Thread: Rebuild D30 for a TJ

Default Rebuild D30 for a TJ

So I need to rebuild my front axle.. can someone give me step by step or at least a parts list?

I "think" I have an idea of what I need to do but I am not 100%..

I was thinking I might be able to get my hands on a HPD30 from an XJ.. If so do i need to change drive shafts at all??
    Thanks,
    Jason
    99 TJ, built a touch...

What's wrong with the one you've got that you need to rebuild it? Whatever the problem is has an effect on the parts you need. Broken spiders and side gears? Broken R&P? Broken carrier? Any collateral damage if you broke something?

If you're rebuilding a D30, there are few arguments against upgrading to a HP30. If you can find one, get it and build from there. You'll save yourself one headache by not having to set the pinion bearing preload with a crush sleeve. The HP30 uses shims instead. Then factor in the higher pinion for better clearance and better driveline angles. The driveshaft you have now will work with the HP30 if you upgrade to one.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Quote Originally Posted by ehirner View Post
    What's wrong with the one you've got that you need to rebuild it? Whatever the problem is has an effect on the parts you need. Broken spiders and side gears? Broken R&P? Broken carrier? Any collateral damage if you broke something?

If you're rebuilding a D30, there are few arguments against upgrading to a HP30. If you can find one, get it and build from there. You'll save yourself one headache by not having to set the pinion bearing preload with a crush sleeve. The HP30 uses shims instead. Then factor in the higher pinion for better clearance and better driveline angles. The driveshaft you have now will work with the HP30 if you upgrade to one.
    Im not rebuilding due to any carnage.. its just time. 83K the ujoints, bearing and seals are all shot so I need to change them.. I can pick up a HP30 from down the street for cheap I just need to know the gearing in it. Are the brakes transferable?? I just replaced all mine 5K...

Its going to be a winter project in a heated barn so no hurry.. I have to change the fuel pump too.. its dead and so the TJ has been sitting.

Thanks,
    Jason
    99 TJ, built a touch...

Quote Originally Posted by vtchopper View Post
    Im not rebuilding due to any carnage.. its just time. 83K the ujoints, bearing and seals are all shot so I need to change them.. I can pick up a HP30 from down the street for cheap I just need to know the gearing in it. Are the brakes transferable?? I just replaced all mine 5K...
    Brakes are compatible. If you get an older HP30 with the two piece knuckles, swap everything, including the knuckles to reuse your TJ brakes. If you find a non-disco HP30 (available years are in the XJ forum FAQ), the seals will be the same as your TJ D30. If you have a disco HP30, the passenger side seal gets a little creative. There was a good thread with a part number in it for the disco passenger side seal but I don't recall it off the top of my head. I'd have to search for it.

As far as all the parts you want to replace, I'd start with a master rebuild kit. It will include the bearings, shims, and pinion seal you need. Inner oil seals may be extra. U-joints will be available separately as well.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Registered

Its going to be a winter project in a heated barn so no hurry..
    Everything up here is a winter project. Our two seasons you know-winter and Fourth of July.

Below is a comprehensive OEM parts list. Seems to be very detailed, and exceedingly long, but user friendly enough. I think it is what you were looking for, and you can cross match from TJ to XJ for similarities.

Hope to see you out in the woods sometime. Hunting season now though, and black Jeeps do so resemble moose/bear....

Bob

http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php
    2000 Sahara
    31x10.5 TSL bias, 2" RE bb, PJ gas tank skid, Warn engine skid, JKS "quicker" discos, Smittybilt xrc8, Smittybilt SRC Classic bumper (front installed, rear in basement still)

www.exploringnh.com
    www.vtoffroad.com
    www.performanceunlim.com
    www.wildnh.com/maps/topo.html
    http://www.aot.state.vt.us/planning/...town_maps1.htm

Its going to be a winter project in a heated barn so no hurry.. I have to change the fuel pump too.. its dead and so the TJ has been sitting.

Thanks,
    Jason
    I put a HP D30 in mine a few months back. I bought it about 1 1/2 yeas ago and would mess around with it every now and again when I had some free time. I replaced all the ball joints, seals, beefed up the brackets/welded on lower control arm skids, etc. and then put in some 4:56 gears to match the LP D30 I was replacing. It's nice having my drive shaft up a little higher and away from the rocks. It also fixed a slight vibration I had in the front by improving the drive shaft angle.

i need to rebuild my axle as well so i will be looking into the same thing

Registered

Starting to polish the turd myself. Hp30. Sandblasted, painted and stripped. Now for the rest of the polishing.
    2005 LJ, 4.88's, fully locked w/detroits, cromo shafts, RE4.5" on 35's BFG,KM2's, OBA, 10K winch, Currie steering, 1"mm lift, tera belly up, 1" bl, Sye w/ shaft