Thread: Front end growling/groaning really worrying me

Default Front end growling/groaning really worrying me

A while back I posted about my front end making noise on turns. Jeep is a QT-II with 100,000 miles. It's in great condition. Previous owners took very good care of it.

I'm noticing a lot of groaning/growling when turning. Not even full-wheel-lock situations, but turning a U-turn or pulling into a driveway will cause the noise. Some situations you can expect it and others it will do it one moment but not the next.

I changed the fluid in the X-fer case with the correct fluid for the 247 TC. It was filled to the proper level. I'm wondering if I need to drain and service the front diff or look at replacing cv joints?
    **2004 WJ Special Edition** V8, Tow, leather, RB1, D44, QT-II, ScanGageII, Icom ICV8000, 100k.

RIP- 1999 XJ Sport, NP231, 4.0, c8.25, RC 2" BB, 30" ATs, 186,000 miles.

Power steering fluid is low or pump is going?
    Best Regards,

John V.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    2002 WJ Limited 4.7L ||| Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat ||| Quadra-Drive/Trac II 4WD System ||| Firestone Destinations LE2 245/65R17 @ 129,500 Miles
    1995 ZJ Laredo I-6 4L Auto (SOLD...good-bye old friend)
    Rubicon Express Budget Boost w/Monroe 37082/37081 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber ( Rides Like a Cadillac )
    31" Firestone Destination AT - Quiet, Sticks Like Glue

1989 XJ Laredo I-6 4L Auto (SOLD...good-bye old friend)

Growling and Groaning? Yikes. Did you check for Tigers or Bears under your hood?

Seriously, though, Does it make the noise when you are stopped, or when you are moving? If only when stopped, its probably your PS pump. Check the fluid and top it off if needed.

I have the same problem. It isn't the power steering pump. It doesn't do it with the front drive shaft out. I am thinking T-case.
    Chris
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Khaki 04 Laredo 4.7L, QT-II, Magnaflow exhaust, 255/70/16 Firestone destination A/T's, OME HD springs, MX6 shocks. Amsoiled

Quote Originally Posted by kadetklapp View Post
    A while back I posted about my front end making noise on turns. Jeep is a QT-II with 100,000 miles. It's in great condition. Previous owners took very good care of it.

I'm noticing a lot of groaning/growling when turning. Not even full-wheel-lock situations, but turning a U-turn or pulling into a driveway will cause the noise. Some situations you can expect it and others it will do it one moment but not the next.

I changed the fluid in the X-fer case with the correct fluid for the 247 TC. It was filled to the proper level. I'm wondering if I need to drain and service the front diff or look at replacing cv joints?
    Man, look at your front drive shaft... if it has a cv joint (Repezza, I think is what it's called) on either or both ends then inspect the boot(s) and see if there might not be a spray of lubricant on the underbelly of the Jeep. Mine was making all kinds of noises, growling included, and I replaced the drive shaft and it cured every issue.

Could be your power steering gear box is going out.

Have you checked wheel bearings? They will make growling noise when turning.

Do a series of sharp figure eights in both directions. Leave the windows open and have a friend watch the front tires.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Registered

kadetklapp... Have you figured out what the issue is yet?

Billy-Ray... by turning the figure 8's and having a friend watch...what are you watching for and what are the possible symptoms indicate or lean you to and away from determining what the problem might be?

Mechanic friend of mine drove it and thinks it's the cv shafts.
    **2004 WJ Special Edition** V8, Tow, leather, RB1, D44, QT-II, ScanGageII, Icom ICV8000, 100k.

Speaking of which, I got online at Autozone to price some new shafts. Just to get a rough idea of the cost on parts. There is this ominous warning in the "Notes" section:

Application:
    Left hand side (Sitting inside vehicle)
    Without quadra-drive
    Warranty:

LLT
    Notes:

Engine alignment is critical for this application. Strongly suggest replacement of motor mounts
    Now, what in the world does "engine alignment" have to do with this? I thought maybe it was just a universal warning given on all cv shafts since FWD cars use them too. I looked up my wife's G6 and no such warning was given. Any ideas?

Never seen that before. Basicly there saying make sure the motor mounts are good before replacing the cv shafts. By having a bad motor mount it would throw off the engine alignment.

Looks like a general warning/suggestion/sales-pitch to check the motor mounts. As huey113 mentioned if mounts are worn enough it could extra stress on CV because of engine mis-alignment.
    Best Regards,

John V.

2002 WJ Limited 4.7L ||| Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat ||| Quadra-Drive/Trac II 4WD System ||| Firestone Destinations LE2 245/65R17 @ 129,500 Miles
    1995 ZJ Laredo I-6 4L Auto (SOLD...good-bye old friend)
    Rubicon Express Budget Boost w/Monroe 37082/37081 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber ( Rides Like a Cadillac )
    31" Firestone Destination AT - Quiet, Sticks Like Glue

1989 XJ Laredo I-6 4L Auto (SOLD...good-bye old friend)

kadetklapp....I second this...have you figured out what the issue is yet?

That is the typical warning for front wheel drive vehicles. Since most of those are equipped with half-shafts using CV joints. Some "clerk" enters this information on their website. As mentioned it also can be used as a selling point. The other thing if that warning was Jeep specific they would mention the transmission and TC mounts as well.

94 5.2

Patriot Guard Riders Cager
    www.patriotguard.org

Location Leader
    Wreaths Across America
    Jacksonville National Cemetery
    www.WreathsAcrossAmerica.org
    www.WreathsAcrossAmericaJacksonville.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGVRzllI1c

Wreaths Across America programs will be taking place on 15 Dec 12 at over 700 location this year. Please go to their website and sponsor a wreath to be laid upon a Veterans grave.

Engine position has nothing to do with axle half shafts (cv's).... But driveshaft and pinion bearings could.

I 2nd the wheel hub/cv needs to be examined
    '00 WJ 4.7 - 6in Long Arms/Bilstein 5125's, Aussie locked D44a, IRO adj. A-arm, Cragars & 315/75/16 BFG's, LSR bumper, Warn winch, 242HD, Dodge HD 160a alt, Catless Magnaflow exhaust etc

This is a simple fix. You said you recently changed the diff fluid right? You'll need to add the anti slip additive to the differential as well. I had the same problem when I changed my diff fluid and couldn't figure out what it was. Put in the anti slip additive and it went away.

my mistake. you said you changed the transfer case fluid, not the diff fluid. could be that you need to change the diff fluid and add the anti slip juice.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by JxxJeep97 View Post
    Billy-Ray... by turning the figure 8's and having a friend watch...what are you watching for and what are the possible symptoms indicate or lean you to and away from determining what the problem might be?

Bump
    2002 Laredo Sport | 4.0 | Selec Trac

Feeling lucky? Take me on... ---> http://mrh4ck.mybrute.com