Thread: Gear shift Console light

Registered

Default Gear shift Console light

1999 GC 4.0 auto. The light on the gear shift console comes on and off. Where do I start to attempt to correct this issue. Thanks

I have the same problem. I think I remember someone saying its not just a simple bulb that you can replace, something about an electroluminescent panel and you have to replace the whole board...
    2000 WJ 4.5L Stroker, Ford 9" rear axle, LA's, 35" Treps
    2006 XK 4.7L 2" RC Lift, 255/70/17 Destination AT's

Click-->Think you can beat me?

Registered

I have the same problem with my '99 WJ. The light being on for a short time, then off most of the time! I pulled my shifter apart to see what the problem was. The shifter doesn't have a bulb, instead it has an electroluminescent panel . It has 2 connectors on it which attach to a wiring harness that travel about 4 inches to a small "black box". The "black box" is sorta rectangular in shape, about 1 inch x 3/4 inch.
    I think this "black box" is where the problem is. I used a test light and had power to the box, but nothing after it.
    Jeep doesn't sell this box or the electroluminescent panel seperately, you have to buy the whole shifter assembly!!! I don't know what this "black box" does, maybe steps down the power to the electroluminescent panel. There has to be some sort of part which could be substituted in it's place to make it work.
    Last edited by 242forme; 01-03-2010 at 10:19 PM.

I have the same problem, after seeing the cost of a shifter assemble at the junkyard I decided to live with it.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/