Thread: MC2100 / Clifford intake. Is this gap a problem?

Default MC2100 / Clifford intake. Is this gap a problem?

Gap on backside

Gap on side:

So, I have all my other projects completed. THEREFORE, time to get back on the Jeep.

Yes, there is a gap. HOWEVER, the big, thick thermal insulator gasket seals it up.

Here is a pic of the BOTTOM of my 2100:

The red ARROW points to my big vacuum leak. Nobody to be mad at but myself on that one. (I am going to plug it externally as well as INTERNALLY inside of the carb...) The red LINE and squiggled out portion is where I wish my MC2100 was solid. Has anyone ever seen an MC2100 that is filled in there?
    Mugzilla!

1975 CJ-5
    Clifford Intake
    MC 2100
    DUI

"Outside of a dog, a book is mans-best-friend. INSIDE of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Registered

I had the same problem as you did, and like you stated, I used the thick insulator gasket and it solved that problem. I've messed with three 2100's, and they're all the same on the bottom.

Registered

I ran my 2150 for three years before I noticed that gap. Yes the thick gasket held for a while, but after three years everything settled in and I started getting a vacuum leak. I wound up making another plate to fit on top of the carb adapter that took care of the problem, but I have access to an awesome plasma cutter. Gaskets won't hold that gap forever, at least in my experience. I think Mr. Gasket makes a different adapter that is square in the back instead of angled in, like the one everybody talks about for use with the 2100. I saw it in a pic somewhere here just the other day.
    87 YJ, 4.2, Motorcraft 2150, TFI. E-coil, MSD Streetfire CDI, Nutter, miles of vacuum line removed.

I am using that Mr Gasket gasket (stright backed one vice a curved in one...)

It just chaps my butt that this project is so close to being completed, but the carb I want to use is incompatible with my fancy intake! (And according to Clifford Performance, everything from my DUI HEI, to the comp cams, to the intake and carb is incompatible with each other!)

Anyone want to trade a comp cams cam for a stock cam?
    Anyone want to trade a MC2100 for a holley 7448? (350 cfm 2 bbl?)
    Mugzilla!

1975 CJ-5
    Clifford Intake
    MC 2100
    DUI

"Outside of a dog, a book is mans-best-friend. INSIDE of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Mugzilla View Post
    I am using that Mr Gasket gasket (stright backed one vice a curved in one...)

It just chaps my butt that this project is so close to being completed, but the carb I want to use is incompatible with my fancy intake! (And according to Clifford Performance, everything from my DUI HEI, to the comp cams, to the intake and carb is incompatible with each other!)

Anyone want to trade a comp cams cam for a stock cam?
    Anyone want to trade a MC2100 for a holley 7448? (350 cfm 2 bbl?)
    Sounds like Clifford wants to sell you some of thier own products.

I would try to cut a gasket out of some 1/4-3/8" " thick rubber. Just draw the gasket shape you want, sharp blade or even a jigsaw will cut it.

OR.....take that adapter to a welder and have him build-up the areas that are allowing the leakage.

Registered

I made a thin plate for my2150 and will do the same when I mount the MC to the Clifford 4.0 manifold on my spare engine.
    gperx4@att.net
    AMC wrote the book.
    D/C wrote the comic book.
    I GOT AIR,YOU GOT HOT AIR.
    Just because it isn't made doesn't mean it won't happen

Registered

i've seen jb weld used to plug holes on intakes on motorcycles i dont see why it would'nt work for your problem [keep it clean mill it flat]