw! I'm in a hotel out of town on biz and am looking for something to do! (I miss my Jeep - left her there at the airport with 5 inches of fresh snow on the ground!)...
    Shiftclick
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
    Currently in between Jeeps

1989 YJ - Hers - Sold
    1991 YJ - His - Sold
    1995 YJ Renegade - Hers - Sold
    1998 XJ - His Sold
    2001 WK - Hers Sold
    2002 TJ - His Sold
    2010 XK - Hers - LTD, Hemi, D44, QTII

Quote Originally Posted by shiftclick View Post
    So, explain the grand quote though. For instance, if I buy 33" BFG MT's from Sams Club, i'm looking at around $150 per tire + $70 for mounting. Why $1,000?
    $150 X 5 = $750 (if that price ir accurate) add in tax, mount/balance, misc other fees and your not too far from $1K.

Registered

Goodyear Kevlar MT/R.

I haven't tested them in the mud yet but they are as quiet as my old Toyo MTs on the highway, and 20 lbs. less weight per tire.
    01' Wrangler 4.0
    Toys X Troy bumpers, rocker guards
    Clayton 5.5 long-arm
    35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar
    Super 8.8 rearend w/ 4.56s and E-locker.
    Auburn selectable in the front.

Registered

I have Cooper STT's myself. They are good tires, I'l have to see how they go down in the lower 48 before I decide what I'm going to run next. Leaning toward the new MT/R tho.

Registered

BF Goodrich Mud King XT's here. They have 55K+ on them and finally need replacing after 5yrs of good faithful service. I've done alot of hillclimbing for fun and they've saved my hindend from a long cold walk home in blizzards. Good tread pattern, decent ride, good tracking, no howl, ....what can I say. I'd like to have another set.

(I read at Summit where they are now "Medalist" brand)
    Last edited by Ryp; 02-23-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/RevRyp/2005-07-0100-01-22_0016-1.jpg'97 TJ Sahara, 2" RE BB, 33" Wrangler Duratracs, AR-767's, D30 LockRight, HiLift, and a compass in the glovebox.

Registered

I really like my Goodyear duratracs on my 1 ton ford. Quite and good traction in the rain. A few of my friends had the coopers and they didnt last for them. If you are wanting mud tires my vote would be the new MTR or the BFG KM2.

2001 TJ
    2.5 + 1 lift and 33s

I think 33"s will fit the "Grizzleys" however you may need to wheels spacers or they will rub your LCA's at full steer and depending on your lift they may rub your upper rear spring mounts, my 32"s rubbed with just a 2" BB.

Registered

Try Hankooks mts .Good ride on highway, great in mud & not bad in snow.Seams you can get a good deal on them.

Registered

My stock answer to that question will always be TSL bias.
    Unreal in the mud. And I have yet to have trouble in the snow. I call them my "all season" tires. I have no issues in wet rock either. Aired down to 11, they barely stretch the sidewalls, so you don't lose clearance like you do airing down radials. Not as much, for sure.

But, if you want to compare a bunch of different ones, I will attach a site I found a long time ago that you can look at a lot of different tires and see reviews of them all in one place.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...d_Terrains.htm

Hope this helps. I still say TSL.......

Bob
    2000 Sahara
    31x10.5 TSL bias, 2" RE bb, PJ gas tank skid, Warn engine skid, JKS "quicker" discos, Smittybilt xrc8, Smittybilt SRC Classic bumper (front installed, rear in basement still)

www.exploringnh.com
    www.vtoffroad.com
    www.performanceunlim.com
    www.wildnh.com/maps/topo.html
    http://www.aot.state.vt.us/planning/...town_maps1.htm

I have BFG KM2's 33X12.50 and I love them! Low on road noise, when you drive off from the garage after you get them installed you'll definitely notice the different tone in your tires compared to your 31's but after that you get use to it and it really isn't an issue. They aren't the cheapest tire but when it comes to wheeling I wouldn't want to be stuck or break something because I wanted to save a couple bucks on a cheap-o tire. Good luck with your decision!
    2004 TJ X: Auto, Ford 8.8 ARB, Spartan Locker, TeraLow, Tera2Low, Currie HD steering linkage, Currie Anit-Rock, UCF Extra Clearance skid, UCF Engine skid, AA SYE, Woody Front and Rear custom DS, 33x12.50 KM2's on 15x8 Black Rocks. JKS 1.25" Body Lift. JKS MML Lift. JKS adj. lower and uppers in the rear. IPF Headlights and fogs. Rusty's 3" Springs. VIAIR OBA. Xenon 4" flares, Superwinch EPi 9.0. Smittybilt XRC bumper/carrier.

PATRIOT

I also have the duratracs on my XJ. See pics of them in my albums. They do fine. Not a true mud tire but have plenty of traction in the slick stuff and are great on the road. Very quiet also and they look great. I had the BFG's MTs, too, and they were way too loud after they wore just a little bit. For a DD I'd deffinitely go with something like an agressive AT type like the duratracs. I was skeptical at first but I really love mine.
    ...a chicken...I'd slap a chicken...

1999 Cherokee 4 door, I6 AW4 242 8.25 the TOY
    1995 Cherokee 4 door, I6 AX15 231 8.25 the PROJECT?
    2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, I6 242 SOLD (missed)
    1999 Cherokee 4 door, I6 AW4 242, Limited-Parts House

Registered

Registered

I've been running a set of BFG MT KM's for close to 6 years and 50K+ miles. The reason I went with BFG is their longevity and they made a 33x10.50"x15, which most other manufacturers do not. The 10.50" width works well on a narrower (stock) wheels, causes less rubbing requiring shorter bump stops allowing more upward suspension travel and has less rolling resistance on the road giving better gas mileage.
    01 TJ

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by 99XJFLA View Post
    .... and has less rolling resistance on the road giving better gas mileage.
    I've decided to calculate footage instead. 68640 feet to the gallon sounds better than 13 mpg.

Bob
    2000 Sahara
    31x10.5 TSL bias, 2" RE bb, PJ gas tank skid, Warn engine skid, JKS "quicker" discos, Smittybilt xrc8, Smittybilt SRC Classic bumper (front installed, rear in basement still)

www.exploringnh.com
    www.vtoffroad.com
    www.performanceunlim.com
    www.wildnh.com/maps/topo.html
    http://www.aot.state.vt.us/planning/...town_maps1.htm

Well I figure I will throw in my tire experience...

Currently I have 33X13.50X15 Swamper LTB's off road, they are amazing! That is compared to my last set of tires which were BFG MT KM's. Which was also an excellent tire, and if you are looking for something streetable with great off road performance I would recommend the BFG MT's however it may be hard to find those now, at least they are on back order in my area KM2's are easy to find though...

I had 50K miles on my BFG's and probably had 10K more but they started to dry rot, so had to replace them.

As far as snow goes, I can offer no advice about either tire as I live in Florida!

I will say stay far away from Kuhmo MT's (sp?) friend of mine had them and they lasted about 15K miles and didn't do to well off road.
    Vehicles:
    2003 TJ 4 popper... (Trail Rig)
    2010 F350 CC LB Harley Davidson (Tow Rig)

Quote Originally Posted by guyintx View Post
    I really like my Goodyear duratracs on my 1 ton ford. Quite and good traction in the rain. A few of my friends had the coopers and they didnt last for them. If you are wanting mud tires my vote would be the new MTR or the BFG KM2.
    I have 33 inch Duratracs on my TJ and like them!!!!

x2 for the Goodyear Kevlar MT/R. - great all-round tire. Switched to the kevlars 4 months ago when i got rid of my Swamper SSRs. The Swampers were great tires, but the Goodyears are far better on the road.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '05 LJ - Teraflex lift - 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs - yada yada -

I would look at the Mickey Thompson MTZs, the new Trail Grappler MT from Nitto and the BFG KM2s in that order. My MTs have been excellent in sand, loose dirt, mud and snow. No complaints here and I'll put another set on when these are done.
    98 TJ Sahara 5.7 Hemi,545RFE,G2 D44 w/4.10s,HP30,ARBs, RE 4.5 LA, JB Conversions HD231, 35in MTRs w/ Pro Comp wheels,SmittyBilt XRC8 w/ Amsteel,Superlift rear spring relocaters,LED tail lites, LoD bumpers and tire carrier, Rampage top, Premier Power welder,a few other minor things.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast