Thread: Air pressure gauge for ARB compressor?

www.DailyDrivenTJ.com Michael_K's Avatar
    Atlanta, GA Charlotte, NC Fort Mill, SC Phila., PA Boston, MA

Default Air pressure gauge for ARB compressor?

Hey guys,

I don't have much understanding of air fittings and their standards.

Anyone know of the thread size/type, T fitting or some sort that will mount to ARB compressor's tiny tank and where I can get them?

TIA,

Michael K.

I figured out from the installation guide. (duh).. 1/8" BSPT
    Last edited by Michael_K; 02-14-2010 at 12:43 AM.
    DailyDrivenTJ.com
    Mod Write Ups & Forums
    JUST For Jeep TJ Owners Around the World!!

Some comments from one of the write-ups on my site regarding the ARB fittings.....

It should be noted here that the ARB solenoids do NOT use a common 1/8" NPT fitting but rather a 1/8" BSPT fitting. The major difference between the two is that one has a thread count of 27 TPI while the other is 28 TPI. Depending on who you talk to, some say you can put a regular 1/8" NPT into the BSPT tapped hole and there won't be any problems while others say it will leak. When MikeW was making his manifold, he opted to do it the conservative way and purchased a couple of 1/8" NPT to 1/8" BSPT fittings (male to male coupler) from McMaster-Carr's on-line catalog, just to be safe. I had him pick me up a couple at the same time and used them on my manifold. The ARB solenoids that were in the ARB compressor were removed and used in this manifold.
    Stu's '98TJ Sahara
    ARB Locked & Loaded
    www.stu-offroad.com

Might I ask why you need a gauge? I only ask because I would want to keep the number of joints to a minimum to reduce leaking.

With my setup, the tank will remain above the low pressure cut on for 2 weeks or more if not cycled... No gauge.
    '02 Black Sahara, AW4, 4" Teraflex, Gen 2 lowers & flex uppers, JKS 1.25" BL, Teraflex trackbars, 35" MTR Tera low 4:1, AA SYE, TW DS, Tera 2 low, AtoZ fab Rockers, Tomkin Gas tank skid, Crane/Rockcrusher Diff Cover, CO2, Warn 8274-50, 4.56's d30 + d44 ARB, superior, Flowmaster, 15lbs CO2, HID's

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaulThompson View Post
    Might I ask why you need a gauge? I only ask because I would want to keep the number of joints to a minimum to reduce leaking.

With my setup, the tank will remain above the low pressure cut on for 2 weeks or more if not cycled... No gauge.
    I've got this:

Tied into this ARB compressor that I use as a back-up:

It's kinda nice to see the system psi and know if the air pressure is dropping below the needed 75 psi for my ARB's.
    My gauge is in the steering console panel, I like having the gauge.

Properly installed air lines work well. I've had this setup for 5 years without problems. I can run all day on the trail when starting with 130 psi in the Puma tank with output regulated at 100 psi, without the compressor kicking in. But if the ARB compressor kicks in, I know the Puma has a problem because the Puma is set for 100 psi start up. If that happens, I look at the gauge and if it's below 100 psi, I know I have an issue with the Puma...
    Last edited by Knuckelhead; 02-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    "Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

Knucklehead read my mind. It is for diagnostic purpose.

Now, can I run like 2 gal air tank with ARB compressor?
    DailyDrivenTJ.com
    Mod Write Ups & Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_K View Post
    Knucklehead read my mind. It is for diagnostic purpose.

Yes you can. But it will take a long time for the ARB compressor to fill it. Thats why I like the Puma (100% duty cycle rated). 3 CFM at 90 psi. I use it to fill my 35x12.5 tires (0ne tire at a time) from 10 psi to 30 psi in less than 3 minutes...
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

Where did you find all the fittings and such? McMasterCarr?
    DailyDrivenTJ.com
    Mod Write Ups & Forums

Here:http://web.userinstinct.com/8572778-...bearing-co.htm
    That's in my neck of the woods...
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

If you have the new compact ARB compressor like I do... I wouldn't hook it up to any other tanks other then the one that came with it. It isn't designed to run that long.

The other more expensive compressor maybe (the big one)
    '02 Black Sahara, AW4, 4" Teraflex, Gen 2 lowers & flex uppers, JKS 1.25" BL, Teraflex trackbars, 35" MTR Tera low 4:1, AA SYE, TW DS, Tera 2 low, AtoZ fab Rockers, Tomkin Gas tank skid, Crane/Rockcrusher Diff Cover, CO2, Warn 8274-50, 4.56's d30 + d44 ARB, superior, Flowmaster, 15lbs CO2, HID's

Jay,
    I have the ARB pump that is not the "compact" version. They make compact version and the regular version.

Do you specifically mean "compact" version? or do you mean ARB pump in general that I shouldn't be running a tank off of it?
    DailyDrivenTJ.com
    Mod Write Ups & Forums

Do a hard search on here also. You may be surprised as to what you find (ARB replacement valves for $17)...
    http://www.macvalves.co.nz/distributors.html
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

Jay,
    I have the ARB pump that is not the "compact" version. They make compact version and the regular version.

Do you specifically mean "compact" version? or do you mean ARB pump in general that I shouldn't be running a tank off of it?
    The compact version pump is designed for low volume, and not 100% duty cycle, or even close to it...

The Bigger version, I have heard of people filling tires with them, so they can handle more volume and are a higher duty cycle then the compact version.

I can not answer if it is safe to use a large tank with either version ARB compressor, but for sure I would not with the compact version (the one I have).

ARB does advertise and make a kit for fitting hoses for filling tires for the larger compressor. The compact version was supposedly designed to run the lockers only and is marketed so.

I just wanted to check if there were obvious contraindications for using it with air tank. I won't be running a shop off of the tank, maybe occasional filling up tires and such..
    DailyDrivenTJ.com
    Mod Write Ups & Forums