Thread: REC Navigation Problem (Joystick)

Default REC Navigation Problem (Joystick)

A couple days ago while on vacation, the joystick to my REC nav unit (2005 4.7 Limited) stopped zooming in and out. It will still turn around in a circle, but instead of zooming in and out, it doesn't do anything. It still moves the cursor when you move the button in the direction you want the cursor to move, it just won't zoom the map when you turn the knob left or right. I have not been harsh with the joystick at all, it just seems to be extremely poorly made - almost as if it's just bound to break.

Can someone PLEASE help me with how to get this fixed?! I have searched and seen that MANY people have had the same problem. There is a post somewhere on another forum showing how to do the repair yourself, but it is extremely involved and requires soldering, desoldering, taking the unit apart, etc. I would not be successful with that, and have absolutely no idea how to solder anything, so won't even try and potentially break the unit.

My vehicle is NOT under warranty, so that's not an option.

I KNOW people on here have had this problem with their REC Nav units. It just seems bound to happen with how horrible the joystick is made. What have you done to fix your issue with it?!

Registered

The only way I have seen to fix it is to replace it - which involves the very involved repair process you have seen. I have seen a couple places that you can send it to though and have it repaired for you but I think it is costly.

I'm hoping mine doesn't break while I own it, but if it does I'll be replacing it with a double din NAV. I agree with you that it is very poorly designed. I believe they redesigned the joystick in 2006 or 2007 so that it won't break as easily.
    -Frank the Tank-

Mine did the same thing -- Stupid girlfriend at the time thought it was a dreidel or something. Warranty covered replacement of complete nav system just because the joystick broke.

2005 WK Limited 5.7 L 4x4
    REC, VES, Mopar iPod
    OME HD
    DiabloSport Intune
    JL Audio Stealthbox and A1200 Amplifier
    XD 5000k HID
    LED Tails
    AIRAID Short Ram Intake
    Custom Powder Coated Moabs
    265/70/17 BFG TA KO
    Spidertrax 1.5"
    Valentine 1

Yeah, I had a bad feeling it was going to come down to just having to have it repaired by someone familiar with the unit and soldering because I am in no way familiar with it.

If I were to take it to a dealership, do you think they would fix it (out of warranty) WITHOUT just charging me for a new unit?

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by cds311 View Post
    Yeah, I had a bad feeling it was going to come down to just having to have it repaired by someone familiar with the unit and soldering because I am in no way familiar with it.

If I were to take it to a dealership, do you think they would fix it (out of warranty) WITHOUT just charging me for a new unit?
    I don't even think the dealer "fixes" them at all - they just replace the whole NAV unit... or they send it off to someone to get it fixed.

These people charge $225

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...fAudioQ5fVideo

I think your only other option would be to buy a new NAV if you don't want to tackle it yourself.
    -Frank the Tank-

Default Not over $30.00

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=71415 here is a whole write up. I have a charger and WK. My charger's knob went out as well. The knob is around $7.00. BUY 2!

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....user_Wildcards

that is the link for the knob..Order the knobs then take it to a radio repair shop with the print out of the repair list and for less than $20.00 they can install for you. If you are handy with desoldering it is apparently a breeze, not I though! Good luck!

Registered

I sent the unit in my 300C to Alpine which is a bit expensive ($400.00) but they upgraded the unit to the latest software/hardware which is similar to the one in my '07 Overland. I believe they also replaced the LCD screen and the the front face plate with the buttons. Then they added a sticker indicating the revised part number... It took about a week. I was very happy with the repair.
    2007 Jeep Overland - Steel Blue - Sold
    2011 Ford Edge LTD AWD - Red - Wife's new ride!
    2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD Premium - I Like it!
    2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport - Yellow (it's the daughters)
    1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Red & For sale
    2006 Subaru WRX - Blue It's the Son's

Default Rec Navigation knob fix

Yes its Chris, the model # I ordered three months ago, is RKJXT1F42001 From a web site called All American, they produce semi conductors, http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/.../RKJXT1F42001/ this link will take you to the site, as far as the shorter shaft, that is a very good thing, the reason the old one keeps break is in part do to the extra torque the leverage of the longer shaft can create on the unit. Good luck and I hope this helps!!

Chris

Icon9180wk

any update??

I recall seeing a post (long ago) where someone not only wrote up the repair process, but also outlined how to make the joystick perform the 'enter' command when you press on it.... IMO that's how it should be stock.

Edit: Some info here:
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=71415
    Last edited by 98JGCTSi; 08-24-2009 at 09:59 PM.
    1998 ZJ TSi (4.0) Platinum (RIP)
    2007 WK Ltd (4.7) Mineral Gray

Icon9180wk

Have not read that thread yet, would be great though!! I agree, should have been stock. The unit is actually made by alpine, tried to contact them for my info, no reply...