Thread: What are the signs of a bad water pump? (4.7)

Default What are the signs of a bad water pump? (4.7)

For the past week I have heard what sounds like a bearing going on one of the pulleys under the hood. I popped the hood today and did a quick look and I can't seem to pin point it. I also noticed that for the first time since I have owned the Jeep my coolant reservoir is almost empty. (it has always been half full) I checked the oil just to make sure I wasn't getting coolant in the oil which I am not.

So now what? Anyone else had this problem? I can smell coolant when I pop the hood or walk by the passenger side of the Jeep but I haven't seen anything on the ground. I am stumped.

EDIT: I should also note that I am not overheating and I have heat in the cabin.
    Chris
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Khaki 04 Laredo 4.7L, QT-II, Magnaflow exhaust, 255/70/16 Firestone destination A/T's, OME HD springs, MX6 shocks. Amsoiled

The classic signs are grinding/squealing from the bearing and leaking of coolant. One, both, or neither symptom may be present during water pump failure.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    The classic signs are grinding/squealing from the bearing and leaking of coolant. One, both, or neither symptom may be present during water pump failure.
    Well I have the gringind squealing and show a loss of coolant from the reservoir but I don't see any on the ground. Could it only leak above idle, like going down the road?
    Chris
    Khaki 04 Laredo 4.7L, QT-II, Magnaflow exhaust, 255/70/16 Firestone destination A/T's, OME HD springs, MX6 shocks. Amsoiled

Registered

they normaly drip out coolant out of a weep hole it is called in the pump but that said
    i had one go on my sons 4x4 chev k2500 never dripped a drop but screamed and howled
    run it into a shop have them check it .your is a 2004 it might be original not sure the miles you have

Registered
    Lansing, Michigan From: Bowling Green, KY

I recently had a whining noise under the hood that turned out to be my idler/tensioner pulley. You could remove the serpentine belt and run it for a bit, which would confirm whether or not it's a belt driven accessory that's making the noise.
    '01 4.7 Limited Up Country, Front & Rear Addco Sway Bars, Pro Comp MX-6 Shocks, K&N FIPK With 9" AEM Dry Flow Filter, Akebono Front Calipers, Stillen Rotors & Pads, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Kolak 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust With Magnaflow 12589 Muffler

Quote Originally Posted by scrappiedew1 View Post
    they normaly drip out coolant out of a weep hole it is called in the pump but that said
    i had one go on my sons 4x4 chev k2500 never dripped a drop but screamed and howled
    run it into a shop have them check it .your is a 2004 it might be original not sure the miles you have
    Mine is original. I bought the jeep with 30k on it and it now has 80k.

Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    I recently had a whining noise under the hood that turned out to be my idler/tensioner pulley. You could remove the serpentine belt and run it for a bit, which would confirm whether or not it's a belt driven accessory that's making the noise.
    I planned on doing this as well.
    Chris

Registered

You might have had an air pocket and it cleared out and then when it cooled down drew more fluid back into the systems. Bring the resevoir back to the full mark with HOAT antifreeze (not the green or yellow prestone stuff, its different) Walmart carries it at the same price. Unless you see a leak after coming back to the vehicle after a long drive where it heated up fully and got good and hot (pressure will be high) and if there is a rad leak you'll see some sign underneath. Otherwise if the pump is not making a howl etc don't worry about it.

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ 4x4 283,000km Jan. 2014
    I6 4.0, Transmission Cooler
    Class III In-Bumper hitch
    Westin Safari Light Bar w/big amber driving lights
    Nokian WR SUV All Weather Plus 245P70R/16 - retired due to wear
    Yokohama Geolandar I/T 245P75R/16 on it now. Winter 2014

2009 Jeep Compass 4x4 North Edition, 2.4L, CVT
    101,000km
    Many problems with the Compass - DON'T BUY CHRYSLER JUNK

Nokian WRG2 tires (poor wear, cup easy and real noisy now)
    Markham, ON
    Canada

Registered

just take the belt off and (with the engine OFF) spin the different pullies. You'll hear the grinding/whinning from the bad one.
    Jay

Registered

Or you can try spray the pulley with water and the one that goes quiet is the culprit
    Stock 2000 4.7L Limited 4x4

Just take the belt off and spin the pulleys, wiggle the water pump pulley. If it moves up,down,left,right well it shouldn't do that so replace it.
    98 Platinum 5.9 Limited, Flowmaster, clear corners, 35% front tint, 5% sunroof tint, reloc IAT sensor, Accel coil, Summit Racing 8mm wires, Mopar front tow hooks, Mopar Performance PCM, K&N FIPK

90 Mustang LX notch back:cobra intake,70mm TB and spacer,fender mounted CAI, 1 3/4 long tube headers, 2 1/2 off road h-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73s, subframe connecters, e-fan,underdrive pullys, Steeda short through shifter

thespeedfreaks.net