Thread: What is the best lift kit for a 99 TJ?

Icon920 What is the best lift kit for a 99 TJ?

I am looking for help on buying a 3" or 4" lift kit for my 99 Jeep TJ. I already have a 1.5" body kit on it but want to go higher. I want to know which kit is the best and if there is anything else I need to buy when I get the kit. I do not want a long arm kit because of the difficulty of installation.

Additional Details
    I mostly use my jeep as a daily driver and I use it for trailing and hunting. It has the stock 4.0 with a few engine mods such as cool air intake, stage 2 chip, new headers, exhaust, and a couple other goodies.

I've heard good things about the OME 2.5" kit. It's supposed to ride really nice and I've also heard all the parts are good quality. You would be sitting at 4" of total lift after combining that with a body lift.

I went with a 4" RC, they have a cheap 2.5" kit also. They're kits are more basic and will get the job done but it's not anything special.
    99' TJ 4.0L, 33x12.50 BFG MT, 4" RC Lift
    -D30 4.10 Truetrac
    -S35 4.10 OX
    -SYE & CV Shaft
    -DIY Disconnects
    95' ZJ 5.2L Stock .....RIP

Thats almost like asking what brand of shoes do you like the best.

I personally would not go more than 3" If you go more than 3" you'll need to start looking at control arms, and track bars, and a lot of extra stuff. 3" will give you plenty of lift along with your 1.5" BL. Reguarless you'll need to deal with the rear driveshaft wether it be 3 or 4". Either drop the skid or SYE, something will need to be done.

As far as brand, pick one. I don't think you can go wrong here with any manufacurer. I ran teraflex springs for some time and loved them. I currently have RE springs and love them as well. I don't than any one brand is superior to another. I found my tera springs used and sold them when I moved up. The biggest thing I have found is to spend some money on shocks, and rear shock relocation brackets (to keep the shock off the rear apring pearch). I reccomend gas charged, they drastically affect the ride quality both on and off the pavment. I hope this helps.
    Todd
    1997 TJ with stuff; locked; Dana 300, 4.0:1; RE 4.5" short arm; D44 and HP D30 swap; 4.56's, protected front, rear and underneath; and rollin' on 35's
    2006 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax/Allision :hah:
    1992 BMW 525 sissy stick not included
    2004 BMW X5 3.0i
    2004 Burke trailer (Of Elon, NC)

i have the RE 3.5 superflex along with a 1 in. body lift. i like it a lot. you really do get what you pay for. the RE kit is top notch, and that is why it is more money than the other basic 3-4 in. kits. after doing the lift it was deff worth the money for me. it came with JKS quick disconects (which are amazing, they came with relocators too so i just flip the links up and mount them under my fenders with the pins when im wheeling)

my one buddy just got a zone 4 in kit, and that is not bad. he paid half of the price i paid and it is a good quality lift, but he does not nearly have the off road amentities that my RE kit came with.

if you are going to do a SYE kit too i would get a kit that came with rear adjustable upper control arms. they are nessasary for the SYE/driveshaft upgrade and mine as well grab them with the lift kit.

I'm running a Rough Country 3.25" kit and like it a lot. With my JKS body lift, the clearance is about perfect with my 33's.

With 33's

With 35's

2004 TJ Rubicon
    4" Superlift w/RC 2.2 Shocks
    Cragar V5's with 33x12.50 MTR's
    Discos and a JKS 1.25" BL

www.vanc4x4.net

Registered

I agree al lift kits are about the same, shocks and other fine details is what sets others apart. I have a 3" BDS kit and I love it, great disconnects and came with lower control arm cam bolt kit! rides great performs great, only complaint is to much bump stop up front! Great kit for the money!
    01 TJ 4.0, 3.73's, D44 LSD, NV3550, 3" BDS, 33 BFG AT's, custom bumper with XD9000

86 CJ7 Junkyard MPFI 4.0 head swap, 32's frame off
    resto-mod. SOLD
    83 CJ7 350 TBI, SM465, D300 Twin stick, D44 locrifht front, OX in rear, SOA, 38.5 SX. SOLD
    96 ZJ 4.0 np242, 4.10's, 4.5 RE S/F, on 32 BFG KM. SOLD

Registered

If you wheel a lot and often I would recommend Currie. If your on the street more often, then rubicon express. That's what I went with. If your just looking for verticality then the RC is probably more appropriate.

I don't know how it will look with 1.5" BL on top of 4" of suspension. That's a lot. Personally, I would do the 4" lift and lose the BL. That's just my worthless input.
    Marco

2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #0040 of 1000
    4.5 RE SF w/3.5" springs
    WARN Rear bumper/tire carrier
    AEV Bridger's & 33" MTZ's coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tang419 View Post
    I'm running a Rough Country 3.25" kit and like it a lot. With my JKS body lift, the clearance is about perfect with my 33's.

Tang, how do the 2.2 RC shocks ride? I'm considering buying this kit but am worried about a posssible stiff ride. Right now I have skyjacker nitros (which suck) so I'm wondering if you or anyone else out there would agree that these shocks are an upgrade from the skyjackers.
    97' Jeep Wrangler Sport 32X 9.50 Super Swamper TSLs on black wagons 2 inch Budget Boost Powertrax No-Slip Dana 35C Warn M8000 Airaide Cold Air Intake Poweraide Throtle Body Spacer Custom 160 AMP alternator Bosh +4 platinum plugs Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad edition PIAA Fogs KC Daylighters 150 sealed beam alpine headunit Sirius Satalite 4 channel alpine amplifier VX3002 planet audio amp 2 10" JL Audio W3v3s :chugger:

Quote Originally Posted by sallittjob View Post
    Tang, how do the 2.2 RC shocks ride? I'm considering buying this kit but am worried about a posssible stiff ride. Right now I have skyjacker nitros (which suck) so I'm wondering if you or anyone else out there would agree that these shocks are an upgrade from the skyjackers.
    Mine ride's better than my brother's LJ with a Skyjacker kit. It's a little rougher than stock, but nothing terrible.
    2004 TJ Rubicon

www.vanc4x4.net

Registered

Talk about asking a loaded question!! Just remember, you get what you pay for... Good luck. (By the way, my 2" BDS works GREAT!!)
    98 TJ 2" BDS 132k SOLD
    00 TJ stock 78K
    96 XJ RIP, damn drunk drivers
    98 XJ traded in
    04 WJ stock 145K
    93 YJ RIP

Yes you do, and the new RC stuff is top notch and they have the best customer service in the business, hands down ! I didnt get a rear track bar bracket with my kit, and they GAVE me a set of discos for the extra trouble.
    2004 TJ Rubicon

www.vanc4x4.net