Thread: nv247 transfer case stuck

Icon922 nv247 transfer case stuck

Just bought a 1999 Grand Cherokee where the 4wd selector is completely stuck. It has the nv247 transfer case. The Hi mode works just fine, but it is impossible to move the selector to either neutral or 4Lo. The case fluid was recently changed using the mopar speciality fluid. Disconnected the linkage from the TC and it worked fine, so its probably internal.
    How to make the transfer case shift again? What to do?

Try this:

Turn the Jeep off, turn key to the "on" position (engine still off). With foot on brake, shift trans to neutral, then back to park, make sure your foot is still on the brake. Try to shift the T-case into 4lo. If it doesn't shift than I don't know what to tell ya.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Registered

do as he says above i could also put my trans in neutral while running and be able to switch it in nuetral and 4 low, if its broken and you need a new one i just took out my 247 today for a 242 swap.
    2000 wj inline 6 quadra drive with a 242 swap
    IRO 5.5" front long arm suspension and mx6 shocks
    JKS track bar and disco's
    OME dual steering stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by itr.#1446 View Post
    do as he says above i could also put my trans in neutral while running and be able to switch it in nuetral and 4 low...
    Yeah but the output shaft still spins in neutral, that could cause the input and output to not line up.

Registered

well yea first time i did it i heard it grind because i was doing it slowly but if you give it a nice firm tug i can get it to go in without any problems
    2000 wj inline 6 quadra drive with a 242 swap
    IRO 5.5" front long arm suspension and mx6 shocks
    JKS track bar and disco's
    OME dual steering stabilizer

With the engine ON put transmission in neutral and then roll the vehicle at 1-3 MPH. So very slowly in neutral (try finding a slight decline road). While riding the brakes and rolling at 1-3MPH pull on the selector lever for the transfer case firmly (don't be weak and scared). If a good yank doesn't move it then you have a linkage problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPaint View Post
    With the engine ON put transmission in neutral and then roll the vehicle at 1-3 MPH. So very slowly in neutral (try finding a slight decline road). While riding the brakes and rolling at 1-3MPH pull on the selector lever for the transfer case firmly (don't be weak and scared). If a good yank doesn't move it then you have a linkage problem.
    This way doesn't work well for me, I get a lot of grinding even if I do pull the lever firmly.

I do it this way when I'm wheeling: Stop, put trans in park, shift into 4lo, put trans in drive. Works every time

Quote Originally Posted by trail rated View Post
    This way doesn't work well for me, I get a lot of grinding even if I do pull the lever firmly.

I do it this way when I'm wheeling: Stop, put trans in park, shift into 4lo, put trans in drive. Works every time
    How do you wheel if you're 13 yrs old?
    '02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", 231HD w/SYE, 44/9", 35's
    '06 XK: 65th Anniversary Edition SOLD
    '98 XJ: stolen
    '99 XJ: stock

www.endlessmtnfab.com
    Support your local driveline shop.

Park will cause more resistance. If you can't do it in neutral you are doing something wrong like not rolling the vehicle. All NV and NP chain driven cases are designed to be shifted with the transmission in neutral. This applies to divorced or mated transfer cases.

Try this:

Turn the Jeep off, turn key to the "on" position (engine still off). With foot on brake, shift trans to neutral, then back to park, make sure your foot is still on the brake. Try to shift the T-case into 4lo. If it doesn't shift than I don't know what to tell ya.
    Tried it. Still doesnt move at all.
    The external linkage is clean and lubed but the arm on the TC is not moving at all.
    How much force can one apply to the TC arm without damaging stuff? A hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Tried it. Still doesnt move at all.
    The external linkage is clean and lubed but the arm on the TC is not moving at all.
    How much force can one apply to the TC arm without damaging stuff? A hammer?
    This is what the FSM says:

TRANSFER CASE
    DIFFICULT TO SHIFT
    OR WILL NOT SHIFT
    INTO DESIRED RANGE
    1. Vehicle speed too great to permit
    shifting
    1. Reduce speed to 3-4 km/h (2-3 mph) before
    attempting to shift
    2. Transfer case external shift cable
    binding
    2. Lubricate, repair or replace cable, or tighten
    loose components as necessary
    3. Insufficient or incorrect lubricant
    3. Drain and refill to edge of fill hole with correct
    lubricant
    4. Internal components binding,
    worn, or damaged
    4. Disassemble unit and replace worn or
    damaged components as necessary

Quote Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
    How do you wheel if you're 13 yrs old?
    14 now, I'm getting my learners permit next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPaint View Post
    Park will cause more resistance. If you can't do it in neutral you are doing something wrong like not rolling the vehicle. All NV and NP chain driven cases are designed to be shifted with the transmission in neutral. This applies to divorced or mated transfer cases.
    Yes, I know park will cause more resistance if say you park on a hill and try to shift the T-case. But that's why you keep your foot on the brake, shift into P, and then shift the T-case. That way there is no load on the park pawl.

But the way you say to do it works too.

That's odd, I get alot of grinding if i don't do it that way. In fact, I've tried to shift it while in park or at a stand still and couldn't do it. If I am moving, in neutral, 2-3mph, everything syncs up and it's like butter, right from 4-all time through n to 4-lo.
    '03 WJ LTD / 4.7
    2" BB, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks, Overland Rails
    245/70/17 Grabber AT2's

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    That's odd, I get alot of grinding if i don't do it that way. In fact, I've tried to shift it while in park or at a stand still and couldn't do it. If I am moving, in neutral, 2-3mph, everything syncs up and it's like butter, right from 4-all time through n to 4-lo.
    Hmm, that's odd.
    My case has done that ever since we bought the Jeep so I guess it's normal then.