Thread: 258 ignition timing ??? please help

Registered

Post 258 ignition timing ??? please help

i think i have a problem with my ignition timing. here's the deal. in order for my 258 to run, and have any kind of throttle response/power, i have the timing set at around 17 deg BTDC. i think this is to advanced. if i set it at the recommended 9 +- 2 degrees the engine will run but not have any power. like i cant get out of my driveway without almost getting broadsided.

here is my testing technique. unplug vacuum advance hose, plug hose with screw. clip timing light on #1 (closest to radiator) spark plug wire. check timing. am i missing something? my timing light has a dial to set degrees advanced and i have to turn it to 17 deg for it to line up with "0" in the timing marks.

i dont have any noticable pinging, and i run 87 gas.

on a whim i checked to see if maybe the harmonic balancer was off kilter, thereby throwing off the timing marks. i pulled the #1 plug and stuck a coat hanger in the hole, and turned the engine with a bar. sure enough, the timing marks do indicate TDC on #1.

i am afraid i am damaging my engine, even though it's not pinging at all. but the thing isn't drivable if i retard the timing any more. is there something i'm missing? please help!

thanks

ROB

------------------
    '89 YJ 258 auto. MSD 6A ignition. a work in progress

[This message has been edited by 89laredo42 (edited 11-10-2001).]
    '89 YJ 258 auto. MSD 6A ignition, 7' Meyers snow plow. a work in progress

Registered

On my '86 I also have to unplug a wire from a vacuum control valve on the firewall (can't remember what it's called for sure). Don't know if this applies to yours or not.

Sam
    '86 CJ7 - at least it started out as a '86 CJ7

Registered

Do you still have the BBD carb and the original ignition? The computer makes adjustments to the carb and ignition to try to compensate for other problems. It could be screwing up your timing.

I do not run the stock ignition or the BBD carb (or computer)and I am currently running 10 degrees and I may soon go to 12. If you are running the stock stuff, you will need to follow the guidelines in the FSM to set the timing properly. I recall that there were a few other things that had to be done to set it properly while the original systems are functioning.

Good Luck.

------------------
    Bob Cassetty
    Binghamton, Ny

89 YJ, 30x9.50 MT/R's, 1.25" Warrior shackle lift, RE Discos, 4.2, 5 speed, GM HEI, Weber K551, No more emissions, Flowmaster 40 series delta flow, Sanden OBA, Front & Rear tow hooks, 2" receiver hitch, Optima red top.

Every time I go off road I think of something new to add. Must be a Jeep Thing.
    www.BillyBob535.com
    74 CJ6 build in progress
    04 Hemi ram

Bob

Registered

i still have the BBD, but have done the Nutter Bypass and later changed over to a new MSD 6A ignition. does this mean i no longer go by what the sticker on the hood says? (9 deg BTDC +- 2)

------------------

[This message has been edited by 89laredo42 (edited 11-10-2001).]

Registered

Did you pull the distributer, and put it back in "off by one tooth"?
    This happened to me once, and had me scrathcin' my head for a few.

Also I would think that the electronic ignition you put in would make quite a difference in spark timing, and duration, so that may be your answer.

[quote]here is my testing technique. unplug vacuum advance hose, plug hose with screw. clip timing light on #1 (closest to radiator) spark plug wire. check timing. am i missing something? my timing light has a dial to set degrees advanced and i have to turn it to 17 deg for it to line up with "0" in the timing marks. [/quote}

I don't know about your timing light, the one I use (not anymore do it by "feel now) is an inductive light.

You clip it on plug wire one, and adjust the distr. accodingly to get the timing mark to be in the proper place.

Also is your vacumm advance woking properly?

MJ
    84 CJ7 Molested and tired.

Registered

Now I may be dumber than a rock but to my web site http://home.off-road.com/~leve216237...20Contents.htm

Look at:
    Timing an Engine
    Timing Gear/Chain Check

Give it a try... it works for me. Let me know how it worked out.

Registered

LEVE

very impressive website! i'll have to try that timing thing.

i'm thinking my MSD is throwing off the stock numbers. i guess i shouldn't go by the book so much...

thanks and i'll keep you posted

ROB

------------------

Registered

it is posibly your timing light, is it a good light? some timing lights will not work with MSD ign, this is because of the multiple spark pulses. Check with MSD for the compatibility of your light to their ignition. I bet that is your problem.
    If it dosen't ping and dosen't overheat and runns good its ok, just set it by ear (takes longer but works) just keep turning it up untill it pings or runns bad and then turn it back alittle.

------------------
    96, limited , 5.2, K&N FIPK, Kolak ignition.....
    85 CJ-7 Trail rig, OME suspension, Custom shakle reversal, 33's, detriot, custom bumpers, Warn 8274,
    80 CJ-5 Project (in pieces right now)
    46 CJ-2A Runs and drives needs work
    83 CJ-7 unmolested so far...
    88 XJ 2" BB
    Jeep pics
    85 CJ-7 Trail rig, SOA, 36's
    80 CJ-5 Project
    46 CJ-2A stock
    Next project: Aluminum Tub Flattie
    Full Circle Performance And Off Road