Thread: Need Help Wiring Meyer Plow lights on CJ!!!

Default Need Help Wiring Meyer Plow lights on CJ!!!

I sold my Western setup for my Jeep 2 years ago to retore my CJ and am now kicking myself in the a$$ that I did not hold onto it. I have recently picked up a 7' meyers Power angle and am mounting everythign myslef. I have no problems with wiring up the Pump Switch, but am confused as to where to tap all the colors from the new Toggle switch through the fire wall to the front Jeep lights and plow lights?? Can anyone Help? John ??

First do you want to do it the simple way but get poor light output or a better way but harder way and get more light output.

I did it the easy way and what a sloppy mess it turns out to be. And the lights are so so.

Which Meyer lights did you get? the Night Sabers??

This is the easy way with the cheap Plow lights:

You have to cut the wires going to the headlights (Grey+low, Grey with trace=High ). Then connect the wires coming from the fire wall to one set of wires. And the cut wires coming from the headlight sockets to another set of wires. I don't like doing this as I cut up a perfecty good harness. Then you have to splice in wires for the left turnsignal (Green with trace) and the right turn signal (Green). And then a wire for the running lights (White).

The hard way is to make up a harness and simply plug it in. But you have to make the harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, the 'Easy' way for me to wire snow plow lights was to unplug the connectors from the headlights and plug in jumpers from the snow plow lights...
    Just an 'Extension Cord' of sorts from the factory connectors to the snow plow lights.

(Factory lights only shine on the back of the blade anyhow and blind me!
    Unplugging them stops that 'Issue')

All you need is spade connectors and some wire and you are off to the races!

When you drop the blade, you simply disconnect your 'Extensions' from the factory connectors and plug them back into the factory head lights.

My head lights are on relays so there isn't a power drop issue, and that just seemed the 'Quick' way for me to get it done at the time.
    REMEMBER!
    Information you got for free off the internet is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
    ----------------
    I used to be TeamRush, but I'm much better with medication...

Dang, Never though of that. But your right. That is simpler. I never use my other lights either without the plow. I was just all caught up with the big blue switch didn't think of anything else.

Icon321

Quote Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius View Post
    John, the 'Easy' way for me to wire snow plow lights was to unplug the connectors from the headlights and plug in jumpers from the snow plow lights...
    Just an 'Extension Cord' of sorts from the factory connectors to the snow plow lights.

When you drop the blade, you simply disconnect your 'Extensions' from the factory connectors and plug them back into the factory head lights.

My head lights are on relays so there isn't a power drop issue, and that just seemed the 'Quick' way for me to get it done at the time.

WOW

Thanks for the help guys. I never thought of just doing that either with the stock lights. So far I have drilled a hole in my dash, placed my lights switch in it, hooked up my 6 wires, ran through the firewall and left them hanging near the factory run of wires to the front headlights( I have not spliced yet)

I have also made male and female connections to the factory Jeep( Spliced) front lights and on the Truck lite(CHeaper lights) on the plow setup. So what would you guys do at this point??

Here is a Word Doc of the way I was going to tap into everything. Is this right??
    Attached Files Attached Files

Depends if you want to use a switch or not.

First thing is to get one of these plugs:

9003/H4 Male Plug.
    http://www.innovativewiring.com/Part...tPartsPage.htm

It's a male plug to plug into your headlight socket. You can buy them with pigtails if you like up to 12 gauge wire.

A.
    If you choose NOT to use the plow light switch then all you have to do is to hook the plow light wires, Green and Red, up to this plug and you're done. When you turn on your headlights your plow lights will come on. And you can still use the floor dimmer to select High or low beams. Still need to plice into the Turn signal and parking lights.

B.
    If you want to use the switch then you will want to buy two (2ea.) of these:

http://www.innovativewiring.com/Part...tPartsPage.htm
    9003/H4 head light socket.

Connect the Blue and white wire to the 9003/H4 Male plug, This connects the dimmer switch to the toggle switch.
    Connect the Pink and brown wires to both of the 9003/H4 Headlight Socket you just bought. You will have to make a little harness to run to both your head lights but it's just 2 wires. Pretty simple. Then plug your headlight harness onto your headlights

Now your done with the headlights without cutting up your jeep headlight harness. You still have to splice into the Turn signals and parking lights Unless you want to do the same thing and buy a couple of plugs for the turn signals. Then you will never have to cut into your wiring harness on your jeeps.

C.
    Lastly is just to cut your harness but that leaves a mess. If you need info on that I can help you there also. basically it's best to make each cut a couple inches apart so you don't get a big nasty lump in the harness were you make the splice.

if you want a pictorial schematic of A or B let me know. The picture for C is already posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 Renegade View Post
    WOW

I have also made male and female connections to the factory Jeep( Spliced) front lights and on the Truck lite(CHeaper lights) on the plow setup. So what would you guys do at this point??
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, Can you take a picture? I also have the "Truck Lights" Plow lights setup and I didn't have any plugs.
    Did you just splice the wires together? Did you cut anything?

I'm trying to avoid any splices on anything that would corrode later on. When plowing, you kick up a lot of salt and it gets everywhere.

Never Never Never ever ever ever Connect the plow lights into thier plugs without using a lot of di-electric grease. Trust me on this I didn't once. Use the grease on all connections. even on you pump setup or you will be sitting on the side of the lot one day trying to splice your wires together because the plug corroded away. It only takes a few weeks to start seeing problems.

Thanks John

I will order the Male plugs and just do it the easy way instead of all the extra splicing into the Jeep harness.

What I meant with the truck lights was that I have already put some male connectors on the plow side and spliced some female connectors into the Jeep side for the Running and turn signals. I will order the Male plugs you sent me and be good to go. I also had a lighting problem that I was gonna ask you about but after taking all the front lights plugs apart, wire by wire and cleaning the connections, grounds andputting some diod grease and putting it all back together. Fixed my headlight and dash light problem

What guage wiring will I need to match the Plow light Pigtales?? 16??

Diode grease? Like heat sink compound?
    That is not the same as Di-electric grease. Not sure how that will keep moisture out of the terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 Renegade View Post
    What guage wiring will I need to match the Plow light Pigtales?? 16??
    I would use the biggest which would be 12 Ga. Smaller the gauge the larger the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
    Diode grease? Like heat sink compound?
    That is not the same as Di-electric grease. Not sure how that will keep moisture out of the terminals.
    I meant Di-Electric

Thanks for the help...

Quote Originally Posted by Junk Yard Genius View Post

Thanks for the Idea. It will save me time and Headaches

I have my moments!

Seemed simple to me,
    Set of connectors for the plow lights (Discount Parts Sores)
    And three colors of wires, One being black for the 'Ground',

Then I just used male spade terminals at the factory head light sockets.
    I did add a color coded wire tie to each factory wire that matched the color of the wire I used in the 'Extension' so I didn't have to do the 'Trial & Error' thing to figure out what went where after 11-1/2 months between uses...

I think I used red for high beams, green for low beams, and black for ground,
    I just put a red wire tie ('zip tie') around the high beam wire, green wire tie around the low beam wire,
    And the black wire was self explanatory after the other two were hooked up...

Anyway, that worked pretty well for quite some time.
    Did the same thing with a big old cargo basket I had for the front that obstructed the lights so I had to mount lights on it, and just plugged them into the factory sockets also.
    Nothing like having factory head lights shinning on a polished aluminum tread plate cargo box at night!

Even worse than the back of the snow plow blade!

John isn't kidding about the dielectric grease!
    Pump in as much as you can get the plug to hold, then plug it in and wipe off the excess,
    But don't wipe off too much, the salt/slush can get to the back side of the connector also!

I usually just let it squish out and hang there, then I wipe the excess on the back side of the connector where the wires terminals connect to the wires.
    Looks kind of bad, but will save your wiring many times over!

Actually, since it's a Jeep, you should probably do that with EVERY connector and contact point on the vehicle when you do service.
    Saves a TON of headaches in the long run!

Dielectric grease for electrical connections,
    Never-Seeze and lock washers for all the other fasteners on the vehicle!
    Last edited by JeepHammer; 01-22-2010 at 02:37 AM.
    REMEMBER!
    Information you got for free off the internet is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
    ----------------
    I used to be TeamRush, but I'm much better with medication...