Thread: Control arm bolt sizes

Default Control arm bolt sizes

I am installing an RE lift and I am suppose to use the stock axle mounting hardware. I took the axles off awhile ago to do a 8.8 and HP30 swap so I may be missing a few bolts. Does anybody happen to know the sizes of the bolts for the front and rear upper and lower control arm bolts for mounting to the axles?

Lower are 9/16". I don't remember what the uppers are, 3/8" maybe?
    F*** Jeeps!

Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck View Post
    Lower are 9/16". I don't remember what the uppers are, 3/8" maybe?
    Factory uppers are 10mm which is slightly larger than 3/8" and slightly smaller than 7/16's.
    If you buy for the warranty, buy two. You're gonna need them because warranties don't get you home.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
    Factory uppers are 10mm which is slightly larger than 3/8" and slightly smaller than 7/16's.
    Correct.
    I discovered this the hard way on the trail. Snapped an upper CA bolt on my RELA kit (frame mount end of the CA)
    Ended up using some 3/8" redi-rod to get off the trail. I got new bolts from RE in the 10mm size. They're grade 10.9 BTW.
    '98 TJ / 4.0 / 3-speed Auto / 3.5" RELA / Custom HPD44 front / D44 rear / 4.88's / Chromo shafts / ARB's / Warn premium hubs front AND rear / Antirock / PSC Hydro-assist steering / Warn 9.5ti with synthetic line / Hell-bent Fab front bumper / Warn rear bumper with carrier / Sniperfab front fenders / Sniperfab rear flares / Genright full rear corners / A-Z rockers / Full cage / 35" MTR's / 15 LB. CO2 tank / ....chrome headlight surrounds.

Icon920 Control Arm bolts

I think stock upper axle are flange bolts... But the size is M14X2X105
    Frames are M10X1.5X78 Grade 10.9 Don't forget the nuts....
    I think Lowes may have these bolts...Fastenal will get you a bag-o-bolts, cheep. Consider that you probably will remove and replace control arm bolts several times over the life of the Jeep to service bushings or joints; stocking up is a wise thing to do.
    :nerd: They call it PMS because the term "Mad Cow" was already taken.
    2006 Rubicon...W/ AtoZ Fabrication rear bumper, 4" on 33's. ; When my wonderful wife lets me drive it.
    2004 TJ D44- 2" on 33's MTR's
    AtoZ Fabrication rockers and rear bumper. MM Hydraulic Winch, CB and GPS, MML, 1" BL 33 Engineering TT. JB Conversion's SS-SYE and a Woody DS. NOVAK TC shifter.

Thanks for those bolt sizes Billdacat, I'm running out within the next few days to pick up a bunch of them for both trail spares and to replace a couple on my RE suspension. I broke an upper control arm bolt last month while offroading and I was very thankful a guy in my group happened to have the exact size replacement bolt I needed.

Does anyone know the exact size and length of the lower bolts so I can pick them up before this weekend when I'll have time to pull a bolt to check?

Edit: Nevermind, I called RE and the lower control arm bolt size is 7/16-12x4.5", Grade 8.

RE also said a good upgrade for the uppers is to replace the upper control arm joint's spherical ball with one that will accept a 1/2" bolt instead of its current 10mm. For those breaking them more than I am which is only once so far, that sounds like a good idea.
    Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 07-29-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by billdacat View Post
    I think stock upper axle are flange bolts... But the size is M14X2X105
    I think you've confused something somewhere.

14mm is .551 and 9/16's is .5625 which would make your uppers only slightly smaller than the lowers.

I haven't checked lately, but if memory serves, the uppers use the same size bolts on both ends. No?

Frames are M10X1.5X78 Grade 10.9 Don't forget the nuts....
    I think Lowes may have these bolts...Fastenal will get you a bag-o-bolts, cheep. Consider that you probably will remove and replace control arm bolts several times over the life of the Jeep to service bushings or joints; stocking up is a wise thing to do.
    If you buy for the warranty, buy two. You're gonna need them because warranties don't get you home.

Icon920 bolt size

Quote Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
    I think you've confused something somewhere.

14mm is .551 and 9/16's is .5625 which would make your uppers only slightly smaller than the lowers.

I haven't checked lately, but if memory serves, the uppers use the same size bolts on both ends. No?
    I will double check this...I replace a set of RE bushing last week, I think the old bolts are still rattling around on the floor.
    2006 Rubicon...W/ AtoZ Fabrication rear bumper, 4" on 33's. ; When my wonderful wife lets me drive it.
    AtoZ Fabrication rockers and rear bumper. MM Hydraulic Winch, CB and GPS, MML, 1" BL 33 Engineering TT. JB Conversion's SS-SYE and a Woody DS. NOVAK TC shifter.

Icon920 Brain Fart

I apologize for putting out bad info on the upper control bolt size.
    It is a M10X1.5X78 forget the M14…WTF over…I got the M14 size from the parts manual, go figure.