Thread: cj/yj half doors on a tj?

Icon920 cj/yj half doors on a tj?

will the bottom half of the doors work?

Back in a Jeep. Missed my CJ7 too much.

I have been told you need to relocate and change the part on the tub for it to work but, that is merely hearsay.

"For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubi with a bumper sticker

Unregistered User

i would guess you would have to modify the striker on the tub or the assembly on the door

my CJ-7 half doors are a perfect fit (hinges line up, door lines line up) but the latches are nowhere near the same
    2006 LJ Rubicon 4.0 NSG370 NV241
    1985 CJ-7 258 I6 T5 D/300 4" procomp susp. 35X12.50s

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.' Such is the rule of honor.

Member #12110

There are a few differences that you need to consider.

1. Striker type and position. The TJ uses a loop striker and the CJ/YJ uses a pin. Here's a photo of a YJ half door on a TJ. I've heard of some people being successful by removing the TJ loop striker and attaching a CJ/YJ pin striker in the upper hole that was used for the TJ striker, it looks to me like they'd line up pretty well.

2. Half doors: position of inside door latch. This one is annoying - the photo is of the same YJ half door on a TJ, you can see that you can't open the door. Some people cut the lever shorter so it clears the dash.

3. The stock YJ uppers have square top rear corners, so they won't fit. The best idea I've seen here is to adapt TJ uppers to the YJ doors, but there are complications - one or more of the pins that slide into the holes in the doors are in different places on the TJ uppers, so you'd need to move them. Also, they use different methods of sealing the bottom of the upper to the top of the door, so you'd have to work through that. Complicating this is the fact that the wireframe is sewn inside the TJ upper (the YJ uppers I have use velco to enclose the frame), so any mods you'd need to make to the frame to fit into the YJ pin holes would involve sewing.

And while I'm on the subject...

CJ/YJ hard doors have the same striker problem of course, and some weatherstrip/inside trim issues with the TJ, these may be solvable, but the annoying problem with CJ/YJ full doors on a TJ is that the window crank hits the dash, so if you plan on rolling down the windows, you'll have to remove the TJ speaker pods from the dash.

I hope this helps.
    Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
    • the Retro Wrangler pickup
    • the Gaucho CJ pickup
    • the Safari Cab custom modular hardtop