Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quadra Trac II problems

Icon317 Quadra Trac II problems

Just purchased a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD with a 4.7 liter V8 and the Quadra-Trac II - 74,000 miles.

The problem I'm having is the front tires aren't engaging unless I shift the transfer case into 4-LO - can't get out of my driveway unless I am in 4-LO...

Any ideas what could be wrong? If so what could a person expect to pay for the fix?

Has the TC fluid ever been changed?
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

trail rated - just had the Jeep delivered last night, bought it off E-bay. I don't know if it has been changed recently.

Would this make a difference in this type of 4WD system?

Yes it would, the clutch pack is pressurized by the fluid which causes front propulsion to engage.

Click on the "T-case fluid change" link in my sig, it will take you to my wright-up on how to change the fluid. Only use Mopar transfer case lubricant in the TC, anything else will cause problems.

After searching this topic in depth it seems like others have had this problem as well.

Have most of you had good luck with changing the TC fluid with the correct Mopar oil and amount? I am somewhat concerned it may be the progressive coupler.

Thanks for the info on the fluids trail rated - appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlingKing View Post
    After searching this topic in depth it seems like others have had this problem as well.

Have most of you had good luck with changing the TC fluid with the correct Mopar oil and amount? I am somewhat concerned it may be the progressive coupler.

Thanks for the info on the fluids trail rated - appreciate it.
    It could be the PC but it could also be wrong/old fluid, I guess you could just check the fluid to see what condition it is in before changing it.

Sounds like maybe some good news, bought the correct Mopar fluid and took the Jeep to the local country mechanic down the road from me for a complete vehicle check up...

Turns out one of the TC seals was leaking (I think the output seal) and it was very, very low on fluid, I should know tomorrow after we run it for a test drive if it works - thanks again trail rated for the heads up.
    Last edited by BlingKing; 12-22-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Ouch! I hope you didn't do any damage...

Yahoo!! just picked up the Jeep. The correct amount and type of TC fluid (Mopar) cured the problem. The front end bites like a shark and sticks like gorilla snot to the snow/ice covered roads.

You are lucky. I had the same problem and had to put in a new TC because the coupler was shot.

Bet it feels nice to have 2-wheel-drive now, huh?! (you know, right-rear and left-front...)

Nice to be able to get out of my driveway without having to use 4-LO

i'm having the same issue here, but the fluid level is fine! any ideas? 4-LO works great aside from a really loud clicking/grinding noise =X

Actually, I lied. Turned out there was absolutely no fluid in the transfer case and I must have been driving around with an empty TC since august (I had the TC re-sealed at a dealer and they must have forgotten to top it off when they were finished.) So, I filled her up with two fresh quarts of mopar TC fluid and all hell broke loose. The 4wd works, mind you, but there's a terrible grinding/clicking noise. So, I think it's safe to say my TC is damaged

That's too bad. I priced a rebuilt 247 T/C and it was close to $1100.00. It would have come with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty though.

Would anyone else here say its the dealers responsibility to repair my TC? I'm taking it in tomorrow, with receipt in hand, saying they failed to do a proper job.

does the receipt say they added fluids? if so maybe if not its all yours and theyll tell you to pound sand
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

the receipt does not say they added fluid

Default 247 Just rebuilt

I just finished rebuilding the transfer case in my wife's 99 grand Cherokee.
    Its was a pretty easy job to do! about an hour to pull the case once it was in the air and the tools were out. another hour to disassemble the case and figure out how it was supposed to work and what was wrong. the internal clutch was looked OK so I took a chance and didn't replace it. the main problems were the shift fork, planetary gear washer that holds the gear together and the chain along with the usual seals to keep it from leaking. (Make sure to us the jeep transfer case fluid only its only 11 bucks a quart) 3 hours to rebuild and another 1.5 hours to install. Test drove it trying to get out of our 1/8 mile driveway buried in snow this morning and it worked great wooohoo.

Now on to the clock spring and the blend doors

Registered

From what I've read (this thread and others) its worth a fluid change if your 4 high isn't working. I have an '01 limited with just 4 hi and 4 lo (quadra-drive tag) - this should be a 247 correct?

I have the front and rear diffs and the TC serviced at the dealer when I bought the car 17k miles ago. Recent snow has called to my attention that I have no power to either front tire in 4 hi (had 3 different people visually confirm this). 4 lo works perfectly fine. Went by the dealer yesterday and they gave me a bunch of BS about the shifter or clutch being broken and fluid wouldn't make a difference. I know for a fact the front tires were spinning when I high-sided it in November.

maybe dirty/low fluid? broken seal?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by vrthomas; 02-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    2000 WJ Limited PART OUT THREAD

2003 Mach 1
    2001 WJ Limited 4.7 -sold
    1965 Mustang 289

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast