Thread: Rear end noise

Default Rear end noise

My brother broke his jeep again.
    It's a 99 wrangler 4.0 lifted 4" on 33's.
    No slip yoke elim and no transfer case drop.

He was coming home from work and it starter making a really loud banging noise in the rear end when he was going up a hill.
    Now anytime he tries to go it makes the banging noise and you can see the rear end moving alot.

I'm not a wrangler person and he wasnt til a few months ago, so any help would be great.
    Thanks

Dana 35?

What do you mean, moving alot? Maybe a broken axle trying to escape?
    05’ Blue TJ Rubi (auto) / RE 3.5 Super-Flex / Bilstein 5100’s / Anti-Rock / JKS BL & MML / 33x13.5 Toyo MT / 15x10 Eagles / Jeeperman Skidz / Skid Row Engine Skid / MileMarker Winch / RockHard Front and ProComp Rear Bumpers / SentryKey+Ravelco / CO2 Tank / CB+HAM / Centramatic balancers

92' YJ -Lifted, locked, and sold...

Quote Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
    Dana 35?

What do you mean, moving alot? Maybe a broken axle trying to escape?
    It's almost like it's trying to spin with them wheels or something.
    He wasnt trying to escape anything, he was just driving down the road.

And yes I believe its Dana 35 rear end..

How can we know what the banging sound is? Just unbolt the cover off the diff and see if any metal is at the bottom. That will tell you a lot and we can go from there.
    Toy: 01 TJ 4.0L, Auto, Currie HP 9 w/ detroit, 4.56's, 36" TSL radials, RE 3.5 SF, Fenders cut to chit, RE Hack n Tap w/ a Woody

I have to work all day today and unfortunately my brother isnt very mechanically inclined.
    He did say it was making a whining noise alot when he was driving and he had a garage check it out. The guy told him all he could hear was some tcase noise and that he should get a slip yoke.

Right before this happened he called me and wanted to take me for a ride to listen to this whining noise because it was getting worse...About 20 minutes later he called me to pick him up cuz it broke.

Oh and just to be sure, the tcase I would wanna buy is the np231 correct?

Sound like the d35 is making silver mercury! LOL!

dont say that.

Oh and this is happening in 2wd and 4wd.

Quote Originally Posted by mverne View Post
    It's almost like it's trying to spin with them wheels or something.
    He wasnt trying to escape anything, he was just driving down the road.

And yes I believe its Dana 35 rear end..
    Sorry, by escape I meant is one of the axle shafts is broken and trying to work it's way out (escape) of the axle housing. On a D35 this is a common occurance - one does not have to be off-roading or heavily using the Jeep for it to happen, any kind of a shock load can do it. When it occurs parts internal to the gear housing can also be damaged.
    05’ Blue TJ Rubi (auto) / RE 3.5 Super-Flex / Bilstein 5100’s / Anti-Rock / JKS BL & MML / 33x13.5 Toyo MT / 15x10 Eagles / Jeeperman Skidz / Skid Row Engine Skid / MileMarker Winch / RockHard Front and ProComp Rear Bumpers / SentryKey+Ravelco / CO2 Tank / CB+HAM / Centramatic balancers

92' YJ -Lifted, locked, and sold...

dont say that.
    With a D35 and big tires it's a given! Next thing you need to do is open up that D35 diff and look for damage.

Pull the rear diff cover and have a look when you get home. Everything we post is speculation until you look and confirm or rule out possible causes.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Smile

I have to work all day today and unfortunately my brother isnt very mechanically inclined.
    He did say it was making a whining noise alot when he was driving and he had a garage check it out. The guy told him all he could hear was some tcase noise and that he should get a slip yoke.

Right before this happened he called me and wanted to take me for a ride to listen to this whining noise because it was getting worse...About 20 minutes later he called me to pick him up cuz it broke.
    all you need to know is how to operate a socket set and a ratchet. that is the only tools you need to take a diff. cover off. no skills are required.
    2000 XJ Sport 4x4. Silver with white fender. Titan 4.6L Stroker, 31" MT'S, 3" RC lift, JCR bumper

1997 TJ Sport. 4.0, 5 Speed, 4" Pro Comp lift, 17" Pro Comp Wheels, 35" Claws.