Thread: Asd relay making noise/skis indicator light on

Default Asd relay making noise/skis indicator light on

Hey guys,

So I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I-6 which was working perfectly find till last night. So last night, I went to Jack in the Box like at midnight and I noticed that my car kinda hesitated to start but I did make anything of it. I figured the positive or negative cable might have gotten loose on my battery, since the battery is less than a year old and still brand new, paid about $200 for it. So this morning when heading out to work, when I crank the vehicle to start, it started fine, but it turn off like if my battery had died, but not completely of course, since the inside lights would turn on and gauges. So I figured no, problem ill jump started it and check the battery at a local shop, but that’s when everything went down hill.

I notice that im getting my key symbol on my gauges Skis Indicator, like if its not recognazing my key and secondly i notice that the fuse box next to the battery was making a noise. I open it and the ASD relay is making a loud noise. It will turn over, but won't fire. The gauges and lights all come on, but show nothing. Shows I'm on empty, which I know there is a half tank.

Anyone have any idea how to repair this!!
    Thank you in Advance!!
    Last edited by Albertn83; 01-26-2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: its a 4.0L I-6, or "INLINE 6"

first of all, its a 4.0L I-6, or "INLINE 6"

Jeep grand cherokees didnt come with V6's until 2005.
    Past Jeeps:
    1998 Special Edition ZJ 4.0L Green
    1998 Special Editon ZJ 5.2L Triple Black
    1993 Limited 5.2L 344k miles POS white
    1988 Wrangler YJ 4.2L/242 transfer case/4" homebrew lift- Mixture of Brown, Red, and white.

Now: 1999 Mazda Protege ...I'll have another kewl car when I get out of college.

i think the first thing to do is check the battery voltage, make sure all your terminals are clean. try your second key. welcome to ju too!! sometimes you can find more information by searching
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

Quote Originally Posted by Albertn83 View Post
    Hey guys,

So I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0 I-6 which was working perfectly find till last night. So last night, I went to Jack in the Box like at midnight and I noticed that my car kinda hesitated to start but I did make anything of it. I figured the positive or negative cable might have gotten loose on my battery, since the battery is less than a year old and still brand new, paid about $200 for it. So this morning when heading out to work, when I crank the vehicle to start, it started fine, but it turn off like if my battery had died, but not completely of course, since the inside lights would turn on and gauges. So I figured no, problem ill jump started it and check the battery at a local shop, but that’s when everything went down hill.

I notice that im getting my key symbol on my gauges Skis Indicator, like if its not recognazing my key and secondly i notice that the fuse box next to the battery was making a noise. I open it and the ASD relay is making a loud noise. It will turn over, but won't fire. The gauges and lights all come on, but show nothing. Shows I'm on empty, which I know there is a half tank.

Anyone have any idea how to repair this!!
    Thank you in Advance!!
    I think you forgot to mention some important details, such as attempting to jumpstart with reversed polarity:

Connected Jumper Cables Wrong

I got the jumper cables and connected the neg. & posi. in the auto (ford focus 01) I was using to start my jeep, and please keep in mind that the battery was old as hell and there were no symbols or signs on the battery or cables stating which was the neg or posi. So when I went to connect the other end of the jumper cables to my jeep I connected the negative cable first and then when I try to connect the positive cable I notice something was wrong when it started MELTING my positive post. I was like oh $hittttt….i unplugged it with in a second or two and changed the jumper cables on the focus and connected it again on my battery, so it seem all good, I figured it would start on the 1st try right….lol, so when I tried cranking my jeep with would just cracking but it wont started now.

IM THINKING I MIGHT HAVE FRIED SOMETHING SINCE I CONNECTED JUMPER CABLES INCORRECTLY ON THE FOCUS BATTERY.

Does anyone have any idea if I might have burn a fuse out or killed my starter? Any ideas would help me out guys.
    1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 81300mi
    Running on 0W30 German Castrol since 75k
    Custom hard-wired Aux input to stock radio
    225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT
    Up Country Suspension
    Monroe Reflex Monotube Skocks
    Factory front Tow hooks
    To be installed: TC, gas factory skids
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    You should remember that some of the most opinionated and self proclaimed 'experts' on this board are really 16 years old and their “built' jeep is their yuppette soccer-mommy's totally factory stock vehicle complete with Baby On Board and Green Peace stickers that they only get to drive it to the library or mall on the weekend if all their homework is done and they've eaten all of their Brussel Sprouts and Lima Beans.