Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NAPA Silver Oil Filter -who makes them, any good

Registered

Icon922 NAPA Silver Oil Filter -who makes them, any good

I have read about the NAPA Gold but they are quite pricey here. The Silver is reasonable. I was wonder who makes them and if anyone is using them. I will likely give them a try. Wix is costing me nearly $8 now and the NAPA Gold is over $11

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ 4x4 283,000km Jan. 2014
    I6 4.0, Transmission Cooler
    Class III In-Bumper hitch
    Westin Safari Light Bar w/big amber driving lights
    Nokian WR SUV All Weather Plus 245P70R/16 - retired due to wear
    Yokohama Geolandar I/T 245P75R/16 on it now. Winter 2014

2009 Jeep Compass 4x4 North Edition, 2.4L, CVT
    101,000km
    Many problems with the Compass - DON'T BUY CHRYSLER JUNK

Nokian WRG2 tires (poor wear, cup easy and real noisy now)
    Markham, ON
    Canada

Registered

Wix makes both the Silver & Gold for Napa.

2003 WJ Laredo I-6 183,000 Miles

They are both very good filters; however, you can buy a Motorcraft FL-1A filter for a little more than $3 at wally-world, it's as good as the Napa Silver filter.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

If your going to walliey world you can get a mopar oil filter for about 5 bucks
    -95 Larado with all 5.9 cladding, rockers, and bumpers.
    -98 5.9, Mopar PCM, M1, 4bbl TB, MSD, Mopar wires, K&N CAI, and Bluetooth, 16 in. Liby steelies with BFG's for wheel'n.
    -00 WJ Limited, bone stock.
    -02 WJ Overland, Mopar CAI (aFe), Fat Bob's 2in. BB., 265/65/17 BFG A/T's.
    -03 WJ Limited bone stock.

Quote Originally Posted by moorekyl View Post
    If your going to walliey world you can get a mopar oil filter for about 5 bucks
    Yeah but isn't mopar made by fram now?
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

I am currently using the Pro-tec filters bought by the case for 1.61ea from O'Reilly...they are made by WIX and are assumed to be the same filter as the Napa Silver...They are decent filter for non-extended drains...I plan to return to WIX name-brand when I run out of these.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by trail rated View Post
    Yeah but isn't mopar made by fram now?
    Nope. The Mopar M0-090's that are at Wal-Mart are made by Purolator.

I had a post about oil filters starting here:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...39#post4469139

Registered

Default Filters

Thanks guys,

I picked up two for now. The look ok, white Says NAPA Pro Select on them. Walmart here only carries FRAM everywhere.

The sales lady, yes lady said they were a good filter but did not know who made them. But they were popular. Another NAPA close buy wants $3 more for the same filter.

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ 4x4 283,000km Jan. 2014
    I6 4.0, Transmission Cooler
    Class III In-Bumper hitch
    Westin Safari Light Bar w/big amber driving lights
    Nokian WR SUV All Weather Plus 245P70R/16 - retired due to wear
    Yokohama Geolandar I/T 245P75R/16 on it now. Winter 2014

2009 Jeep Compass 4x4 North Edition, 2.4L, CVT
    101,000km
    Many problems with the Compass - DON'T BUY CHRYSLER JUNK

Nokian WRG2 tires (poor wear, cup easy and real noisy now)
    Markham, ON
    Canada

Registered

You guy's north of the boarder sure do get bent over on what you have for product selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongt View Post
    Nope. The Mopar M0-090's that are at Wal-Mart are made by Purolator.

I had a post about oil filters starting here:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...39#post4469139
    They used to have the contract...now they are made by the cheapest bidder...it might be a Purolator one year and a Fram the next?

That's kinda like playing Russian roulette! Why not just go with the purolator and save yourself the gamble?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by wickerham View Post
    That's kinda like playing Russian roulette! Why not just go with the purolator and save yourself the gamble?!?!
    Purolator is crap unless you pay the extra bucks for their Pure One, which is a very good filter.

Wix, on the other hand, makes great oil filters. Especially, at their price point.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by FastSUV View Post
    They used to have the contract...now they are made by the cheapest bidder...it might be a Purolator one year and a Fram the next?
    That maybe true. The ones that are in stock at my Wal-Mart are a Purolator. You can tell by the baseplate.

It's always best though to spend a few extra bucks during the oil change and get a good filter. Such as PureOne, Napa Gold, or for a few more a Mobil 1.

I've used the Mopar, Napa Gold, and now I'm running a Mobil 1 filter since it came free when I bought a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 last time I bought oil.

But to each he's own. Do whatever makes you feel better about your Jeep or wallet.

Wait a sec, the mopar filter that is in my 4.7ho is identical down to the stamping thats on the inside of the bosch filter that I bought to replace it. I actually had both and compared them. The only difference was the sticker on the outside.
    '84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258 GM TBI with spark control and HEI, t-5, d300, d30 w/aussie locker, amc20 w/ trac loc, 33" Swamper SSR's, 2.5" BDS, 1" BL, MORE shackles, Superwinch hubs, Superior shafts, tie-rod flip, Taurus Fan, YJ brake booster, Full cage, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, lots of other stuff...
    '05 Tahoe LS 5.3 flex fuel, Z55, Cooper AT3's, K&N fipk, G80 locker, HD Hood, z71 fogs daily, driver/kid hauler
    Sold: 98 TJ, 96 ZJ, 00 WJ, 02 WJ
    My Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.viciouscustoms.com/TBI/junkyardtbi.asp.htm

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepperTJ View Post
    Wait a sec, the mopar filter that is in my 4.7ho is identical down to the stamping thats on the inside of the bosch filter that I bought to replace it. I actually had both and compared them. The only difference was the sticker on the outside.
    Thats because the Bosch oil filter is made by Purolator too. Have a company logo on something does not mean a thing anymore. Besides buying a rebranded product. In the case of oil filters, maybe a different filter media.
    Last edited by Strongt; 10-27-2009 at 02:06 AM.

the "safest" filters are M1 & WIX...(and Napa)...the PureOne filters "too well" Google it!

NAPA filters are all WIX and they are all good. I usually buy the middle filter which is the NASCAR filter. There is also the proselect that they keep behind the counter and the gold. I run those as well just mostly the NASCAR Napa filter because they always have tons of them there. Any WIX will be a huge step up from the "others."

The Motorcraft FL1-As are absolute junk. I tried one for the first time last change, and the Jeep developed a nice ticking for the first few minutes on a cold start. After only 3,500 miles the oil came out looking like crap. I just put on a WIX for the first time...now that's a great filter. It's also got the silicone valve. I've used Mopar for a long time with no problems as well.
    Rare 2001 WJ S/A Laredo, loaded, 4.7L
    -Airraid MIT paired with a K&N panel filter
    -Flowmaster 50 catback
    -new set of Destination ATs

Quote Originally Posted by tbm5690 View Post
    The Motorcraft FL1-As are absolute junk. I tried one for the first time last change, and the Jeep developed a nice ticking for the first few minutes on a cold start. After only 3,500 miles the oil came out looking like crap. I just put on a WIX for the first time...now that's a great filter. It's also got the silicone valve. I've used Mopar for a long time with no problems as well.
    Dirty oil is a sign that it's doing it's job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast