Thread: 2003 Liberty Dashboard bulbs

Registered

Default 2003 Liberty Dashboard bulbs

Does anyone have any experience/information on how to replace the dashboard lights? The majority of my speedometer and tach have lost it's brightness when my headlights are in use. I can only assume there are a series of small bulbs underneath, but can't find any information on if this is true or how to replace them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2003 Liberty Renegade
    5spd
    82K miles
    Seven years old today!
    2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade
    5spd Manual

Registered

Its a big pain... you need to remove the instrument cluster and I think there are 5-6 bulbs. I believe they can only be purchased at the dealer (bulb/holder combo). The P/N I bought was 4839738AA. (Yes, I kept the receipt for reference).

To be safe disconnect the battery...to removed the cluster, remove the a-pillar trim/grab handles, then you can carefully pry up the cover that is next to the windshield that goes over the small speakers across the whole dash. Then you need to pry off the two trim bezels on each side of the steering wheel. Then remove the 7 screws that hold the cluster bezel. Then remove the 4 screws that hold the cluster. pull it toward you and unplug it from the wiring harness. Swap the bad bulb/holder(s) -its removed/attached by a small twist out of the socket with a small screwdriver in a slot in the bulb/holder. Reassemble the whole shootin-match.

Like I said...big pain but if you are like me, I'll tear my jeep apart to fix a bulb thats out!
    Stock pre-lowered 2002 KJ Sport 3.7

Registered

Thank you SO MUCH for the reply. Looks like I've got a weekend project to do!
    2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade
    5spd Manual

If the bulbs you need are like the ones on a 2002 and up TJ for the Heater controls they are $6.00 per Bulb from the Dealer. I found that Mack trucks use the same bulbs for there dash and they charge $.68 to $1.00 per bulb. I found no part stores who could get them. It would be worth your while to go to a Mack Dealer.

Registered

No problem...just a suggestion...the part number I have above cost $1.40 each from the dealer in August 2005. Who knows what it is now or they may have updated the Part number to something else...anyway after I replaced the initial one that went out, as one would expect, another went out about a month later. So the second time, I bought 6 bulbs, took the dash apart and looked at the ones that were still working - including the new one I put in a month earlier. Only the remaining working originals were all dark inside. I've had bulbs like that last years but the bottom line is I repalced them all (the originals) to hedge against operating on the dash any time soon. Also I have a few spares just in case.
    Obviously, you should connect power (assuming you disconnected the battery) and ensure all lights are working before buttoning things back up.

Anyway good luck...you will be fine
    Last edited by Ohaness; 11-04-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Stock pre-lowered 2002 KJ Sport 3.7